PDA

View Full Version : Gave my notice

crazy mark
02-11-2014, 11:39 AM
Told my bosses what day I will retire. April 7th. After 36.5 years where I work I think I deserve to retire. Will be moving stuff to Pe Ell with the remaining time. Wife wants back up there bad. She had been living up there for 5 or so years until I had medical problems.

Ben
02-11-2014, 11:42 AM
That's great Mark.
I wish you the best, I hope you'll enjoy it all as much as I'm enjoying mine !

Ben

greenmntranger
02-11-2014, 12:03 PM
Congratulations man .....36+ years at the same job....you've earned it

osteodoc08
02-11-2014, 12:09 PM
Congrats on a job well done. Retirement is deserved.

jonp
02-11-2014, 12:12 PM
I can't seem to make 36 months in the same job. Good for you and congrats on the retirement.

shdwlkr
02-11-2014, 12:16 PM
crazy mark
I lasted at my place of employment for 36 years and yes it was time to walk away. To much political cr*p to deal with and everyone was starting to back bite everyone else.

Been retired for a decade and looking to go back to work so I have spending money.

Hickory
02-11-2014, 12:22 PM
Now, you can eat when you're hungry, and sleep when you're tired.

horsesoldier
02-11-2014, 12:45 PM
Pe ell? Been there, fiance is from boisfort. Enjoy your retirement!

Freightman
02-11-2014, 12:54 PM
Been retired for 20 years would I go back to work -------Crud no!

woody1
02-11-2014, 01:34 PM
Congratulations Mark. I guess we can allow you to join the ranks of the retired after that long. I don't know why I waited until I had 40 in before I pulled the plug. Now, I have so many irons in the fire, I sometimes wonder how I had the time to work! Regards, Woody

Dean D.
02-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Congratulations Mark!

HarryT
02-11-2014, 01:50 PM
Congratulations! I've been retired for eleven years and am still loving it. Spend lots of time with the people you love and doing things that you enjoy.

schutzen
02-11-2014, 02:54 PM
Congratulations!

A couple of quick tips.
1) Set a routine and try to stick to it. You will feel better if you go to bed every night at X hour and rise every day at X hour. The real beauty of this is if you do want to deviate from routine, there is no penalty. Stay up late, sleep a little later, then resume your routine the next night.
2) The priority for hunting and fishing just moved up 25 places.
3) A nap is a terrible thing to waste.
4) Don't forget to do a honey-do job at least once a week. Remember, she has put up with you for years.

Enjoy your retirement, you earned it.

TCFAN
02-11-2014, 03:53 PM
Retirement make every day seem like it is Saturday............Terry

uscra112
02-11-2014, 04:10 PM
Is PeeEll shorthand for Puyallup? Where the birds build their nests upside down?

Congrats on retirement, though. I've been out almost 5 years now. Don't miss the job at all.

crazy mark
02-11-2014, 05:15 PM
Shooting range is like 2 miles from my house. $30 a year to shoot. I knew the gentleman the range is named after because I used to live next door to his parents when I was a kid and my Great Uncle hung out with him. I helped build the house when I was in High School. Other than the 7 years in Calif and 37.5 in Oregon it has always been my home. I spent as much time as possible with my parents and Grandparents. I can actually fish in the creek in the back yard. My wife won't let me kill any deer however.

mold maker
02-11-2014, 05:31 PM
Ya gonna find out the days are shorter, and the list of things you haven't finished is longer.
Have fun, it's all about time.

pdawg_shooter
02-11-2014, 06:37 PM
I quit last Wednesday. Opened the shop at 7:00 The boss came in at 8:00 and I handed him my keys. I was there fr 32 years. Went blind in my left eye last summer, and the right is getting worse every day. Lost my wife a year ago and have no kids. I am 62 and with what I can draw from S.S., my IRAs, and what I have in the bank, I can draw a bit more than I did working for the next 22 years. Then I can sell my house and 80 acres of farm for enough to last another 15+ years. Enough is enough. I am loving retirement!

smokeywolf
02-11-2014, 06:54 PM
Retired (sort of) for 4 years now. Don't understand the guys that speak of boredom after retiring. I don't understand how I ever found the time to go to work. I do much of the shopping and taxiing kids around and the rest of the time I'm going back and forth to the reloading bench, machine shop, casting/smelting patio, computer, dog (wolf) walking and the occasional honey-do.
The days were never long enough when I was commuting back and forth to work and now they're even shorter.

smokeywolf

shooter93
02-11-2014, 06:54 PM
Congrats and glad it's what you want. I'm a bit odd I guess.....I've been doing my job very nearly 50 yrs and the thought of ever retiring scares me worse then death.

Firebricker
02-11-2014, 07:04 PM
Mark, Congratulations ! I truly hope you and your wife enjoy a good long retirement. Also hope that deer restriction gets lifted LOL. FB

MrWolf
02-11-2014, 08:00 PM
Congrats on the retirement. I can't wait till it is my time but still have two in college and a boat load of bills.

fatelk
02-12-2014, 12:12 AM
Congrats Mark. Your place in PeEll sounds great, especially with more time to shoot.

So there should be an opening at the hospital now, huh? Just kidding of course. I'm pretty happy where I am now.

Enjoy your upcoming freedom!

RugerFan
02-12-2014, 02:12 AM
Congrats! Enjoy your retirement.

MaryB
02-12-2014, 02:30 AM
Enjoy retirement! I spent 27 years repairing electronics after high school(well 29 years if you count in high school) and was forced to retire at 46 with a bad back. Still find things to do, starting a small part time business I can do on my time with no real schedule. Head to the range when I feel like it, have time to cook middle of the week...

Lloyd Smale
02-12-2014, 07:39 AM
31 years before the back took me out of the picture. Hope you enjoy retirement half as much as me!!

beezapilot
02-12-2014, 08:14 AM
Congratulations!!!!!! I retired two years ago, I've dropped 18 pounds, feel like I lost 10 years in age, and my feet usually hit the floor at 0430 as I am too excited with the prospect of MY day to stay in bed. Hope that you have as much fun!

farmerjim
02-12-2014, 08:39 AM
Congratulations! I did mine 20 years ago. Best thing that I ever did. Now every day is like Monday, a new week to do with as I choose.

ourflat
02-12-2014, 08:56 AM
Congrats on your retirement! I retired in 2005 and wife retired last year. We moved from Illinois to NC and never looked back! Always wanted a graduate degree, returned to college at the young age of 50 to earn my MBA. Replaced the old motorhome, and have a year of trips planned to travel across the states.

Frank

LaPoint
02-12-2014, 11:28 AM
I am envious of you guys & gals that have retired and are putting your retirement to good use! I have about 4 yrs to go before I can join your ranks. I don't want to think about it too much though. I'm afraid that if I do that is all I'll think about. For 9 months of the year I love my job, the other 3 months I can still tolerate. My plan is to be busier when I'm retired than I am now. It has worked for my parents for the last 20+ years.

Whiterabbit
02-12-2014, 01:27 PM
Excellent. And when your work fails to prepare properly for your retirement, you can offer to be hired back as a consultant for 20-30 hrs a week for $300 an hour. That'll last about a month as they get up to speed REAL quick so they can fire ya! Little bump to kick off retirement :)

John Allen
02-12-2014, 02:02 PM
Congrats Mark, enjoy it.

Char-Gar
02-12-2014, 02:05 PM
I spent 37 years with the same outfit, albeit in different places and packed it in 6/2008. I found the adjustment difficult, but have made the transition. Enjoy your retirement.

Ickisrulz
02-12-2014, 02:22 PM
I often feel guilty that I am only 46 and have been retired for more than 5 years. Am I contributing to society? I wonder. I spent 20 years in the USAF moving around and a cumulative of almost 3 years separated from my wife. We made good financial decisions and are now homeschooling our two boys. I am seldom bored. Maybe someday I will find a part time job.

w5pv
02-12-2014, 02:48 PM
It took me about 3 miles and a few minutes to realize that I didn't have to return unless I wanted to,Congradulations and enjoy your retirement.

crazy mark
02-12-2014, 04:00 PM
Excellent. And when your work fails to prepare properly for your retirement, you can offer to be hired back as a consultant for 20-30 hrs a week for $300 an hour. That'll last about a month as they get up to speed REAL quick so they can fire ya! Little bump to kick off retirement :) In my case a contractor said they would pay about 1 grand a week for consultation. Told them that wasn't enough money. It would be a six month to a year project. Once gone I want to stay gone. Let the younger ones step up and deal with it. :-)

Hardcast416taylor
02-12-2014, 06:03 PM
Retired from final job back in `03. The next day I started another full time job of being a fulltime pain-in-the-a** to my wife. I only made it 35 1/2 years at my last job as an industrial plumber.Robert

Norbrat
02-12-2014, 07:06 PM
Congratulations and enjoy!

Our plans are to semi-retire and move to Airlie Beach in Queensland in August. We have already bought the house and SWMBO had her last day of full time work last Friday.

I will keep working until early August, then finalise eveything for the big move.

I'm not sure that I would completely retire as otherwise I would be working full time for SWMBO on the never ending "Honey Do" list and she doesn't pay enough and is too fussy as a boss! :grin:

edler7
02-13-2014, 12:17 AM
Congratulations, Mark.

I think you will find retirement is highly under rated. It's GREAT! Remember Saturday morning as a kid ? That's retirement in a nutshell.

Well done, sir !

02-13-2014, 12:45 AM
Enjoy!

Grumpy Joe
02-13-2014, 08:43 PM
KUDOS I made it 20 years jumping fences chasing kids and gave up a couple years ago. I make good money with my retirement and bought a small shop selling stuff. I have just enough to play with my guns and hunt occasionally but I found the money was not enough for all I wanted to do. I will build up this lil store and sell it when the other investments mature. THen it is all about driving a motorhome everywhere I can. THe shop keeps me busy and a treadmill keeps me active for now. Keep flexible, active but I always said, " Two kinds of people in a retirement home, skinny ones tied to a bed screaming and happy fat ones partying in the dayroom." I will go out fat dumb and happy. If you like ice cream eat it, if you want donuts eat them. Keep things in moderation but enjoy the time you have. We may bump into each other sometime while driving up and down the coastline.

MtGun44
02-14-2014, 11:03 AM
Best wishes, getting close myself.

Bill

jlchucker
02-14-2014, 12:44 PM
Free at Last! Free at Last! Thank heavens you're free at last! :-D Enjoy your retirement. It'll take you perhaps a week to get used to it, but in the end you'll enjoy it.