PDA

View Full Version : TC Hawken Anniversary

JudgeBAC
02-10-2014, 09:32 PM
Just picked up a brand new TC Anniversary Hawken .50 for $250.00. No box but after taking it apart and cleaning it, Im pretty sure its never been fired. All of my current muzzleloaders are fast twist so I need some advice for loads and boolits for the 1-48 twist. Also, is a spit fire nipple or other hot nipple necessary? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Maven
02-10-2014, 09:38 PM
I used to own a T/C Hawken, charged mostly with Pyrodex RS no less, and had no difficulty worth mentioning getting it to fire using the standard nipple and CCI #11 caps.

Squeeze
02-10-2014, 09:40 PM
80-90 grn real black, .495 roundball and a .015 patch should be a good starting point. no special nipple required, But there are many different 1/4 -28 thread nipples, make sure what you get is for the TC rifle. some are longer shank and bottom out before tightening.

1980Harley
02-14-2014, 09:15 AM
I have a Hawken I purchased over 30 years ago and have tried many different combinations over the years with it. For hunting, I use the Lee 320 gr. REAL bullet. It gives me the best cast bullet accuracy, wound channel, and stopping power for whitetails. I've used BP, Pyrodex and for the first time this year I purchased some Triple 7. With a hunting load, the different powders shot relatively the same size groups. The only difference came with the cleaning methods. I don't seem to get much better accuracy when I've tried sabots, maybe because I use open sights.

Omnivore
02-14-2014, 05:33 PM
I HAVE gotten the OCCASIONAL hang-fire when using Pyrodex RS and the factory nipple, but not with real black powder. With good cleaning, pre-loading and loading practice, either black or Pyro should be just fine with the factory percussion system.

That being said; if I were going to replace the nipple for better ignition (which I haven't, mind you, and this is my hunting rifle) I'd get a regular musket nipple-- The musket caps are considerably more energetic than any of the #11 percussion caps, plus I think they're a bit easier to remove at those times you're climbing a tree or whatnot and you want to de-prime.

I've used a tight fit, patched round ball over 110 grains Goex 2F in my 48" twist sidelock rifle on deer, and it whacks them pretty good. So far I haven't been compelled to switch, but maybe sometime I will. My Fall 2013 buck got the bejeebus whacked out of him-- One ball was very effective medicine. Penetration has never been a problem either.

shdwlkr
02-17-2014, 02:31 PM
Well I have opened the nipple on some of TC's to get more flame to the powder worked for me and yes I use Mag caps just cause that was what the store had. I have used Pyro, bp and hope to try triple 7.

Cleaning is always with hot water and dawn dish soap always seemed to clean my TC's.
Powder I try to stick with 3f or something of similar type.

As to opening that nipple I used a set of actene torch drills the one that was just a hair bigger than the factory opening. Yes I did open one up a lot more and got not so good results. The hammer flew all the way back to full cock that nipple went into the trash can real fast.

Also when using 3f powder in large muzzle loaders cut the load by 10-20% of what you would use of 2f otherwise you could have another not so good result. Yelp tried a lot of dumb things over the years and learned from most of them.

Another issue is many say to use only pure lead in a patched ball in a muzzle loader but ww lead will work if it isn't too hard or large to fit into the barrel. Remember the ball is riding the patch so it doesn't have to touch the rifling. Would I use lyman #2 lead nope not ever too hard. You do want the ball soft enough too change shape when it connects with your target.

triggerhappy243
02-22-2014, 07:19 PM
I cast and shoot the maxi-ball and at 100 yards and a little practice you will be grinnen.

JudgeBAC
02-27-2014, 09:17 AM
Day before yesterday finally got around to shooting the TC. Cloverleaf group at 50 yards with factory sights. TC 370 gr. Maxi Ball 95 hrs. by weight Goex FFG and RWS cap. Couldnt be more pleased. Now I have to find a maxi ball mold.

triggerhappy243
03-03-2014, 02:44 AM
Judge, lyman makes that mold. it is a steel mold, I have one and I love it. I picked up a lee R.E.A.L. mold and will start casting and testing that one too.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
03-05-2014, 03:09 PM
my 1:48 barrel likes a .490 round ball and a 320 gr real just fine

then again i haven't found anything that wouldn't shoot a patched round ball decent with the right patch and powder charge