PDA

View Full Version : Traveling through Canada with guns?

mpbarry1
02-10-2014, 05:00 PM
a friend is moving to alaska and is wondering what the rules are? I know hand guns are a no no. when i went up in the 80s we took long guns. any ideas on current regs?

starmac
02-10-2014, 05:16 PM
If it is not a restricted firearm, which most hunting type aren't. You just stop at the US customs before you enter Canada, and they will check the serial numbers and give you a form with them listed. They have to know the barrel lengths, so I write a list down with the serial # and model numbers. They will check the serial #, but it speeds the paperwork to have everything written down. When you get to Canadian customs, they will recheck them, So have them easily accessible in cases of some sort. Then gladly take your cash for a permit 50 bucks iirc, and tell you to have a nice trip through their country. If he has any evil black rifles, they will probably have to be shipped.

Apocalypse
02-10-2014, 06:19 PM
From the RCMP FAQ:

"If you are a non-resident and are using a Non-Resident Firearm Declaration to bring a restricted firearm to Canada for an approved purpose , you should contact the applicable CFO in advance to apply for an Authorization to Transport (using form RCMP 5490). The CFO offices can be contacted by phoning the Canadian Firearms Program’s contact centre at 1-800-731-4000. The hours of operation of the contact centre are Monday to Friday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. nationwide. "

Note that any AR platform is Restricted, as are any handguns with a barrel longer than 4.5 inches. Shorter barrel is Prohibited, as are all AK-like platforms including .22LR look alikes.

But hey! At least we get to have any shotgun barrel length we want, depending on other restrictions.

wlc
02-10-2014, 06:40 PM
And to add to the above. IIRC the limit is no more than 5000 primers and/or loaded ammo in any combination. Powder is limited to 8kg (I think). Evil black rifles and most, if not all handguns will have to be shipped up to an ffl.
The Canadian .gov has a website with the actual regs on it. Just google traveling through Canada with firearms.

Where in AK is your friend moving to? Military?

Duckiller
02-10-2014, 07:15 PM
Have your friend call the 800 number! Was going to Alsaka last year then I got sick. Better noiw but not sure when I will try again. Anyway people ont the other end of the 800 number are very helpful. THey have the attitude that its their country and they have different rules and Americans traveling through will obey the rules if we know them and they are there to let you know what the rules are. Hand guns can be transported through Canada if the barrels are long enough and you have the proper permit(s). RCMP (the 800#) are very helpful.

starmac
02-10-2014, 09:13 PM
Long guns can be mailed if he has a restricted one. He can mail it to himself in care of a friend without going through an ffl.

there is a way to carry some handguns through, but you have to get a permit before hand, not just show up at the border.

Duckiller
02-10-2014, 10:28 PM
Lots of luck finding a company that will let you mail a gun to yourself. ATF says it is legal but neither UPS or FedEx will talk to you unless you a mailing to an FFL holder. At least that has been my experience.

TreeKiller
02-11-2014, 01:17 AM
Since Alaska is part of the USA use the Post Office to mail your guns. Check with them for the regulations. Unless you are in a big city it should be no problem. If you have a problem call the postal inspectors for the regulations and go in armed with the regulations and make the clerk squirm. Insure them for at least twice what they are worth in case someone messes them up.

wlc
02-11-2014, 01:23 AM
Lots of luck finding a company that will let you mail a gun to yourself. ATF says it is legal but neither UPS or FedEx will talk to you unless you a mailing to an FFL holder. At least that has been my experience.

US Post office. Mailed from yourself to yourself is perfectly legal. No handguns through the mail unless to/from and ffl.

starmac
02-11-2014, 02:02 AM

That is why we use the post office. Some of them don't know the rules, but they can learn. lol

mpbarry1
02-11-2014, 02:16 AM
mailing them to yourself looks like a winner to me! thank you very much guys! ill let him know!

Bulldogger
02-11-2014, 11:43 AM
Starmac, can you show us the regs that say the USPS will ship. to self or otherwise? I thought it was only if you are an FFL and have filled out forms with the local postmaster, then can ship to another FFL. I'd love to be able to ship to an FFL or myself USPS. It's terribly expensive to ship guns FedEx, but I've done it.
Bulldogger

thomashoward
02-11-2014, 07:03 PM
My gunsmith mails USPS signed certified receipt after re barreling. I go to PO they check my ID and I sign and walk.
UPS will leave it on my front steps!@#$%^&

jaysouth
02-12-2014, 12:20 AM
My gunsmith mails USPS signed certified receipt after re barreling. I go to PO they check my ID and I sign and walk.
UPS will leave it on my front steps!@#$%^&

Open this link: Go down to 3.0

My sources inside the USPS tell me that you do not have to declare that a long gun is contained in the package. Merely answer their questions about liquids, fragile, etc. In the past I have declared unloaded and unassembled firearms are contained in the package and are being mailed to a licensed gun dealer, manufacturer etc. And the response has always been, "you will have to ship it registered". Which is not the case.

I have shipped handguns to FFLs on a completed 1508 form. I have never experienced any serous questions or even cursory examination of the form from counter personnel. Of course the form was signed by a licensed dealer and I was his "messenger" or mailboy.