PDA

View Full Version : PC area

jacobslagle018
02-10-2014, 04:36 PM
Just wanted to ask a quick question. I know to cast in a ventilated area, or better yet outside, but can I bake boolits inside? I have my little oven with multiple rounds that need a coat, but here comes the snow...If there are bad fumes, I could open the garage and coat/bake beside the door if that would be better. Thanks guys!

popper
02-10-2014, 05:37 PM
I bake in the garage, with the side door open. That said, the door is next to the oven so I just step outside till the dinger sounds. Sometimes I need to wear a heavy coat. PC takes longer so I just check my watch and go inside.

jacobslagle018
02-10-2014, 05:41 PM
The only bad part about my garage is that it is under the house. Would baking be a problem if I left the oven beside the open door?

popper
02-10-2014, 05:58 PM
No. Any ventilation/breeze will do. PC does have a slight odor when baked. Most condensed material will coat the inside of the oven. I would advise recycling PC coated OUTSIDE.

prickett
02-10-2014, 11:30 PM
I bake indoors. I've grown a second head, though :-)

Seriously, I have an enclosed back room in the basement I bake in. I close the door and watch TV in the other part of the basement. Never noticed any unpleasant odor (or even a pleasant odor) from the process.

Walter Laich
02-11-2014, 01:09 AM
When I started out I baked in kitchen. Even wife, who has the most sensitive nose in North America, didn't notice any odor
I have since been banished to the garage but that's because I was taking up so much counter space

mdi
02-11-2014, 01:25 PM
I bake/cure in my 12x18 shop. It's pretty rainy here and the windows are closed, but I have not noticed any fumes/odors from cooking PCed bullets. Now when I sprayed some bullets with epoxy from a can, I had to open the door and turn on my casting fans...

bangerjim
02-11-2014, 05:27 PM
I bake in front of my back shop. Even with the oven outside, if I leave my shop door open the smell comes in. I describe it as a slightly pungent smell....not too pleasant, but tolerable.

That said, my wife would banish me to the shop if I EVERY baked that stuff inside! Lucky for me, here in AZ, we are in the upper 70's this week.......hitting 87 by Sat! OMG!

WE NEED RAIN!

banger

dverna
02-12-2014, 09:08 PM
Banger,

I envy you. Heck in July/August you can just put the racks in the sun and eliminate the oven altogether.

Don Verna