PDA

View Full Version : Poll: One powder only

jonp
02-10-2014, 01:53 PM
A new poll like this has not been done for some time and I am interested in the responses and whether they have changed with the powder shortage. Has your favorite changed because of the shortage being what you can get and use over several firearms or are you still holding out for a specialty powder.

Please post what you have or have not changed and why. I have changed from picking up what looks interesting to 3 then 2 and now am saving my money for Unique when it pops up somewhere as it can be used in everything I am likely to shoot. Not the best for all applications but it's breadth of usage is hard to match and you could get by with just Unique on your shelf if you had to.

Bonz
02-10-2014, 02:02 PM
Alliant PowerPistol can be loaded in every pistol cartridge that I know of. I use it in .380 all the way to .500. Truly is not my first choice for all pistol calibers but its the only powder that I know of that works well in all pistol calibers.

DeanWinchester
02-10-2014, 02:02 PM
There ain't much I can't do with Unique. They named the powder appropriately. Not much out there that can do as much across such a broad spectrum.

jonp
02-10-2014, 02:03 PM
Alliant PowerPistol can be loaded in every pistol cartridge that I know of. I use it in .380 all the way to .500. Truly is not my first choice for all pistol calibers but its the only powder that I know of that works well in all pistol calibers.

Exactly. Unique is not the best in a lot of things but can be used most everywhere.

jmort
02-10-2014, 02:06 PM
Unique

Bullshop
02-10-2014, 02:14 PM
I refuse to think it! Its an impossible task. When I try I can smell smoke.

M-Tecs
02-10-2014, 02:19 PM
One more Unique fan. First powder I loaded and after 50 plus pounds I haven't found a good reason to change.

dragon813gt
02-10-2014, 02:20 PM
I can do one pistol/magnum/rifle. But not one total. The shortage isn't at that level for me to even consider it.

possom813
02-10-2014, 02:25 PM
There ain't much I can't do with Unique. They named the powder appropriately. Not much out there that can do as much across such a broad spectrum.

^What he said!

farmerjim
02-10-2014, 02:27 PM
Unique if I could only have 1. I have not made any changes in what I use because I have all of them in sufficient quantities. That may change if shortages last much more than a year longer.

captaint
02-10-2014, 02:50 PM
Were it not for the fact that Unique meters terribly, I would have chosen Unique. Instead, I had to go with WW231. I'm not a fan of the little scoops. Mike

paul edward
02-10-2014, 03:12 PM
Why just one? I could probably get by with two, one for rifle and one for pistol.

Keyston44
02-10-2014, 03:25 PM
I picked Unique also. It works for all the hand guns I load for and I've used it in most the rifles.

Key

MUSTANG
02-10-2014, 03:37 PM
Despite the fact I have not located even a single pound of it to buy in over two years:

UNIQUE

dondiego
02-10-2014, 04:08 PM
Unique because I make my own black powder.

ShooterAZ
02-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Unique here..it can make any gun go bang. May not be the best application for all...but it works.

Radarsonwheels
02-10-2014, 04:28 PM
I use accurate #9 a lot. Also 4227

s1120
02-10-2014, 04:39 PM
about the only powder that will work in the cartridges i need to load is unique. Well 2400 would work also, but that would loose any chance of downloading....

jonp
02-10-2014, 04:57 PM
One powder only if squeezed to it

Socal147
02-10-2014, 05:42 PM
44 Magnum ~ Unique
500 Magnum € Unique
45/70 ¥ Unique

Nrut
02-10-2014, 05:50 PM
Silly game..

jmort
02-10-2014, 05:50 PM
"Silly game.."

Don't play/post.

9 mm Unique
.38/.357 Unique
.223 Unique
.308 Unique
12 gauge Unique

CGT80
02-10-2014, 05:59 PM
I haven't tried unique yet.

I have a ton of red dot. It is nice for light rifle loads and works in all of my pistol loads. I am burning up a half a big steel keg of herco right now, for the 30-30 and 30-06. It does great in 30-06 with pb boolits. I am having trouble at 160 yards in the 30-30. My previous boolit and red dot was good at 160 in the 30-30. Metering sucks on herco. Red dot is slightly better for metering but not like my favorite powder- hp-38/win 231.

The only powder I bought recently was aa 5744 to use in my 460 mag medium loads. It seems well suited for that. I also started to load 30 carbine with boolits and 2400, so I will need to get more of that. I have win 296 for the 460 hot loads, but I am not sure if I want to try that in 30 carbine. I think I have an old can of unique in the drawer too.

willvabch
02-10-2014, 07:05 PM
Unique goof pistol powder, never tried it in a rife cartridge

btroj
02-10-2014, 07:10 PM
I don't even use Unique and I chose it.

I tend to use lots of 2400 for rifle cast loads but it doesn't handle all the pistol rounds near as well as Unique.

jonp
02-10-2014, 07:25 PM
Iran and China have banded together and have missle boats off both coasts, the zombies are coming over the wall, the epa just declared powder too dangerous for the peons and obama just declared martial law. You have to grab your rifles, pistols and reloading gear and boogie. Only room for one powder. What is is?

6bg6ga
02-10-2014, 07:27 PM
I use 231 for everything I load in pistols.

mpbarry1
02-10-2014, 07:27 PM
I worry that Hodgson will see this, buy alliant, and discontinue it! lol

waco
02-10-2014, 07:28 PM
I voted for Unique as well. Not too much it can't do if you HAD to make it work.

6.5 swede
02-10-2014, 07:45 PM
would have to be unique

jonp
02-10-2014, 07:48 PM
Silly game..

Yeah? Hurricane Katrina is bearing down and you cant take all of you powder when you are evacuating. What one powder will get it done for you?

dragon813gt
02-10-2014, 07:57 PM
Iran and China have banded together and have missle boats off both coasts, the zombies are coming over the wall, the epa just declared powder too dangerous for the peons and obama just declared martial law. You have to grab your rifles, pistols and reloading gear and boogie. Only room for one powder. What is is?

I am grabbing all the loaded ammo and not worrying about reloading gear. If anything I would bring along a inertia puller and a Lee loader for 357 and 308 so I could pull down any ammo I come across. I don't forsee running out of loaded ammo for a long time ;)

kweidner
02-10-2014, 08:02 PM
I went bullseye only because of the amount loaded per lb you get. Although unique is more universal, I have found better accuracy from bullseye. It to can be loaded in magnums although not very appropriate.

Jr.
02-10-2014, 08:06 PM
Too many possible good loads for pistol to choose just one lately been on HP 38 and have to go with AA 4350 for all my rifle needs

45-70 Chevroner
02-10-2014, 08:09 PM
Thank heavens for Unique. I chose Unique because so far it does every thing I have needed it for, rifle pistol, shotgun. My only other choice would be Bullseye but it is limited in most applications, it is great for mouse phart loads in rifle and a little above that. By the way "Silly game" is only in the eye of the beholder or shallow minds (no malice intended). I think it made some interesting reading.

bangerjim
02-10-2014, 08:32 PM
Be careful all you Unique-using guys do not bias and scare newer users. Unique is very hard to find and there are MANY cross-reference powders out there that are easy to find and use. In reading this, a new loader would think he cannot do anything unless he has Unique. That is totally misleading and very wrong.

I have 4# of Unique and do not like it and do not use it today. When I run out of everything else, I will mabe use it someday. Older technology...older powder. Newer powders are cleaner and better.

I have migrated to Tight Group and several others readily available as my universal powders. They work with just about everything and various load data is everywhere!

So, please, all you newer guys out there, do not loose faith. Check out what powders you can find, cross-reference them, and load them up! There is life beyond Unique!

Works for me.

bangerjim

Wolfer
02-10-2014, 08:40 PM
I use and prefer unique in my pistols but use mostly 2400 in my rifles. These are so close together I could probaly use either one.
First choice would be unique

jonp
02-10-2014, 08:49 PM
Be careful all you Unique-using guys do not bias and scare newer users. Unique is very hard to find and there are MANY cross-reference powders out there that are easy to find and use. In reading this, a new loader would think he cannot do anything unless he has Unique. That is totally misleading and very wrong.

I have 4# of Unique and do not like it and do not use it today. When I run out of everything else, I will mabe use it someday. Older technology...older powder. Newer powders are cleaner and better.

I have migrated to Tight Group and several others readily available as my universal powders. They work with just about everything and various load data is everywhere!

So, please, all you newer guys out there, do not loose faith. Check out what powders you can find, cross-reference them, and load them up! There is life beyond Unique!

Works for me.

bangerjim
all true but its go time and you can only take one. Ill grab my 12g pumps, 2 45acps, my 45colt and colt lever, otis cleaning kit, lee loaders for each and...i know those 2 8lb jugs of unique. Sorry red dot, ar comp, universal, 2400, bullseye.

btroj
02-10-2014, 08:53 PM

Works for me.

bangerjim

I don't use Unique much at all. Haven't loaded any in a few years and that was some I was given for free.

I still voted for Unique because it still will do it all! I find other powders often are better in a single situation but NO powder can do it all like Unique.

This Is a situation were Unique thrives due to its extreme flexibility.

Now in real world cases I use far more 2400 but sure wouldn't want to load 9 mm with it.

Yep, Unique lives up to its name.

357maximum
02-10-2014, 09:16 PM

In that situation I would grab a gun in a NATO caliber and as much ammo (not powder) that I can carry.......there will be lots of ammo to pick up, proably some cool toys too. :mrgreen:

Petrol & Powder
02-10-2014, 09:17 PM
I can do one pistol/magnum/rifle. But not one total. The shortage isn't at that level for me to even consider it.

Ditto

jonp
02-10-2014, 09:23 PM
In that situation I would grab a gun in a NATO caliber and as much ammo (not powder) that I can carry.......there will be lots of ammo to pick up, proably some cool toys too. :mrgreen:

I like toys. This was not meant to be a survival thread or poll. If things got tuff like you lost your job or you couldnt find powder for months what is the one powder that you could make do with?

jonp
02-10-2014, 09:26 PM

Its not about the current shortage in the main. Try and consider what one powder would you want on hand to satisfy your needs. Read the poll question

dragon813gt
02-10-2014, 09:47 PM
Its not about the current shortage in the main. Try and consider what one powder would you want on hand to satisfy your needs. Read the poll question

I did read it. I use a lot less powders than most people. I use three. HP-38, H110 and W748. Those are all I use so I have no need for just one. I have used others in the past like Unique. I prefer Universal over Unique. Meters like water, burns cleaner and has the same applications as Unique.

And I do know what other powders to use if I can't find the three that I currently use. This is more important to me than picking just one. And I know this is a "fun" thread. But if it really got that bad you would use whatever you could find, or make your own.

357maximum
02-10-2014, 09:58 PM
I like toys. This was not meant to be a survival thread or poll. If things got tuff like you lost your job or you couldnt find powder for months what is the one powder that you could make do with?

I have no answer....picking one powder v.s boolit to head...tough call :mrgreen:

OBIII
02-10-2014, 10:03 PM
I started using Unique back in 74, and have been using it ever since in my pistols. I can also use it in my 30-06's. I always try to maintain a good supply of Unique on hand.

OB

mac60
02-10-2014, 10:18 PM
Yeah, it's unique for me too. It's versatility is hard to beat. I'd hate to be without 2400 though....

kingemandigger
02-10-2014, 10:19 PM
Just a slightly different opinion; I find that Blue Dot can do pretty much anything that Unique can for my applications but is cleaner burning and offers slightly higher performance (being just slower than unique). My favorite Blue Dot load is 13 grains behind 255 grain boolit in 45 colt in rifle. Not too hot but not too shabby either. It can also be used for mag. 12 ga, smaller gauge shotguns, buckshot and slugs, 9mm, .40 s&w, .357mag, 10mm, and a host of others.

jonp
02-10-2014, 10:21 PM
I did read it. I use a lot less powders than most people. I use three. HP-38, H110 and W748. Those are all I use so I have no need for just one. I have used others in the past like Unique. I prefer Universal over Unique. Meters like water, burns cleaner and has the same applications as Unique.

And I do know what other powders to use if I can't find the three that I currently use. This is more important to me than picking just one. And I know this is a "fun" thread. But if it really got that bad you would use whatever you could find, or make your own.

Then of the 3 that you use which one would be the last you would get rid of? Its not that difficult a questionn dont over think it and, again, this is not a survival poll

AlaskanGuy
02-10-2014, 10:24 PM
I would have to grab the 2400.... I dont shoot the 9mm, and can shoot everything I load with 2400, unique is a close 2nd...

yman
02-10-2014, 10:32 PM
Unique for me.

Catshooter
02-10-2014, 11:25 PM
I started loading with Unique. 1974. Wow, forty years ago. My my.

About twenty years ago I ran across a good deal in Universal Clays. I like it better than Unique so it's my 'one'. That and AA 2230 will do all I really need to do.

Cat

Walter Laich
02-11-2014, 12:48 AM
I use Red Dot in everything from .32 up to 12 gauge

Fyodor
02-11-2014, 03:10 AM
TrailBoss

I'm a cowboy action shooter, and with lead bullets and light loads that's just the best out there.

warf73
02-11-2014, 03:27 AM
Red Dot, from 380acp to 480 ruger. I've got a pound of Unique on the bench thats been there almost 5 years, everytime I grab for it the red dot can jumps into my hand. Sometimes the Herco beats down the red dot and it gets used(my #1 & #2 most used powders)but normaly red dot wins.

stephenj
02-11-2014, 03:37 AM
i would go with 2400 .. just because it suits my currant needs a very tiny bit better having more rifles then handguns
but i surely would hate to have to give up unique , or red dot

muskeg13
02-11-2014, 03:58 AM
Of the ones listed: Unique, but 2f Black Powder, and RS Pyrodex are pretty versatile too

butch2570
02-11-2014, 04:59 AM
357 mag,44 mag rifle and revolver, 222, 223, 30 winnie, 12 and 20 ga slugs and shot SR 4756..

Lead Fred
02-11-2014, 07:35 AM
IMR-4895

Not only works in every rifle I own, it was $129 an 8 pounder, so I got lots.
(2002 pricing)

Worn_Holster
02-11-2014, 10:00 AM
Unique only because I found 8#s of it locally, and it make a nice medium load for my 44. Varget for my 308 but it is easier to shoot pistols with so much snow on the ground.

dragon813gt
02-11-2014, 10:17 AM
Then of the 3 that you use which one would be the last you would get rid of? Its not that difficult a questionn dont over think it and, again, this is not a survival poll

Fine, Universal for the reasons I stated earlier about why it's better than Unique.

Alan
02-11-2014, 10:19 AM
2F black. I said Unique in the poll, and mean it, because Blue Dot wasn't in there. #2400 won't work well in 9mm, but that is it's only downside. It CAN work in mag shotshells, and you can download revolvers with it very nicely. One of the most accurate .38 loads I have EVER tried is 158gr swc and very modest dose of #2400 (8 gr. eight point zero) in 6" and 8 3/8" M14 Smiths. First group I tried (at a friend's recommendation) I thought it was garbage, because it looked like 1 of 5 hit the paper, and it keyholed. That produced flyers in every group thereafter, because I knew it was ALL on me.

Butler Ford
02-11-2014, 11:24 AM
@ bangerjim:
Not if the newer user takes the time to read what the topic is about. If your preference is Tight Group, wonderful but admonishing those that consider Unique to be their choice of all purpose powder is NOT "... totally misleading and very wrong".
Dear newer user, have you begun to wonder why so many are choosing Unique as the YOU CAN HAVE ONLY ONE POWDER powder? Notice that almost all have mentioned that it isn't the best at much of anything but can be used in almost everything? 25acp to 500 S&W to 45-70 to 12ga., not my first choice in any but a viable choice in all. So STAYING ON TOPIC, Unique is my second choice. My vote goes to 2400.

BF

jonp
02-11-2014, 11:57 AM
I am grabbing all the loaded ammo and not worrying about reloading gear. If anything I would bring along a inertia puller and a Lee loader for 357 and 308 so I could pull down any ammo I come across. I don't forsee running out of loaded ammo for a long time ;)

I tried to narrow this down for you. For some reason, you are not grabbing loaded ammo but your loading gear and you can only take one powder.

jonp
02-11-2014, 11:58 AM
Why just one? I could probably get by with two, one for rifle and one for pistol.

Because that is the poll question?

jonp
02-11-2014, 12:01 PM

Works for me.

bangerjim

Good points. A person should not be biased because of poll results and change his/her vote depending on what others are doing. This is a well known phenomenon in polling and why the results of polls are not told to a person before voting or answering the question. People here should not be influenced by what others are voting for and answer based on what they are doing/thinking.

Yes but did you vote and answer the question?

jonp
02-11-2014, 12:04 PM
Fine, Universal for the reasons I stated earlier about why it's better than Unique.

You did state Universal over Unique but never answered the poll. No reason to get testy on this, it's just a poll.

Texantothecore
02-11-2014, 12:40 PM
Black powder. It does everything well.

Pigboat
02-11-2014, 01:00 PM
Another vote for Unique.

10 ga
02-11-2014, 01:29 PM
Black powder. It does everything well.

dittos for Tex X2

Holy Black is certainly the most versatile item in the powder line. It will work in everything from CF to matchlocks and will do industrial work too. Cannons to rockets to work and entertainment fireworks. Not temperature sensitive and useful in homemade firearms and modern arms too. It'll probably F up your old 1100 but my Stevens 311, 30-30 lever, 45LC wheel gun and homemade punter and battery guns will shoot it forever. And I can blow stumps out of the ground and holes in the bridge. 10

Elkins45
02-11-2014, 01:58 PM
I know I should have voted for Unique, and I have loaded more Unique than probably any other powder...but I voted for 2400. I can live without target loads for a while if I have to.

RogerDat
02-11-2014, 02:30 PM
Don't have enough experience to answer the poll, believe if you don't know the candidate or issue don't vote. But I do find the information being posted and the poll useful as a guide on what I should be looking for in the store and why.

willvabch
02-11-2014, 03:28 PM
I like bullseye and unique for pistol. Win 748 is my go to powder.

willvabch
02-11-2014, 03:40 PM
I have a big jug of unique, with a handle so I'll grab it first

bangerjim
02-11-2014, 05:12 PM
I use Red Dot in everything from .32 up to 12 gauge

A man after my own heart. I use RD for one of my go-to powders.

banger

bangerjim
02-11-2014, 05:13 PM
Good points. A person should not be biased because of poll results and change his/her vote depending on what others are doing. This is a well known phenomenon in polling and why the results of polls are not told to a person before voting or answering the question. People here should not be influenced by what others are voting for and answer based on what they are doing/thinking.

Yes but did you vote and answer the question?

BEFORE looking..............I voted for OTHER.

banger

paborn
02-11-2014, 05:23 PM
Of the listed powders, Unique can be used in all pistol calibers, and is useful in rifle, but a little too fast for across the board cast loads I'd have said Unique until I tried Power Pisol. It is truly versatile across pistol calibers, and is a little slower, making it more suitable for cast loads generally not exceeding 1800 fps. 2400 is much more suited to cast rifle loads, but too slow for most pistol loads. I guess what I'm saying is any powder with a burning rate around Power Pistol should serve if only one powder was to be had.

dragon813gt
02-11-2014, 05:25 PM
You did state Universal over Unique but never answered the poll. No reason to get testy on this, it's just a poll.

I'm not getting testy. Polls don't work on TapaTalk so I can't answer it.

Super Sneaky Steve
02-11-2014, 07:03 PM
Tightgroup works in every pistol caliber I load for. It's accurate, economical, non-case sensitive, meters well and it's clean.

I'm getting low so I'm switching to whatever I have the most of.

northern smith
02-11-2014, 07:25 PM
i would go for the old so well approved gunpowder. ie. the black powder. otherwise i whould have said uniqe ore something in the same burn rate. approximatly..

selmerfan
02-11-2014, 07:39 PM
Of the choices given, Unique. Other - Blue Dot. Shotgun, pistol, cast boolits, and reduced jacketed loads for everything I shoot. Unique can do similar, but I think Blue Dot does it better. That said, I have at least four pounds of both on the shelf...

blikseme300
02-11-2014, 08:30 PM
Alliant Reloder 7 is my rifle powder of choice.

Outpost75
02-11-2014, 10:40 PM
I went bullseye only because of the amount loaded per lb you get. Although unique is more universal, I have found better accuracy from bullseye. It to can be loaded in magnums although not very appropriate.

Another vote for BULLSEYE!

I never cared for Unique, because its large particle size does not measure well.

I don't use supersonic loads in handguns, preferring bullet weight and shape to do the job. I seldom use gas checks rifle loads. My goals are economy and utility. I use Bullseye in everything from the .32 ACP to .44 Magnum, and the
.45 Colt in handguns, and from Rook rifles to the .375 H&H. A case of four 8-lb. caddies will last longer than I have time left on this earth.

My deer rifle is a .35/.30-30 firing a 260-grain plainbased bullets 1300 fps from a 20" Winchester 1894 at @1300 fps with 9 grs. of Bullseye.

My .30 cal. recreational shooting in .30-'06 and 7.62x54R to 200 yards uses #314299 of wheelweights, without the GC, with 9 grains of Bullseye. My. 375 H&H load is #375449 without GC with 13 grs. of Bullseye for 1300 fps, kills like a .38-55.

My .44 Magnum load is 8 grains of Bullseye with Saeco #441, 260-grain Keith style, which gives 1080 fps from my 5-1/2" Ruger Blackhawk and 3" groupos at 50 ysrds, or 1300 fps from my H&R Handi Rifle with groups 3" at 100 yards and which will perforate a deer from end to end.

If I could have only one powder, Bullseye, you bet!

grampa243
02-11-2014, 11:03 PM
IMR4198 for rifles :)

Unique, for ever thing else.

Nicholas
02-11-2014, 11:29 PM
I started reloading 45 years ago and this was an early question owing to lack of funds. I concluded that Unique was solution.

leadmonkey
02-11-2014, 11:42 PM
Kinda surprised that 231/HP38 isn't more highly thought of.

I suppose I might think higher of Unique if it was easier to accurately meter from my Auto Disk.

singleshot
02-11-2014, 11:46 PM
I chose 2400 b/c it's a better compromise for rifles than unique, but I forgot about my shotguns for a second. I'd go through a lot of 2400 in shotguns.

For all of you that chose unique, universal will do everything and cleaner. Just something to think about.

Catshooter
02-11-2014, 11:58 PM
For all of you that chose unique, universal will do everything and cleaner. Just something to think about.

It also meters like a ball powder, is very forgiving (like Unique is) and is flash suppressed. I like it. :)

Cat

dverna
02-12-2014, 12:34 AM
I have never considered the question. I do not live - or expect to live like that. I have a lot of powder but have more Promo than any other because I shoot trap competitively. I can use it in pistol and cast rifle too - but only if I want to - not because I have to.

I decided not to vote. I am in my sixties and a lifetime supply of powder is within reach. I will continue to stock up on the powders I need for the guns I shoot.

I agree with banger. It is foolish to pick a powder that becomes a compromise unless achieving the best performance does not matter to the user. That is the mindset of mediocrity. If that is your goal - so be it. It is not mine.

There was a comment about "Iran and China have banded together and have missle boats off both coasts, the zombies are coming over the wall, the epa just declared powder too dangerous for the peons and obama just declared martial law. You have to grab your rifles, pistols and reloading gear and boogie. Only room for one powder. What is is?" (note: I did not correct spelling in the quote)

In that scenario, (zombies coming over the wall) I am not grabbing any reloading gear or components. That would be useless weight for a man over 60 to "boogie" with. My choice is simple, the AR15 with a battle vest full of mags, the Glock 22 with three mags, the spare 9mm barrel for the Glock and three 9mm mags (for "salvaged" ammo), and a small pack with essentials.

If powder is declared to dangerous, I am keeping all I have and rationing it.

If martial law is declared, well - let's not go there. Anarchy is never clean or easy. But it still does not mean I only have one powder.

Using my little pea brain to ponder things that will not happen (only having one powder) is not useful. I spend my time figuring what and how much more I need to purchase. Like the commercial says, "More is better".

I feel so out of place. I guess that is the price I pay for being a hoarder.

Don Verna

Ozarki
02-12-2014, 12:43 AM
I tend to agree with Dverna. I have a bunch stored so don't have to rely on just one. Just for fun, I looked at my family of goodies to see what I could feed everybody if I had only one powder and that turned out to be unique. So just to answer the posed question, unique would have to be my choice.

Wes

02-12-2014, 06:29 AM
If we are talking pistol powders then for me AP-50N
If we are talking everything then probably Trailboss, not much chance of getting enough in the 9 to make it function but it will push boolits out the barrel, revolver and rifle loads it's great and I'm fairly sure I could get it to work in shotgun.
Either way my vote goes to other.

Ron in PA
02-12-2014, 09:01 AM
Unique is my go to powder. 45-70, 30-06, 30-30, 45 colt, 357, 44mag and 380.

jonp
02-12-2014, 11:31 AM
I have never considered the question. I do not live - or expect to live like that. I have a lot of powder but have more Promo than any other because I shoot trap competitively. I can use it in pistol and cast rifle too - but only if I want to - not because I have to.

I decided not to vote. I am in my sixties and a lifetime supply of powder is within reach. I will continue to stock up on the powders I need for the guns I shoot.

I agree with banger. It is foolish to pick a powder that becomes a compromise unless achieving the best performance does not matter to the user. That is the mindset of mediocrity. If that is your goal - so be it. It is not mine.

There was a comment about "Iran and China have banded together and have missle boats off both coasts, the zombies are coming over the wall, the epa just declared powder too dangerous for the peons and obama just declared martial law. You have to grab your rifles, pistols and reloading gear and boogie. Only room for one powder. What is is?" (note: I did not correct spelling in the quote)

In that scenario, (zombies coming over the wall) I am not grabbing any reloading gear or components. That would be useless weight for a man over 60 to "boogie" with. My choice is simple, the AR15 with a battle vest full of mags, the Glock 22 with three mags, the spare 9mm barrel for the Glock and three 9mm mags (for "salvaged" ammo), and a small pack with essentials.

If powder is declared to dangerous, I am keeping all I have and rationing it.

If martial law is declared, well - let's not go there. Anarchy is never clean or easy. But it still does not mean I only have one powder.

Using my little pea brain to ponder things that will not happen (only having one powder) is not useful. I spend my time figuring what and how much more I need to purchase. Like the commercial says, "More is better".

I feel so out of place. I guess that is the price I pay for being a hoarder.

Don Verna
I was trying to come up with something off of the top of my head that would get the person I was speaking to to choose one powder not a realistic situation. I have several spam cans and other things I would grab instead of all of my powder.

This is not a poll designed on what is likely or what I expect or anything like that. It's not about one powder that does everything spectacularly either and whether or not I'd feel good about just one when I'd have at least 2 or 3 for different things. It's a poll about what is the one powder you would choose if you could only have one. This is not that difficult and I have a hard time understanding why a number of people feel compelled to branch off into other areas.
Of course we want different powders but what is the one powder that you would choose to cover what you are likely to shoot? What is so hard about that?

Maybe I should have worded the opening post differently to make it easier for people.

dragon813gt
02-12-2014, 01:37 PM
You worded everything properly. Some of us just don't want to consider using only one powder. It's simple on both sides and it's not like the question has to be answered.

jonp
02-12-2014, 02:20 PM
"You worded everything properly. Some of us just don't want to consider using only one powder"

You got that right.

RogerDat
02-12-2014, 03:37 PM

Some of us don't have a varied powder inventory built up, or want to limit expenses. So what single powder we could get away with, or which two (pistol/rifle), and what the posters reload for that influenced their decision is information of value. This does not mean mindset of mediocrity, it means for a single powder (or two) what offers broadest usefulness.

Zeroing in on what is optimum for a specific cast boolit, from a specific alloy mix in an individual firearm is a more recipe oriented subject than this post. A worthwhile pursuit no doubt, and one many if not most will undertake for at least some of what they shoot at some point or another. For myself optimum is icing on the cake, not the starting point. Several times people have commented "I have a jug of xxxx but don't use it". Some folks such as myself don't have $65 to casually drop on a 4# shelf decoration or something that might be "ideal" for a single reloading task.

There is a recipe for everything I shoot in the Lyman Cast Reloading Handbook for Unique, that and the advice of more experienced people made me purchase Unique as a general purpose powder. Good to see the advice I was given backed up by this poll. But noting with interest the comments on Universal being easier to meter.

osteodoc08
02-12-2014, 03:39 PM
2400 for me. I can load all my revolvers and lever actions with it. No mag primer needed. It's good stuff

GeezerinNH
02-12-2014, 07:10 PM
Red dot here, been using it for shotgun 12 gauge load for trap and hunting, 9mm's, 38's, 45's all rifle cartridges I shoot using the 13 grain Harris load.

Have over 20 pounds on hand. I can live with if I have to but I also use many more in this hobby of reloading.

dverna
02-12-2014, 08:57 PM
I had to vote for BL-C2. It had no votes. Why is that?

Don Verna

btroj
02-12-2014, 09:28 PM
How is that BL-C2 working in your 45 ACP?

I would never try to get by on even 5 powders much less one but for the sake of this discussion I chose Unique.

While Unique can work in any cartridge I can think of it doesn't excel in many. Get by and thrive are two different things.

unique
02-12-2014, 10:34 PM
Unique. It was originally released as reduced load rifle powder. I have pamphlet from Hercules from 1933 showing various rifle loads along with several older canisters marked rifle powder on them. It works in shotguns and pistols even better. I have personally loaded it in 218bee, 223, 30-30 303 brit, 7x57, 45-70, 35 rem, 357mag, 38spcl, 20gauge,30-06... well I can't even remember them all but suffice to say in every caliber I ever owned...

It is waterproof, doesn't decompose with normal storage, ignites easy, and has nice linear pressure curve meaning it is a predictable powder.

Some say it meters poorly but I never , ever had bridging problem. It is somewhat fluffy but that contributes to its inherent accuracy since it ignites easily and tends to fill more of the case.

Some say it burns dirty...are there really people who care that it burns dirty??? apparently and that amazes me....well anyway at lower pressures that is true but at higher pressures it burns clean.

If you want one powder that is useful across a wide spectrum then you will not find a more versatile powder than good old Unique

jmort
02-12-2014, 10:42 PM
Nice info. Unique is not position sensitive and works well loaded closer to max. It is no wonder that it is so popular.

Digital Dan
02-13-2014, 08:48 AM
So, about half the folks here go to Unique and the rest wander in the desert. The premise of the poll seems contrived to me, searching for a response intended for purposes I cannot fathom and with choices tilted.

Given the nature of this site and demographic norms in the US, the results are no surprise. Would very likely see something totally different in the world where casting was not the topic of the day.

Just to be contrary, I vote for black powder, pick whatever granulation that makes you all warm and fuzzy. The original shooter's fraternity used black in simpler times. It still works in ALL firearms and cartridges regardless of case volume.

Contrary Dan

jonp
02-13-2014, 09:22 AM
Good grief Dan. Read the first paragraph, post 1.

I couldn't list every powder in a poll so I tried to pick some over a range of burn rates and since shotgun/pistol powders are more likely to be used in rifle than the other way around. That's why there are more of the former than latter.

Or I'm really with DHS and want to find out the most popular powder so I can pull it and cause a mysterious shortage.
Or I'm finding out the most popular, cornering the market and when the apocalypse hits you will all be my slaves because I'll have all the powder.

Digital Dan
02-13-2014, 03:45 PM
I read the first paragraph. I was contrary before I read it and remain unrepentant. Your selection menu doesn't work for me due to the variety of arms I shoot. BP will work in all of them. So I vote for BP.

jonp
02-13-2014, 04:34 PM
I read the first paragraph. I was contrary before I read it and remain unrepentant. Your selection menu doesn't work for me due to the variety of arms I shoot. BP will work in all of them. So I vote for BP.
Nothing wrong with being contrary. It go's hand in hand with being a skeptic

Hickok
02-13-2014, 04:45 PM
Unigue would have to be a universal powder for me. I could load semi auto and mag revolvers. If I could just have two powders, I would add 2400 and never have a regret.

As of yet, I have not been able to locate either one in my travels. I have a little left.

Maybe the Russians or Czechs will start to ship some good powder to the U.S. for a fair price. Then we wont have to listen excuses we get from American manufacturers about why we shooters can't find any.

swheeler
02-13-2014, 04:51 PM
One powder only! What you talkin' bout Willis?

Digital Dan
02-13-2014, 06:05 PM
Nothing wrong with being contrary. It go's hand in hand with being a skeptic

I'm not a skeptic, but I am.....disturbed.

jonp
02-14-2014, 12:28 AM
I'm not a skeptic, but I am.....disturbed.

or disturbing

Big_Blue
02-14-2014, 12:52 AM
I picked Unique also. It works for all the hand guns I load for and I've used it in most the rifles.

Key
Where did you find a recipe for rifles?

jonp
02-14-2014, 09:42 AM
Where did you find a recipe for rifles?

Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook is a good place to start

Photog
02-14-2014, 11:50 AM

Power Pistol will also cycle a 30Carbine and works fine in 30-30 and 30-06 (cast loads).
One day I'll have to try Unique, if I can find it!

Big_Blue
02-14-2014, 11:08 PM
You are right. I had only looked on their web site. Thanks,

Digital Dan
02-14-2014, 11:20 PM
or disturbing

I have that effect on people sometimes.

Trinidad Bill
02-15-2014, 08:55 AM
Pistol - Unique
Rifle - Unique
Shotgun - Unique

I even found and paid dearly for 8lbs on Cabelas several months ago! I should have went for 16.

6bg6ga
02-15-2014, 09:13 AM
Pistol - Unique
Rifle - Unique
Shotgun - Unique

I even found and paid dearly for 8lbs on Cabelas several months ago! I should have went for 16.

And you guys wonder why its getting hard to find some powders

dragon813gt
02-15-2014, 10:02 AM

Because he bought 8#s and thought about buying 16#s. You would hate me if I told you how I order ;)

jonp
02-15-2014, 10:58 AM

Hence the reason for the poll. This is what I expect is happening. General purpose powders like Unique, 2400 etc are very hard to come by but you can seem to find specialized stuff out there that work in a few calibers.

jmort
02-15-2014, 11:17 AM
I have no trouble back-ordering Unique and Blue Dot and get in them a few weeks later. BTW, except for Unique, Blue dot is most useful and should have been on list. More versatile than anything else listed except Unique.

Jr.
02-18-2014, 03:55 AM
So I should switch to ram shot being as it has 0 votes

rhead
02-18-2014, 08:10 AM
Unique! I can build an at least effective load for anything from .32 ACP to 45/70. Something else will work better in most of them.

I lucked into a couple of the old fifteen pound fiber containers several years ago at a good price. i did not think long on whether or not to take it home with me.

Roy Acuffff
02-18-2014, 01:16 PM
50+ years ago when I started reloading it was 25 cents a pound for surplus 4831 in the 03A3 then Unique in everything else because they were easy to get and CHEAP. Which means I could afford the hobby along with casting my own boolits. Unique worked excellent for my use then and now as well. I would and did chose Unique as my one only powder.

Thing about it, I am not going to get in a pi$$ing match about why you use this or that powder. I respect YOUR right to use any powder you can purchase.

Regards
Roy

10 ga
02-18-2014, 10:07 PM

dittos " " X2 for Dan! I voted earlier and couldn't have said it better myself. Plus it will blow stuff up. Shooting guns is nice but blowing stuff up is way more fun. If you shoot artillery ya can do both. Holy Black forever! 10

Mal Paso
02-18-2014, 11:11 PM
IMR SR 4756 Just a tad slower than the mythical Unique. Not having seen Unique in years I think it exists only in load books. 4756 is now on the endangered feces list, to be terminated at the end of this year. We need a Powder Protection Act and a Component Manufacturer breeding program!

Bonz
02-19-2014, 04:07 PM
After reading all of the posts, I wandered into a LGS and found a lone 1# bottle of Unique on the shelf. I'll be loading up some pistol ammo, hopefully I can agree with these posts after using it.

hotbrew
02-19-2014, 04:26 PM
I am so happy that I live in a time when I have so many powders available that there are choices on this poll that I have never used. That being said of the twenty or so powders I have on the shelf Unique is probably the closest to a one powder to rule them all.

hotbrew

bhn22
02-19-2014, 11:30 PM
Gee, I really didn't see Unique ending up as number one!

btroj
02-19-2014, 11:32 PM
Sometimes things just nique up on you......

MTtimberline
02-20-2014, 12:14 AM
Unique is the jack of all trades, master of none.

w0fms
02-20-2014, 02:14 PM
Unique is the jack of all trades.. so I voted for it. but usually I use 231 as my standard because it meters better and is cleaner... But 231 is a little fast to be used in everything ideally...

armorer59
02-20-2014, 08:26 PM
My vote is for good Ole' FF or FFF black powder. I can load pretty much anything with BP and lead. Best of all, I can make my own of each!

jonp
02-20-2014, 10:43 PM
I should have included bp but i was thing smokeless powder that was in tight supply and black is still common

Big_Blue
02-20-2014, 11:23 PM
Your suggestion to look in Lyman got me to studying a bit harder about using Unique in a rifle, even though Alliant doesn't list it. I'm new to reloading, so forgive the ignorance of my questions, but what does it mean to the shooter or to the gun to use a powder which is more powerful than another powder?

I compared Alliant's Reloder 19 recipe against the Lyman recipe for Unique, and I see a very large difference in the weight of powder recommended. Reloader 19 requires 62 grains of powder for a 150 gr 30-06 bullet with a velocity of 2.7k fps, but Unique requires only 9.5 gr for a 130 gr 30-06 bullet with a velocity of 1.4k fps. I couldn't find the same bullet size in both tables--this was the closest I could get.

Reloder 19 requires roughly 6X the amount of powder as Unique. Does this mean that Unique creates the same volume of gas with only 1/6th the amount of powder? Does this difference in the amount of gas translate into more kick for the shooter and more stress for the gun? Maybe not since the Unique driven bullet is only travelling about half the speed of the Reloder 19 bullet.

Since 1 pound of powder is 7000 grains, and the load data is all in grains, does this mean I can load 6X as many bullets with a pound of Unique as I can with a pound of Reloder 19?

Midway sells Reloder 19 for $24/lb and Unique for $18/lb. This means I end up spending less than 1/6th the cost per bullet using Unique.

Other than the fact that Lyman doesn't publish recipes for bullets larger than 130 grains, and the velocity being so much slower with Unique, where's the downside of using Unique instead of Reloder 19?

Similar story with .223/5.56. AR-Comp needs 25.6gr for a 55gr bullet traveling at 3.4k fps, whereas Unique needs only 6.8gr for a 55gr bullet traveling at 1.9k fps. AR-Comp costs $25.5/lb.

Looks like Unique is far superior with lighter bullets at shorter distances.

RobS
02-21-2014, 10:32 AM
Herco

Catshooter
02-22-2014, 01:50 AM
Big Blue,

You've nailed it. None of your thinking is flawed except for the gas volume thing. If the gas volume between those two loads were the same then the velocities would be the same or nearly so. The pistol powder won't produce nearly the pressure (gas volume) of the rifle powder. That's why the velocity is so much lower.

The only problem, really with pistol powder these days is finding it!

A pistol powder used in a rifle cartridge won't deliver the top end velocity. But that isn't always the goal. I use Red Dot in 30-30 for teaching my grandchildren to shoot. They love it, can't get enough of them.

I use Universal Clays (just a modern version of Unique) in 7.62x54 and the wonderful 45-70. A 220 grainer @ 1500 and a 500 grainer at 1250. Neither are at max for the cartridge, but both hit with authority.

You have discovered one of the secrets of reloading. Especially casting and reloading. The 30-30 load I use is cheaper by far than 22 rimfire. The other two I can assemble for about seven or eight cents each.

Too sweet.

Your not as new to reloading as you think. :)

Welcome to the forum.

Cat

newmexicocrawler
02-25-2014, 12:38 PM
231 has data for all pistols.......I have loaded it in everything and in a crunch I have enough to last and would be alright with it. I load all my pistols with different powders but don't have a problem loading it in everything.

Shiloh
02-26-2014, 02:54 PM
For pistol?? Unique works good in everything. Some rifle apps as well. For only one powder I have to go with Unique.

Shiloh

Garyb
02-27-2014, 08:22 AM
Unique for me, but it's the "unique" fellow indeed that can get enough of any one powder to be satisfied with just one.

otter5555
02-27-2014, 11:18 PM
greendot. i load EVERY centerfire i own with greendot. after years of developmental work every caliber i own is also wonderfully accurate with greendot.

pls1911
02-28-2014, 10:13 AM
For all the above reasons UNIQUE is UNIQUE...
.22 hornet through 45/70, from .38 special throgh .45 Colt, it makes a very good powder though not the best in many cases.
Using nothing but UNIQUE, I have had very respectable cast bullet hunts for deer and pigs with .38/.357, .45 colt, 30/30, and 45/70.
Yep... shotguns loads too, birdshot and Buckshot.
Read the load tables, use your head, and UNIQUE simply works.
Maybe it's not the best in anything, but not really BAD in most anything either.

warboar_21
02-28-2014, 03:00 PM
Unique is my most used powder for handguns and shooting cast in rifle so it is by far my most favored powder. I was able to find 10#s several months back so I am in good shape. Since then I have also had to reduce my shooting due to schedule so it looks like i'll weather the storm a little longer.

kawasakifreak77
03-01-2014, 01:09 AM
Unique! I'm beginning to see this powder will take care of anything other than full power rifle loads, which is what I shoot the least of. I'm mostly a wheel gun & shotgun shooter.

Currently I load:

6.5 Swede
.300 *** subs
.357 mag
.45 acp

& soon I'll be loading cast in my new .35 Remington.

Unique covers 4 of the 5 & no more than I shoot the Swede I could live on the Federal moly coated factory rounds.

Runners up would be bullseye, 296 & 4350.

hickfu
03-01-2014, 01:37 AM
Since I reload for myself, my wife, son, daughter, son in law, grandson, neighbor, brothers wifes uncles 2nd cousin twice removed.... Does that mean I get 7 choices?

Doc

enfieldphile
03-01-2014, 01:37 PM
ALL handgun calibers: HERCO! Just a tad slower then Unique, but cooler burning. If it can be done w/ Unique, it can be done w/ HERCO. ;)

Rifle calibers I load (30/06, 308, etc) w/ condom bullets: 4064.

Rifle calibers I load w/ cast boolits bullets: SR4759

JimA
03-03-2014, 07:53 AM
Unique if I could only have one. I like some powders better for some applications but none are as versatile as Unique.

gtgeorge
03-03-2014, 08:03 AM
I chose Red Dot as it is what I have the most of and have developed many loads for but one powder does not do it for me. It is my goto for target shooting loads though.

jm423
03-03-2014, 10:14 AM
Unique, if only can have one. If I can squeak in another, 4895. (H or IMR) Don't guess either is optimal for 25 ACP or 50 BMG, but one or the other will make-do for nearly everything in between.

shaman
03-03-2014, 04:55 PM
First off, I voted "Other" . I loaded a bunch of Unique early on , but I did not like how it metered and switched to TiteGroup. I've used that in all my pistol calibers. For my rifles chamberings, I've used H4895 almost exclusively for years.

Here's my question for y'all: Can Titegroup be used like Unique to make light cast loads for centerfire rifle like 30-06, 35 Whelen, etc. I know you can start with 10 gr of Unique and work up with any centerfire rifle, but if you use Titegroup, do you get a face full of rifle?

Jagdhund
03-03-2014, 05:15 PM
Can't say much different than the consensus, I've used Unique since probably 1967. In the interest of full disclosure, my use now days is mostly restricted to .45 Colt/454190 and case forming, so a pound goes a lot further than it once did. There are almost always better powders, but Unique is a good place to start, especially if your a new caster/reloader and can't afford a big selection of propellants.

Leadbelly
03-04-2014, 09:22 AM
it would be unique!

Grump
03-05-2014, 02:03 AM
I voted Unique but recognize that Herco is just about as versatile. Just not near as much loading data/non-shotgun experience in the world with it. IIRC, it was better than Unique in .357 Mag with bullets heavier than 130-gr. My then-preferred 125s did better with Unique. Or maybe it was the other way around.

Even with all that, Power Pistol runs a close 2nd. Not nearly as much rifle data for it, but I'm brave enough to work up using QuickLOAD as a *guide*, adjusting parameters to match real-life measurements.

TWO powders, one for rifle and one for pistol, would really be more realistic for me. Unique/PP for handguns and reduced loads, and probably Varget for rifle. I gave up avoiding foreign-made stuff but still fear supply problems crossing the Pacific.

Biggs300
03-06-2014, 09:34 PM
I voted for Unique if I could only have one. If I could have two, the other would be Varget.

jonp
03-06-2014, 11:26 PM
Since I reload for myself, my wife, son, daughter, son in law, grandson, neighbor, brothers wifes uncles 2nd cousin twice removed.... Does that mean I get 7 choices?

Doc

No :wink:

Jack Stanley
03-08-2014, 02:53 PM
I can't imagine not having Unique nearby , like they say it may not be the best at one thing but it is the best at making things work .

Jack

grampa243
03-08-2014, 07:05 PM
i voted other but I bought 8lbs of Unique. i still like to have other powders for the AR and j-words.

Catshooter
03-08-2014, 11:57 PM
Actually, I do load 45-70 on a progressive. :)

Cat

bbailey7821
03-09-2014, 12:46 AM
Wow, I guess I'm in the majority for once!

Sig
03-09-2014, 05:02 PM
I've been reloading for 30 years never used Unique but it gets my vote due to solely what I've read & heard about its versatility. I'd really be unhappy with just one powder.:sad:

grampa243
03-11-2014, 04:30 PM
Actually, I do load 45-70 on a progressive. :)

Cat
:goodpost: is there any other way?? :drinks:

Catshooter
03-11-2014, 11:17 PM
I have to tell ya, five of them fat pieces o' brass in a circle on my Ammomaster is very cool looking.

But of course I don't care about that. I just care that I can load 'em all up in such a sweet and easy fashion.

:)

Cat

shaggybull
03-11-2014, 11:25 PM
Unique is my choice has lots of options as the name says

jonp
03-23-2014, 09:21 PM
Looks like this poll has spoken. Unique it is

sisterjim
04-07-2014, 08:42 PM
ADI AP100 is the choice for me downunder. I think it's a bit slower than unique; don't load for pistols but works in all my rifles straight and bottlenecked cases out to 125 yards with cast.

sigep1764
04-08-2014, 12:46 AM
I load one caliber, 9mm. PB meters well, soft recoiling, and clean. But they are discontinuing it so I'll be on the hunt later this year for something else when the 5lbs I just picked up runs out. It should last me around 9000 rounds or so, so I have about 5-6 months to figure it out. Girlfriend discovered why I go to the range every week and now she comes along too. I think I'm in trouble the way she runs through rounds.

9w1911
04-08-2014, 02:13 AM
imr4227

Groovy
04-08-2014, 04:02 AM
Unique since I only load 9mm and 45ACP.

Whitespider
04-08-2014, 07:55 AM
Interesting... I'm really, really surprised that Unique gets so many votes.
Of all my powders (I just counted, I have 43 different powders) Unique is one of the least used. My ½-full 1# canister of Hercules Unique is dated 1987‼ Personally, the only thing I use Unique for is home-brewed revolver bird-shot loads.

If I had to grab just one powder and run Unique wouldn't even make the possibles list. No doubt I'd hesitate for a moment with one hand on W231, the other hand on 2400, while staring hard at the jug of SR7625. I'm thinkin' 2400 would win the battle raging in my head... but I can't be sure without actually being in that desperate of a situation. Likely I'd stop just a few steps from the rack and glance back at the Accurate #5, 1680 and 2230... and a tear would fall thinking about the loss of H380, Red Dot, SR4756, W296, and RamShot Silhouette as I ran out the door...

1bluehorse
04-08-2014, 10:21 AM
[QUOTE=enfieldphile;2661045]ALL handgun calibers: HERCO! Just a tad slower then Unique, but cooler burning. If it can be done w/ Unique, it can be done w/ HERCO. ;)

Not long ago I would have jumped on the Unique bandwagon with others.....that is before I picked up some Herco and started using it.....