PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else keep money in reserve specifically to buy powder when it comes up?

jonp
02-10-2014, 01:49 PM
An emergency fund of 3-6 months worth of bills is recommended to have on hand at all times. Anyone keep some set aside for primers, powders, special firearms they have been looking for so "the trigger can be pulled" on the spot?

s mac
02-10-2014, 02:17 PM
Yes, it's known as ratholeing.

runfiverun
02-10-2014, 04:02 PM
whole separate account with debit card attached.
it's money that can be spent without affecting the household accounts.

dondiego
02-10-2014, 04:10 PM
$100 per month gets squirreled away since I quit smoking 4 years ago!

MKastning
02-10-2014, 04:29 PM
Yep. There is a fixed amount that is allocated weekly that goes into the fun account. (About enough for lunch twice) It is sort of like an "allowance" that kids get for doing chores.

Moulds, powder, primers, guns, and shooting related items are bought using this. It has worked for years. There is an exact duplicate amount that goes into my better half's possession. She isn't buying powder, must be wasting it. :)

pretzelxx
02-10-2014, 04:48 PM
As of now, two hundred a month for reloading gets put aside. Three months from now I'll go back down to 100 and the other hundred to my retirement fund. Maybe just 80, I want more lead

tygar
02-10-2014, 04:52 PM
An emergency fund of 3-6 months worth of bills is recommended to have on hand at all times. Anyone keep some set aside for primers, powders, special firearms they have been looking for so "the trigger can be pulled" on the spot?

Na, I just wing it. If I don't have it, I buy it anyhow. Just like now, have a custom CB rifle being built, a AR10 being built & new Rossi 92 in 454 slicked & tricked. Broke as an old chair but I'll get it figured out someway. Oh forget a ton of WWs to buy.

Man looking at that I'm in deep do do.

gray wolf
02-10-2014, 05:04 PM
Way out of my league -- Way --

lancem
02-10-2014, 06:08 PM
I'm with Tygar

Hardcast416taylor
02-10-2014, 06:22 PM
That`s good panic style advice for people that are working as is their spouse and have no bills or mortgages to pay on. But, what about older non-working people that are on SS to live on? My brother advocated the same time need money thing be wrapped in freezer paper and tin foil and concealed in the meat freezer. Well he`s dead and his punk kid cleaned out all the hide away money old Dad had put away. I have a tough enough time getting from one month to the next and can`t squirrel away the dough you`re saying each of us should stash. So go ahead, if you can do it you must have a gravy job making big bucks more than we peons are.Robert

wlc
02-10-2014, 06:35 PM
I usually only put back money for larger toys. Like if I want a new rifle or something I'll save all my pocket change and squirrel a few dollars away as I can till I save enough to get what I want. As far as powder etc I can't really get it shipped up here without buying a metric ton without the special shipping and hazmat eating up any savings of buying it from the lower 48. So short story For powder, primers, loaded ammo and any hazmat I'm at the mercy of the LGS.

Reverend Al
02-10-2014, 06:57 PM
I'm lucky enough that at this point of my life (61) I am retired, we have no mortgage on our house, I have 4 fully paid for vehicles (2 collector cars, my driver truck and a camper van for summer holiday trips) a metric TON of reloading supplies that were "squirreled away" during my working years and 150 various guns to go along with it all. I'm not wealthy by many standards, but by my standards I am extremely wealthy. I have a wonderful wife that also shoots and hunts, my family and in-laws are all wonderful people and I have enough funds month to month that I can comfortably afford to buy a new (or used) gun that catches my interest.

btroj
02-10-2014, 07:12 PM
Nope. I can afford what I need when I need it.

I just keep things in check to keep the wife happy. THen again she has told me to buy what I need...

ShooterAZ
02-10-2014, 07:16 PM
If I see some that I need, I just buy it. No need to save for it....it's an impulse buy.

jonp
02-10-2014, 07:35 PM
Na, I just wing it. If I don't have it, I buy it anyhow. Just like now, have a custom CB rifle being built, a AR10 being built & new Rossi 92 in 454 slicked & tricked. Broke as an old chair but I'll get it figured out someway. Oh forget a ton of WWs to buy.

Man looking at that I'm in deep do do.

Im not worthy!

JSnover
02-10-2014, 08:27 PM
I bought large quantities years ago. Now I just replace what I burn. Always have a comfy supply on hand without having to smash the piggy bank.

Shiloh
02-10-2014, 08:30 PM

And that is a MUCH better use for yur money!! Good for you! A heck-of-a-monkey off your back.

Shiloh

smokeywolf
02-10-2014, 08:46 PM
Used to have what Run5 has. Now I have what Gray Wolf has.

smokeywolf

dverna
02-10-2014, 09:06 PM
When I was working I set up my "Shooting 401k plan". I bought way more than I used and stocked it away.

I have not purchased any items during the 'crazy times'. In fact, I sold some stuff at a good markup.
I look for deals and buy more when the opportunities arise. The only purchase in the last year was a ton of 92-6-2 at $1.81/lb delivered. Added to the alloy I already had and with the ability to recycle by doing most of my fun shooting on my own range, I have a lifetime supply.

The concept of putting away a set amount of cash every month is great idea for those who seem to spend whatever they have in their wallet. I had a good job but still packed a lunch. By saving that $10/lunch every day it nets about $2000 per year. Eating out is very expensive and even during the "recession" I saw restaurants filled to capacity - ***!! It is a matter of priorities.

I understand many people cannot afford to build up a stash. I have no answer to them. Reality sucks.

Don Verna

jonp
02-10-2014, 10:26 PM

You didnt quit smoking, Now its the right kind of smoke

dragon813gt
02-10-2014, 10:54 PM
I do not keep that amount of cash stashed at home. And even if I did I would never post it on the Internet. Keeping large sums of cash, which is required if you still have a mortgage and vehicle payments, that aren't covered by insurance is not a smart move.

I buy what I want when I see it. I'm sure this will change when the baby is born in May. Which is why I'm buying as much as I can now. I know diapers, food and a roof over a baby boy's head is more important then powder primers and guns. I have enough to last a long time into the son's shooting career.

facetious
02-11-2014, 03:50 AM
POP CANS! I started saving cans years a go. Crush them and toss them in to a box in the garage when it is full it is worth about 20.00 I told the wife that if I have to crush them I get the money for my shooting stuff. I started taking a plastic grocery bag or to with me when I take the dogs for there walks to pick up any that I find on my way.

In the last two or three years I have bought a lb of 2400,lb of rl15, lb of TAC, 1,000 primers, a Lee fc die for my .308, new grips for a Black Hawk, 90lb of lead from the place I take the cans and a tank of gas for the car and some other small thing that I'm forgetting.

I tend to spend as I get it but it is like getting stuff for free.

stephenj
02-11-2014, 03:51 AM
i dont make a lot of money nor do i have a lot of bills to pay .
but money can get tight .. i follow along with the spare change and extra dollar bill crowd
change goes in a jar along with an extra single or maybe a five or ten if i can spare it .
just loose change can add up if you have the fortitude to not spend it when things look bleak.

i also try to remember this is a hobby and sometimes other things are more important .

gmsharps
02-11-2014, 07:38 AM
I tend to spend as I get it but it is like getting stuff for free.[/QUOTE]

And it not even from the government. It's earned the ol fashioned way. You worked for it

gmsharps

jonp
02-11-2014, 10:21 AM
POP CANS! I started saving cans years a go. Crush them and toss them in to a box in the garage when it is full it is worth about 20.00 I told the wife that if I have to crush them I get the money for my shooting stuff. I started taking a plastic grocery bag or to with me when I take the dogs for there walks to pick up any that I find on my way.

In the last two or three years I have bought a lb of 2400,lb of rl15, lb of TAC, 1,000 primers, a Lee fc die for my .308, new grips for a Black Hawk, 90lb of lead from the place I take the cans and a tank of gas for the car and some other small thing that I'm forgetting.

I tend to spend as I get it but it is like getting stuff for free.
Jeez, all that from crushed cans in one year? Do you live next to an Alcoa can plant?

stephenj
02-11-2014, 10:30 AM
if you realy want to be able to save some extra cash .... stay out of the swapping and selling
now to try and follow my own advice

Baron von Trollwhack
02-11-2014, 10:45 AM
Comrade mao bho say "man who buys powder, quietly make projectile, use CASH for buy, keep mouth shut.....leave no trail.

BvT

jonp
02-11-2014, 12:09 PM
I do not keep that amount of cash stashed at home. And even if I did I would never post it on the Internet. Keeping large sums of cash, which is required if you still have a mortgage and vehicle payments, that aren't covered by insurance is not a smart move.

I buy what I want when I see it. I'm sure this will change when the baby is born in May. Which is why I'm buying as much as I can now. I know diapers, food and a roof over a baby boy's head is more important then powder primers and guns. I have enough to last a long time into the son's shooting career.
Why would keeping large sums of cash at home be the only option for paying for everything unless you pay cash which is never a bad thing in my view.

Your sure right on one thing, when your baby is born your cash supply is going to get squeezed! Congrats on the new baby. Chosen a name yet?

jonp
02-11-2014, 12:10 PM
Comrade mao bho say "man who buys powder, quietly make projectile, use CASH for buy, keep mouth shut.....leave no trail.

BvT

I'm pretty sure I heard David Carradine say that on Kung Fu.

mdi
02-11-2014, 12:43 PM
The debit card I carry (along with a Master Card) is my personal account, separate from the household accts. My S.S. goes into my acct. and the pension goes into the household acct....

If I run across something I need I'll use my own account. I use the same for online purchases of components (nuttin' available locally).

357maximum
02-11-2014, 01:58 PM
Y'all get to buy lunch and buy powder....man I am doing something really wrong.......I buy the powder/skip lunch and then make a bambi-burger when I get home from my travels/work.

Seriously though......I try to keep 2-4 bens in the back of my wallet...you just never know when you will be skipping lunch for several weeks, because you could jump when opportunity knocked. :lol:

dragon813gt
02-11-2014, 05:59 PM
Why would keeping large sums of cash at home be the only option for paying for everything unless you pay cash which is never a bad thing in my view.

Your sure right on one thing, when your baby is born your cash supply is going to get squeezed! Congrats on the new baby. Chosen a name yet?

You said emergency fund so I immediately thought of cash on hand at home. It's already happened where I live where power has gone out for a few days which means no access to money. But you could easily have an emergency savings account at the bank as well. I don't like keeping money in the bank or at home so I'm screwed. And yes, first name has been picked but we are having trouble picking a middle name. Still have a few months to get it sorted out.

thomashoward
02-11-2014, 06:57 PM
I have a separate account for that

CastingFool
02-11-2014, 09:05 PM
I liked that post about pop cans. When I was working, I used to pick up empty pop bottles and cans. In Michigan, we have a 10 cent deposit per can. Guys used to tease me about picking up cans, but I carried two-three hundred dollars on me all the time. Sometimes, I carried up to $500. That was my mad money, and I bought a whole lot of gun stuff with it. Wished I had had the wisdom to buy more. One time, a guy asked me why didn't I just work a couple of hours overtime. I said no way, gotta pay taxes on the OT. Popcans are free money!

Warner C
02-11-2014, 09:12 PM

Thanks for the idea I just quit myself at 8 bucks a pack. I'm gonna start buying lead.

Landshark9025
02-11-2014, 09:50 PM
This is exactly what we do. Cept she shoots my fun money too. Life ain't fair.

Yep. There is a fixed amount that is allocated weekly that goes into the fun account. (About enough for lunch twice) It is sort of like an "allowance" that kids get for doing chores.

Moulds, powder, primers, guns, and shooting related items are bought using this. It has worked for years. There is an exact duplicate amount that goes into my better half's possession. She isn't buying powder, must be wasting it. :)

jonp
02-11-2014, 10:35 PM
5 cents in Vt. I used to pick up cans all of the time esp in the spring when the snow melted. At that time it was my beer money and gas to go back and forth to work. Never understood why people wpould throw money out yhe window when most every store would take them

Love Life
02-11-2014, 10:36 PM
I keep reloading supplies in reserve to make money...

GabbyM
02-11-2014, 10:58 PM
We have this years crop expense paid for. Fertilizer and seed. No fuel or repair parts though. Hopefully in any monetary collapse the ag service company would deliver on what we've paid for. That gets the 2014 crop in. Even if the money takes to super inflation or some such thing. One of us could have a heart attack or car crash and tie money up in court. This way the crop money is a done deal already. In a monetary collapse all farmers relying on banks and not politically connected will loose there lands or rentals. Then we do have a plan but most of you just would not understand. Even if I tried to explain it. To simplify it. Just put on your tinfoil hat and go with it. Since if I did try and explain it that's what many would do anyways.

To anyone looking for a bug out plan:
If you belong to a church of any organization. Then live in an earthquake or hurricane zone. Where evacuation is a real possibility. That’s what about half the people. I'd think the church could make plans ahead of time to take refuge with there brethren in other locations. You only need enough guns and bullets to protect your young pretty daughters and your coins. That’s my take on it. I live rural so we plan to dig in not bug out. Not on a fault line either. But am right on the safe edge of the New Madrid Fault. Which is due to take down St Louis and Memphis. No one crawling out of that would need a gun to find a meal or shelter around here.

One of my in-law family members back in the early 20th century had to use a 32 Colt pocket pistol to fend off robbers down by Cave in Rock Illinois as they came up from Kentucky. They were moving up in mule drawn wagons. With chicken coops hanging from the sides. Boggey men tried jumping them in the night. Five shot pistol was all it took to drop them one at a time with head shot while the women went for the shotguns. By the time women retrieved shotguns it was all over. No one left to kill. That’s the normal conclusion to most highway robbers life span. They all think they are tough guys. But in reality are more like a squirrel sitting on a limb with a 12 year old approaching with his new 22 rifle. AKA target. Say that family lost the fight. How many men near by the next morning would of tracked them down to kill them. My point is. As soon as you don't have police protecting bad boys. Being a bad boy is a death sentence. Hopefully most of us here consider ourselves to be good guys.

GabbyM
02-11-2014, 11:00 PM
I keep reloading supplies in reserve to make money...

Six years ago that would of made sense. Thing is right now there is so much ammunition hoarded up in peoples closets. There aren't enough rats in New York city to use it all up on. More less rabbits. Still going strong now though.

Love Life
02-11-2014, 11:03 PM
The demand has proven otherwise.

gspgundog
02-11-2014, 11:12 PM
Everyday at the end of the day I throw all my coins into a container. When the container is full it holds about three hundred dollars I take it to the bank to exchange for cash. The cash then goes into a drawer to either fund a toy or stays there until I need/want something. If I am out and find something I need I just use the debit card and deposit the amount into the house account. Of course if I really want something I am not above changing a $5.00's in the machine at work to coins to help it along. You would be surprised how fast it adds up.

GabbyM
02-12-2014, 12:08 AM
The demand has proven otherwise.

Last sentence in my post "Still going strong now though. "

Did I tell you abut my crystal ball?

Some of the truest words ever spoken. "Don't put all your eggs in one basket."

I sometimes think the gold fever is silly. However if I had plenty of cash. Might be nice to have enough gold to cover, at todays prices, at least one year of farming. Then hope gold kept up with fertilizer, Weed chemicals, fuel and seed prices. That's about $12,000 a year here on our little patch.

Back in the last depression bankers and insurance companies stole most farm land. That was pretty much the end of America as it had once been. My grandparents on my fathers side held out but had to feed eight other families, brothers sisters and parents, so they didn't starve. FDR's vice president came up with the brainy idea of destroying food rather than feed it to city folk. I still don't see where anyone thinks they can make there way with a rifle in this nation. There just is no such thing as a zombie. Even if there was. Would they be good eating?

bangerjim
02-12-2014, 12:16 AM
It is called a CREDIT CARD.

Buy what I want when I want it or find it.

And NEVER pay interest on ANY card! That is the key to personal financial success. Interest payments kill people financially. If you can't afford to pay for it right then, do not buy it on a card!

banger

GabbyM
02-12-2014, 01:03 AM

And NEVER pay interest on ANY card! That is the key to personal financial success. Interest payments kill people financially. If you can't afford to pay for it right then, do not buy it on a card!

banger

You mean a debit card don't you?

granville_it
02-12-2014, 05:57 AM
Bless you my son.

Not all that difficult to buy powder down here.

We manufacture a lot of Hodgen's inventory.

65yrs tomorrow you young fella!.

Cheers Mark

I'm lucky enough that at this point of my life (61) I am retired, we have no mortgage on our house, I have 4 fully paid for vehicles (2 collector cars, my driver truck and a camper van for summer holiday trips) a metric TON of reloading supplies that were "squirreled away" during my working years and 150 various guns to go along with it all. I'm not wealthy by many standards, but by my standards I am extremely wealthy. I have a wonderful wife that also shoots and hunts, my family and in-laws are all wonderful people and I have enough funds month to month that I can comfortably afford to buy a new (or used) gun that catches my interest.

opos
02-12-2014, 08:45 AM
Years ago when I was just a kid my Dad said "pay yourself first"...he said "Take a 10% handling fee" for your troubles and tuck it away as "spent money". Since that time I have used the "rounding up and rounding down" method of keeping my checkbook...when I deposit a check I show the exact amount in the item section of my check log but I round the total down about 10% where I add it to the total in the account. Same thing when I write a check I show the exact amount (as an audit trail) in the item section but I round up about 10% where I carry the balance over to be subtracted. Every incoming or outgoing piece of paper has my "10% handling fee" built in....When I do my check book balancing each month I don't look at the total...I simply verify all the checks against the register and then draw down my "hold out" to see what is really in the account...it's "spent money" so not available unless its some thing really special.

On my 50th birthday some years back I wanted a trailer fishing boat. I don't finance anything....I went to my "hold out" and there...after 20 years or so of rounding up and rounding down I had enough "spent money" to just buy the boat for cash...what a treat and I never missed one bit of it as it had accumulated a tiny bit at a time. I don't know what's in there now but it's been adding up since I drew it down at age 50...I'm now 76 and think a nice new toy would be a nice treat...Kind of like "found money"...I keep enough ready cash for a couple of months emergency and I keep a little cushion in the Bank Safety deposit box just in case...hard to know exactly what to do but that's my little trick.

Digital Dan
02-12-2014, 08:58 AM
Anyone else keep money in reserve specifically to buy powder when it comes up?

No. With any luck at all I'll manage to shoot what I have before I check out.

dudel
02-12-2014, 09:44 AM
Always keep something in reserve. Not just for powder though.

dudel
02-12-2014, 09:48 AM

A credit card that you pay off month to month is effectively the same, except if you are smart about the credit card, you can also earn useful points or cash back.

dudel
02-12-2014, 09:54 AM

banger

I disagree in part. Even if you can afford to pay for it right there, put it on a card to be in a better position if you need to return it. Plus, depending on the card you get various points. I;ve accumulated several thousand in gift cards for doing nothing but buying on the card, and then paying it all off.

What I do agree with, is pay the card off fully each month (which sort of ties back to you if you can't pay for it all, don't buy it).

jonp
02-12-2014, 11:38 AM
Everyday at the end of the day I throw all my coins into a container. When the container is full it holds about three hundred dollars I take it to the bank to exchange for cash. The cash then goes into a drawer to either fund a toy or stays there until I need/want something. If I am out and find something I need I just use the debit card and deposit the amount into the house account. Of course if I really want something I am not above changing a $5.00's in the machine at work to coins to help it along. You would be surprised how fast it adds up.
We do that too. Just cleaned up the jar and counted it all out and found over $400. Changed it to folding money and put it into the safe for emergencies.

jonp
02-12-2014, 11:41 AM
A credit card that you pay off month to month is effectively the same, except if you are smart about the credit card, you can also earn useful points or cash back.

I have one card that gives us 3 cents off per gallon of gas wherever we use it so it is used only for gas and paid off every week. Never used the points on it and now have over 40,000.

GabbyM
02-12-2014, 11:53 AM
I have one card that gives us 3 cents off per gallon of gas wherever we use it so it is used only for gas and paid off every week. Never used the points on it and now have over 40,000.

You may want to check the contract. I had points expire off a card last year. Couple hundred dollars worth. You may be able to use the points to pay on the card balance.

dudel
02-12-2014, 12:49 PM
You may want to check the contract. I had points expire off a card last year. Couple hundred dollars worth. You may be able to use the points to pay on the card balance.

Or gift cards at Cabelas or Bass Pro. Bet you can find something there to pick up! At that point, it's like found money.

dragon813gt
02-12-2014, 01:44 PM
I pay for everything w/ a credit card. I was even using it for paying all bills including my mortgage because I was getting points for it. 1% back is better than 0% back like you get when using cash. I've had issues w/ not receiving gift cards in the mail and that's always a fight w/ the CC company. Why they don't deliver them w/ signature confirmation is beyond me. One of them was a $1k card and I had to fight for four months to get them to issue a new one.

dondiego
02-12-2014, 01:59 PM
I have a Cabela's credit card that pays points. I live 8 miles from Cabela's. Never pay interest!

jonp
02-12-2014, 02:21 PM
Credit Union card and the points don't expire just roll over

bangerjim
02-12-2014, 05:17 PM

NO........absolutely NOT! I do not have, nor have I ever had, a DEBIT card!

Why would I use one of those stupid things and be responsible for the funds the moment I buy something when I can use a CREDIT card and use the bank's money for up to 30 days for free! Key is, you have to KNOW you have the money in your checking/savings account to pay the credit card off IN FULL when the bill comes. Do NOT pay interest fees. That defeats the whole purpose!

It's called personal financial management.

Haven't paid any interest fees in over 37 years!

banger

bangerjim
02-12-2014, 05:27 PM
I disagree in part. Even if you can afford to pay for it right there, put it on a card to be in a better position if you need to return it. Plus, depending on the card you get various points. I;ve accumulated several thousand in gift cards for doing nothing but buying on the card, and then paying it all off.

What I do agree with, is pay the card off fully each month (which sort of ties back to you if you can't pay for it all, don't buy it).

I guess I miss what you don't agree with!

I have received THOUSANDS of dollars (NOT lousy gift cards that expire!) back from the cash back programs from my various CREDIT cards. But.............I NEVER buy anything on those cards that I know I cannot pay for at that moment, even though it is not due for almost 30 days. The cash back is the financial intuitions PAYING ME to use their cards!

I know..... a lot of people in the US are in dire financial situations right now, many stating they are "dead broke". But if you play your personal finances right, you come out ahead! Always!

"Never spend what you DON"T have!"

And I never carry much cash. Everybody everywhere now takes plastic.

banger

josper
02-12-2014, 07:37 PM
During winter months I have three Neighbors that I take care of their snow removing. I use the money from that to buy my shooting supplies with. It's been a good winter so far and Its paid for my sporting license, four lbs. powder, two k primers and a valentines gift for my wife. There is another big storm coming tomorrow, :)

waco
02-13-2014, 01:41 AM
I just wing it. just dropped $400 on two 8lb. kegs of powder.

Buy once, cry once......

facetious
02-13-2014, 05:56 AM
You would me surprised at how fast cans cane pile up. I walk the dogs all most every day, a few years a go i was joking with the wife about all the cans we would see when out. So I started to take a bag or two along and picking them up. There is some walking paths that I take that the kids use to walk to school, in the spring and summer I all most all ways come home with a few cans. On the path to the high school it is Kestone Light cans and the path to the jr. high it's Monster and vodka shooters.
The most I have got was 68.00 in three months , in the summer so some of the beer cans may have been mine. But i have to walk the dogs any way so it's not like it's a lot of work. The stuff I said I have got has been over about three years. I may get 120.00 or so a year so it's not like I'm getting rich doing it but in a way it is kind of fun to see what you can get for doing it.

bobthenailer
02-13-2014, 08:36 AM
Got a little over $800 .00 in my gun / related products stash at the moment and have no idea what to buy ! i guess i will have to be pataient and possibly buy the next good deal that comes along .Ive been lucky the past few years to get some great bargains.

jonp
02-13-2014, 09:30 AM
During winter months I have three Nabors that I take care of their snow removing. I use the money from that to buy my shooting supplies with. It's been a good winter so far and Its paid for my sporting license, four lbs. powder, two k primers and a valentines gift for my wife. There is another big storm coming tomorrow, :)

Jim Nabors relatives live next to you? Kidding

josper
02-13-2014, 02:55 PM
Jim Nabors relatives live next to you? Kidding spelling oops, I must have been tired.

varmint243
02-13-2014, 05:59 PM
This is a great thread

It proves that you can enjoy your hobby with fiscal responsibly and that there is more than one angle to doing that.
I'm a spend some, save some kinda guy, so I always seem to have some money available if I chose to part with it.

I have tried to explain to my 15yr old who thinks I am a cheapskate, if you are careful to spend money on things that you really want, and avoid blowing money on the things that don't amount to much, you can have more money for more things that are meaningful to you.

When I am busy and making money I don't usually have time, so I stock up on supplies.
When I am less busy and have more time I use the supplies I stocked up on.

quasi
02-13-2014, 11:29 PM
I max out every kind of credit available to me. All the Investment Banks got bailed out, the car company's got bailed out, I am next!

Love Life
02-13-2014, 11:40 PM
I buy everything I can with my Cabelas card. I've gotten so much awesome free stuff that it is borderline ridiculous.

brown bass hunter
02-13-2014, 11:47 PM
Got my own cash account for these "luxury" items. Usually try to put away a little cash into it from side jobs- until insurance, taxes and such eat into it. Better buy when it is available.

jonp
02-14-2014, 12:30 AM
Guess I never answered my own question. I have $20/week automatically transferred into an account.

southpaw
02-14-2014, 10:40 AM
Sort. If I see something that I really want/need I buy it. I then have on average 6-8hours to come up with a good explanation for the wife. Ok kidding on that last part. As long as the bills are paid and she gets her allowance she doesn't care. However I do believe you are right with having about 6 months living expences on hand, be they in the savings account stock or in a mason jar in the back yard.

Gotta love the cabelas card tho. Free loan (for me anyway) for a month and they pay me for it.

Jerry Jr.

GabbyM
02-14-2014, 01:20 PM
There are always bears in the stock market. So take it with a grain of salt. Yesterday on the money pages of the news. a few of the big financial annalist. Including Warren Buffets group. Are predicting a 50% fall in the stock market this year.
What effect that will have in flushing out hoarded guns and ammo is past my crystal balls view.

fredj338
02-14-2014, 02:08 PM
If I need it, I buy it. I can always make more money.
BTW, a 50% drop in the market is not going to happen, not with banks paying less than 1%. IF Buffet & others really believed that, they would be pulling out of the market now. Even if that were true, selling a couple $100 worth of powder or primers isn't going to make up for anyones losses, so I wouldn't count on things getting "better" in the reloading world until the political climate changes & even then, it will take along time to settle down.