PDA

View Full Version : This pretty young blond came by the shop and asked me to teach her how to reload.....

MBTcustom
02-09-2014, 11:09 PM
I must say she was a natural! A chip off the old block!
This is my daughters very first cartridge reload. I made sure she got started on the right foot. I was hard pressed between 45-70, 30-30, or 358Winchester (AKA the holy trinity).
It was destined to be the 45-70 (I hope you all approve?)
She loaded about ten of them total while I did nothing but watch and instruct. Once we were finished, we went inside and washed hands very thoroughly (as she must do whenever she comes out to the shop, which is rarely).
I'm just really proud of her because she watched me do a few of them and then followed my instructions to a T.
I'll be taking her to the range with me before too much longer I'm afraid. Gosh this kid is growing like a weed! She'll be turning 5 soon.

SgtDog0311
02-09-2014, 11:13 PM
Awesome... good time together!! And of course a guy has to approve of the 45-70 choice :-)

Postalpaul
02-09-2014, 11:14 PM
Beautiful little blonde !
Congratulations and don't blink you'll be walking her down the isle before you know it!

MTtimberline
02-09-2014, 11:20 PM
Sounds like you are raising her right. I have two brass sorters that think it's fun. They are more than willing to sort tumbled brass by caliber and headstamp. They have to wash thoroughly too. The oldest is curious about what I'm doing when "making bullets" but doesn't get to help with that or hang around long when casting. She is mostly interested in helping me "unload them" than reloading them.
Good Job and congrats goodsteel!

jmort
02-09-2014, 11:21 PM
Nothing better than that. Not yet 5, impressive.

oneokie
02-09-2014, 11:21 PM
You do have a cast reloadabe caliber she can start with????

A hornet or Bee?

DeanWinchester
02-09-2014, 11:23 PM
Save that round for her first date.

JeffinNZ
02-09-2014, 11:28 PM
Must be something about the age. Abby is 6 next month and is a demon on the MEC shotshell press.

cbrick
02-09-2014, 11:31 PM
That's the best age of all. Sooner than you can imagine you'll be pacing the floor waiting for her to get home from her first date but before that she will be beating you at the range. It will probably be her that teaches you how to get a clean sprue cut-off. :drinks:

Rick

BNE
02-09-2014, 11:32 PM
Beuatiful girl. I have two. It has been a while since they were that little.... One almost 17 and one 12 now.

In my family, you get your first gun when you turn 11. It is a rule.

Treasure those visits to your shop.

MBTcustom
02-09-2014, 11:40 PM
Well, I want to encourage her to ask persistently if there is knowledge she wants to know. My father did this for me growing up. Anything I wanted to do, if he thought I could possibly do it with supervision, then he would take the time to teach me the right way. In a way you could say that he spoiled us kids rotten in that regard. The answer was never no. He either jumped on it and taught us how, or told us it was for later when we got older, and it wasn't some lame excuse, it was obvious to us that we were not ready.
Of course the flip side to that was that once you proved that you were capable of a certain level of competence, you were expected to perform that well or better every time. It was glorious!
I was toting a black powder revolver tied low on my hip and loaded with the hammer on an empty chamber by the time I was 14 years old.
I don't have any idea how this is going to work with a girl, but I'm going to do my best.
Natalie is able to steer the lawnmower while riding on my knee and keep it going where it needs to go. I don't have to help at all except on the sharp turns where she doesn't have the strength to turn the wheel. She's quick and smart, and I try to contently challenge her to do better. I have no idea what she's going to do when she get's older, but whatever it is, I hope she does it smart.

MBTcustom
02-09-2014, 11:43 PM
Lovely family you've got there BNE. Matching watches too. LOL!

cbrick, I don't doubt it.

I just hope she doesn't do like a Malcolm and get a wandering eye for other localities. My whole family has been nomads. Dad was raised all over the east coast, wound up in Ohio, moved to Arizona where he met mom, got married and had my two elder sisters, then he moved the whole fam damily to Arkansas where I was born fallowed by two more sisters and two more brothers.
Right now, all but three of us have lit a shuck for other places scattered all the way from Iowa to Texas. We're all engineers, doctors, nurses, lawyers......oh yeah, and one gunsmith who seems to have gone native LOL!
Why do they do that!?!? What's wrong with just stickin close to your family roots?
Oh well. I guess it's in the genes. You'll never meet a Malcolm that isn't opinionated either (Im sure you've noticed) LOL!

Love Life
02-09-2014, 11:45 PM
Just precious, Tim!! They do grow like weeds, and having a little blonde angel is fun!!

Just think, in 14 you years you have a partner in the rifle making business!!

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-09-2014, 11:52 PM
Precious...most certainly Precious

Monttexan
02-10-2014, 12:05 AM
The last photo is awesome!

You've definitely got yer hands full!

CastingFool
02-10-2014, 12:11 AM
Reminds me when my oldest daughter was about 4. She was watching me reload some shotshells so I asked if she wanted to reload a few. Showed her how, and she was good to go. It didn't take long for me to realize she really knew what she was doing. taught my granddaughters, too, but I think they were doing it to please the old grey haired playmate.

btroj
02-10-2014, 12:19 AM
Mine is awesome at picking up range scrap. She can almost get as much as me. Sadly she can shoot as much as me too! This November she will be old enough to buy her first handgun. Yikes.

mpbarry1
02-10-2014, 12:23 AM
Quality time with a princess!

Bzcraig
02-10-2014, 12:28 AM
They indeed grow fast, but you will enjoy that little one a lot until she strikes out on her own. Best way to make sure she stays close is get real close to the one she marries. Then threaten him with death if he takes her away, fear is a great motivator.

btroj
02-10-2014, 12:31 AM
They indeed grow fast, but you will enjoy that little one a lot until she strikes out on her own. Best way to make sure she stays close is get real close to the one she marries. Then threaten him with death if he takes her away, fear is a great motivator.

I have lots of taxidermy. My wife likes to mention that the taxidermist we use doesn't ask questions.....

Yep, got to get a guys attention.

Alstep
02-10-2014, 01:11 AM
Mr. Goodsteel, you are indeed blessed. I'm hoping my little grand daughter takes up the shooting sports. I'd love to be coaching her at Perry when she turns 12. That'll be 10 years down the road. Hope I make it that long.

1989toddm
02-10-2014, 01:21 AM
That is very impressive and I have to say as well that you are blessed! My daughter is only 3 months old but I am looking forward to teaching her to reload and shoot safely.

Echo
02-10-2014, 02:33 AM
Tim, you are a fortunate man. And the Princess is fortunate, too, to have you...

Ramar
02-10-2014, 07:00 AM
Good for you! It only gets better and better!!
Ramar

Taylor
02-10-2014, 08:53 AM
96332My granddaughter loves to help...96331

Dryball
02-10-2014, 09:27 AM
Great job Goodsteel! You got me thinking...I believe she needs her own Rockchucker painted crinkle-pink.

osteodoc08
02-10-2014, 09:36 AM
She looks so proud! Good for you and excellent first choice of cartridge. Easy to handle for the youngsters.

**oneshot**
02-10-2014, 09:52 AM
Stop now!!!!!!!!!!! Teaching them like that will only burn up your lead supply. LOL.

She looks happy as can be to be helping you, You done good sir!

shdwlkr
02-10-2014, 11:07 AM
Tim
I am on the far side of my 60's and have a 7 year old daughter and 8 year old son that I hope to be able to take out turkey hunting later this spring. I don't get the time I wish I could with my kids, think divorce.
Both of my youngest and really all the kids that passed through my house have been around firearms. Only one besides the little ones have picked up the firearm bug.
I started my kids out last year with M4 22lr firearms, why because they can grow into them, they are the current trend in firearms and they asked for them.
Me I am going backwards now as it is fun to have to reload to even shoot a new firearm.
My first daughter who is in her 40's now married a guy who doesn't like firearms, but when she was growing up she had the chance to do almost everything a guy would do as she grew up for a time in the country and was dad's constant companion.

I really hope when your daughter is grown she will have the chance if she wants to follow in dad's foot steps for employment.

I really don't think it is too early to teach and talk about firearms with kids. My current two and all the others have been able to handle, shoot and clean any firearm that dad had if they wanted too. My youngest two started last year when they wanted their own M4's. Yes they are locked up and secure when not in use and the kids like the idea even.

My son wants to try one of dad's center fire rifles, maybe this summer when I have them for weeks, just not sure which one to use, so many choices so little time.

Kids just seem to grow up too fast and then move away. Yes most of my kids are scattered over 2 countries now. None seem to stick close to dad or mom in many cases. I think part of is that with the internet it is so easy to see what other places are like and you know the old saying the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

WILCO
02-10-2014, 11:22 AM
Beautiful little blonde !
Congratulations and don't blink you'll be walking her down the isle before you know it!

Push education and the importance of great grades! Encourage her to a foreign language and instrument like violin or piano. Don't waste time on sports. Academics will open many doors to college scholarships. Build a personal library of great books featuring American history, math, science, art and classic literature. Play all types of conservative music and purchase such for the library. Teach her to lead, the importance of honesty. Show her the world of business, finance and law. Teach her to embrace capitalism and investing. Show her how to save money & spend wisely. Teach her that there's more to life than trailer park drama and how to avoid it. Show her that education is freedom, ignorance is death.

Above all Tim, lead her to God. Make her believe in the truth that you love her and she is to come to you in all matters, great and small for guidance. Explain to her that she's your monument in the world. She will bear testament that you were here, and produced a member of society in good standing. Life is short and we only get one chance at greatness. I know I rambled on, but our children should be expected to do more, go farther and be greater than us.

w5pv
02-10-2014, 11:30 AM
Tim you are blessed,she will be a heart breaker in later life with the boys.God Bless you and her.By the way she more pleasing to the eye than the Master gun builder.

Love Life
02-10-2014, 11:56 AM
If Tim's daughter is competing at rifle matches then she is going to have an unfair advantage. I call shenanigans!

Sgtonory
02-10-2014, 12:06 PM
So cool. I had my son help at 6month old. And by help i mean i held his hand and moved the press while the wife took pic's.

Teddy (punchie)
02-10-2014, 12:10 PM
Too cute Goodsteel. , I have two that we are going to take out to range soon.

Darn thing grow like bad weeds. Last year I could pick them both up, and run. Now lucky to get them in my arms. Everyone use to watch me carring them like footballs. Darn kids are too big now!! lol

My are 7 year old twins girls, blonde and red head.

Dean Winchester I hear you about saving that shell LOL? That's a new one I have to place a side, along with the gun cleaning and or asking them if they know what these tools are for (ones for steering cattle). Daddy little joke well a joke in someways.

Enjoy !!

Jim Flinchbaugh
02-10-2014, 12:23 PM
good show Tim, start em young.
So, when do we see the video of her shooting those 45-70's she loaded? :mrgreen:

jcwit
02-10-2014, 01:01 PM
To all of you here who have youngsters learning and wishing to help, enjoy, enjoy enjoy for the years that you can. They all grow up so fast my 2 daughters are both in their 40, grandkids are in the 20's to teens. I now sit and type away on my laptop and look down at my gut and wonder how all those wonderful years went by so fast. But it is what it is, and I look forward to every day I can enjoy with family no matter their age.

Taylor
02-10-2014, 01:49 PM
To all of you here who have youngsters learning and wishing to help, enjoy, enjoy enjoy for the years that you can. They all grow up so fast my 2 daughters are both in their 40, grandkids are in the 20's to teens. I now sit and type away on my laptop and look down at my gut and wonder how all those wonderful years went by so fast. But it is what it is, and I look forward to every day I can enjoy with family no matter their age.

Amen to that brother,it do go fast.

MBTcustom
02-10-2014, 01:53 PM
If Tim's daughter is competing at rifle matches then she is going to have an unfair advantage. I call shenanigans!

Dont worry Dick. I promise ill only let her compete with whatever I have laying around the gunsafe. I promise there is nothing I would do to her guns other than to simply "insure proper function". 8-)
LOL!

MBTcustom
02-15-2014, 12:01 PM
Ok, here's her second loading session just a few hours ago. She did so good before, I figured that loading jacketed bullets in LC 07 7.62 would be a walk in the park, and it was!
She was just so careful to follow my instructions. I am one proud poppa!
This was the best right here! When she finished loading the first one she did the quintessential motion of holding the cartridge up the the light and admiring her handiwork. I swear I didn't tell her to do that! She just took it out of the press and did it! She's a natural! A chip off the old block!

Wag
02-15-2014, 12:21 PM
She is too precious for words!

Good job there!

--Wag--

Jammersix
02-15-2014, 08:57 PM
Five beautiful young ladies.

The next step is to teach them to sort brass.

perotter
02-15-2014, 09:14 PM
Looks like she did great reloading. Best to start them young IMO. Little ones seem to view new learning as 'this is how it's done'. When they get to be teens learning how to do something is viewed a bit as 'this is guideline'.

Bad Water Bill
02-16-2014, 06:26 AM
You will never know how fortunate you are with those little ones till you are my age and they have all flown away.

Cherish and enjoy each and every second as they will be GONE way to soon.

6bg6ga
02-16-2014, 07:10 AM
That is precious.

Just keep an eye on lead exposure.

Pinsnscrews
02-17-2014, 07:18 PM
Save that round for her first date.

"Son, my daughter loaded this round. Yes, this one I am loading into this rifle. It has 9 siblings, and all 10 of them go a lot faster than you can run. Do you understand me son?"

Humor aside, that is awesome.