PDA

View Full Version : More proof, Dacron works!

338RemUltraMag
02-09-2014, 05:30 PM
Larry is really onto something here! I am shooting a win 94 with the RCBS 30-180-FN shooting 22 gr of H-4198 the first load was as such and the second with 3/4 gr of dacron. This was shot at 50 yds with a 66a reciever sight.

http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj609/joshaaronelli/20140209_160229.jpg (http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/joshaaronelli/media/20140209_160229.jpg.html)
http://i1270.photobucket.com/albums/jj609/joshaaronelli/20140209_160238.jpg (http://s1270.photobucket.com/user/joshaaronelli/media/20140209_160238.jpg.html)

Look at the crazy difference! It really is a great idea that will put meat on the table all day every day.

338RemUltraMag
02-09-2014, 05:32 PM
Fudge, ignore those pics that say 4831..... I was nutz at the range and then forgot it is

H -4198

Ben
Is that my box you're shooting at ?
I hope you took the cast bullets out 1st ?

Ben

338RemUltraMag
Is that my box you're shooting at ?
I hope you took the cast bullets out 1st ?

Ben

your thread is next! Wait till you see it!

phaessler
02-09-2014, 05:35 PM
This is interesting . Always read about Dacron , just not sure which one to use.

Pete

338RemUltraMag
02-09-2014, 05:44 PM
This is interesting . Always read about Dacron , just not sure which one to use.

Pete

I dont care how it works, but it does work great, all of my loads I try it in shrink. That is a fact.

phaessler
02-09-2014, 06:12 PM
Typically wallyworld quilting material?

madsenshooter
02-09-2014, 06:15 PM
Psst, don't tell Joe!

338RemUltraMag
02-09-2014, 06:27 PM
Typically wallyworld quilting material?

Yes I got mine from wally world, it isnt "dacron" brand but hey it works

AlaskanGuy
02-09-2014, 06:32 PM
I gotta tell you, larry got me doing it too... And i thought he was nutz.... Dryer lint, dacron.... I asked "what the heck is dacron", now there is a big bag of it permanently stationed next to the reloading bench. Another example of experience talking.... Experience.... It is awesome...

AG

madsenshooter
02-09-2014, 06:51 PM
I'll have to give in and try this, I already have a load for my K31 using SPP210, which is about the same burn rate as 4198, that'll shoot 1" @100yds all day. If it'll tighten that group up as much as it did yours, I ought to come close to the one hole 10 shot group.

35 shooter
02-09-2014, 10:39 PM
Using dacron fillers when appropriate according to Larry Gibson's instructions cut my groups in half or better. Of course i keep running into the rpm thingy he predicts too. Plus he predicted about what speed i would begin to run into trouble maintaing accuracy with aluminum checks too....so far he was right on that too. The guy needs to write his own book on cast boolits. I know i'd buy it!:grin:

308w
02-09-2014, 11:36 PM
35 shooter, what velocity did you run into problems with the aluminum checks? Not to hijack the thread but I have been thinking about getting some of the various check makers you see on this forum and haven't heard of a velocity limit before. thanks 308w

338RemUltraMag
02-09-2014, 11:49 PM
I have not found accuracy issues with my aluminum checks, but I normally only run to 2300 fps in 30 cals or larger.

35 shooter
02-10-2014, 12:07 AM
35 shooter, what velocity did you run into problems with the aluminum checks? Not to hijack the thread but I have been thinking about getting some of the various check makers you see on this forum and haven't heard of a velocity limit before. thanks 308w

308 i don't think there is necissarily a speed limit per se as much as the hardness of the material used for the check. My roll of aluminum .014 ameri-max is pretty soft and so far i haven't got the kind of accurracy i want past 2200 fps. in 35 whelen. I can push to 2400 easily with hornady checks. In fairness tho, i haven't done any load development with al. checks, and was just shooting the same loads i developed for commercial checks. Seems some have gotten better speeds and others haven't.
I just finished a thread on the gas check forum where i tested al. and lith checks today.Larry just said i may or may not run into trouble past 2200 fps. and just so happened so far i have. It's not a cut and dried thing i don't think. May just need a faster or slower powder to get there.

BTW i used the little free-chex tool you use with a hammer and it has worked great and would like to try a Pat Marlin tool too. The checks i've made so far have shot surprisingly well and i probably won't be buying anymore commercial..... By that i mean hornady's or lyman's.

It looks like 338 makes good checks you could try, judging from how well he shoots i wouldn't hesitate to give his a try.

popper
02-10-2014, 12:15 AM
Wonder how annealing the checks effects accuracy? Yes filler works, I just use chewed up puppy toys, don't weigh, just tear off some.

Jim Flinchbaugh
02-10-2014, 12:51 PM
I've got my first loads with dacron sitting on the bench waiting for a range trip.
one in 7mm-08 and one in 308. Got 20 identical loads for each, 10 with & ten w/o dacron.
Waiting on the weather :(

338RemUltraMag
02-10-2014, 01:03 PM
I've got my first loads with dacron sitting on the bench waiting for a range trip.
one in 7mm-08 and one in 308. Got 20 identical loads for each, 10 with & ten w/o dacron.
Waiting on the weather :(

I have to admit, when I first sat down behind the first dacron load I was slightly nervous

runfiverun
02-10-2014, 04:13 PM
quick touch on the basics of using Dacron.
make absolutely sure it touches the powder and is compressed slightly by the base of the boolit.
the Dacron has a sealing quality to it and it helps protect the base of the boolit, as well as reducing the capacity of the case.

work up the loads using the Dacron or use it as a "next-step" when ladder testing.
but don't just add it into a border line load expecting miracles, and definitely do not assume the pressures will remain the same as adding a next step of powder.

35 shooter
02-17-2014, 12:29 AM
Wonder how annealing the checks effects accuracy? Yes filler works, I just use chewed up puppy toys, don't weigh, just tear off some.

popper thanks for throwing that out there. I annealed some at 400* degrees for an hour, let em air cool and sized em on. Must have taken some spring out of em cause their on almost as tight as hornadys now. At 1800 fps with a clean bbl. i got a 1.120" but the 2nd third, fourth, 5th shots were in .449" @ 100 yards. Don't know how fast 54 and 54.5 gr of imr 4350 is going with that same 200 gr. boolit but it shot both those loads into almost identical groups as the 1800 fps load. 1 clean bbl. flyer then a 4 shot jam each time with all those loads....Seriously popper thanks for that subtle hint. Man i'm jazzed up over this![smilie=2:

PAT303
02-17-2014, 01:00 AM
That group mirrors my Lee Enfield groups,I also use WGF with the same result. Pat

popper
02-18-2014, 12:26 AM
35 shooter I assume Al. Checks? I think the hornadys needs a higher annealing temp. The idea came from the GC thread, not me.

35 shooter
02-18-2014, 02:19 AM
35 shooter I assume Al. Checks? I think the hornadys needs a higher annealing temp. The idea came from the GC thread, not me.

Yes, they were aluminum and that was the first time i've gotten em to shoot well much past 1800 fps. I may not shoot as tight a group next time but it's sure looking stable so far. I just keep picking up on all these tips you guys post and it all keeps coming together.:grin:

Shiloh
02-18-2014, 07:14 PM
I never would have imagined a group could be tightened up like that?? The picture says it all!!

Shiloh

swheeler
02-18-2014, 07:51 PM
Psst, don't tell Joe!

I sure won't;)

pls1911
02-25-2014, 09:27 PM
GEEEZZZ just go to wally world and buy a cheap $4 dacron filled pillow... read the label silly!! IT SAYS DACRON FILL.
You have a veritable lifetime of dacron pinches for loading, PLUS a storage bag!!
WHOO HOO!!!
AFTER AWHILE YOU KNOW WHAT PINCH WORKS...30-30 TO 45-70.
And if you shoot cast bullets the dacron substantially reduces or eliminates leading..though I've never had that problem...

JWFilips
02-26-2014, 08:40 AM
quick touch on the basics of using Dacron.
make absolutely sure it touches the powder and is compressed slightly by the base of the boolit.
the Dacron has a sealing quality to it and it helps protect the base of the boolit, as well as reducing the capacity of the case.

work up the loads using the Dacron or use it as a "next-step" when ladder testing.
but don't just add it into a border line load expecting miracles, and definitely do not assume the pressures will remain the same as adding a next step of powder.

When folk say hack off a hunk & put it into the case on top of the powder They have to be weighing this hunk, correct? Otherwise the case capacity would be inconsistant, I would think. How big of a hunk, for let's say a 8x57 load? Does anyone have the link to Larry's posting on Dacron fillers?
Thanks

44MAG#1
02-26-2014, 08:45 AM
Is it Dacron or Polyester fill? If it is "Dacron" Where did you get it? I am curious.

Larry Gibson
02-26-2014, 09:52 AM
When folk say hack off a hunk & put it into the case on top of the powder They have to be weighing this hunk, correct? Otherwise the case capacity would be inconsistant, I would think. How big of a hunk, for let's say a 8x57 load? Does anyone have the link to Larry's posting on Dacron fillers?
Thanks

Post #4 in; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?109280-The-proper-use-of-fillers

The filler is used by volume actually and not by weight. Problem is that is hard to visualize in print. Thus I usually say 1/2 - 3/4 gr for a .308 to '06 size case. In the filler sticky I explain how I do cut various samples of different weight and keep them as a "visual whn i cut chunks for what is needed to fill the air space. The size of the filler does not have to be exact in weight. The size has to be just enough to fill the air space. A little more doesn't hurt or affect anything. Too little can. Key is to use just enough. It's not as difficult as it sounds. It's actually very easy to use.

Larry Gibson

Larry Gibson
02-26-2014, 09:56 AM
Is it Dacron or Polyester fill? If it is "Dacron" Where did you get it? I am curious.

Dacron is a trade name for polyester, Dupont's if I recall correctly.

Get in fabric stores or in fabric departments in department stores like WalMart. A $3-5 bag of "batting" will do a lot of cartridges. Read the above posted sticky on how I cut the batting into strips and then chunks.

Larry Gibson

frkelly74
02-26-2014, 10:45 AM
When I was first starting to use cast in 30-06 to get a functioning load for my Garand I was using Accurate 2520 because I liked the way it flowed from my powder measure and I thought that It would be a good burn rate for getting full function. I did get good functioning easily but experienced severe vertical stringing. On Larrys advice I reduced the load slightly and added a filler and the vertical stringing went away. People at the range do wonder what all that cloud of smoke and debris issuing from the muzzle is all about though. One guy wondered if I was using black powder. Sometimes I explain, sometimes I let them wonder. Filler use will increase pressure per given powder charge so you have to reduce and work back up to remain safe. Pressure is not your enemy if you use your head and control it. I look at it as a fuel saving measure because it takes less powder to achieve the same results, and it increases the uniformity of the burn.

Walter Laich
02-26-2014, 01:42 PM
something I have used with great success if the foam backer rods found at Home Depot. These are round lengths of some kind of foam.
I cut on 1/8" disks of foam and put them over the powder charge. They keep the powder from going everywhere in the case.
Have used it in smokeless .45-70 as well as black powder .45 Colt rounds.
Every once in a while if your watching from the side you can see one leave the barrel. Never have found any on the ground as I believe they burn up or melt in the blast.

wquiles
09-19-2014, 11:37 AM
something I have used with great success if the foam backer rods found at Home Depot. These are round lengths of some kind of foam.
I cut on 1/8" disks of foam and put them over the powder charge. They keep the powder from going everywhere in the case.
Have used it in smokeless .45-70 as well as black powder .45 Colt rounds.
Every once in a while if your watching from the side you can see one leave the barrel. Never have found any on the ground as I believe they burn up or melt in the blast.

Foam rods such as this one?
http://m3coupe.com/Firearms/loads/45-70/filler/20140919_102307.jpg

I bought a bag this morning, and it is a "perfect" light press fit to a 45-70 fully fired case:
http://m3coupe.com/Firearms/loads/45-70/filler/20140919_102411.jpg

I have some light loads I want to build, and this stuff seems ideal for this case.

Will

303Guy
09-21-2014, 12:17 AM
The guy needs to write his own book on cast boolits. I know I'd buy it!:grin:I'll second that!:D larry, you have done a lot of work and have gained a lot of experience and knowledge and you have offered that here on Cast Boolits quite freely. Writing a book would seem to be quite appropriate. Half of it is already written in your posts if you filter through all of them. I think our members here would be honoured should you write such a book. :drinks:

About Dacron versus polyester, Dacron is polyester but not necessarily the other way around. Polyester can be quite course and that you don't want. That's why I specify Dacron but any brand name will do is it has fine fibres.

About Dacron making 'smoke' or fluff at the muzzle, some loads melts it into a round ball which one wouldn't be able to find on a range but I find it in my firing tube. I'm wondering whether it works as well if it does melt?

I've used Dacron with a little more density specifically to protect the boolit base and found it to work well with quite low pressure.

Dacron seems to have three benefits;
1/ Consistent burn
2/ Boolit base buffering
3/ Preventing powder spills

What's not to like?

JeffG
09-21-2014, 08:48 AM
Post #4 in; http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?109280-The-proper-use-of-fillers

The filler is used by volume actually and not by weight. Problem is that is hard to visualize in print. Thus I usually say 1/2 - 3/4 gr for a .308 to '06 size case. In the filler sticky I explain how I do cut various samples of different weight and keep them as a "visual whn i cut chunks for what is needed to fill the air space. The size of the filler does not have to be exact in weight. The size has to be just enough to fill the air space. A little more doesn't hurt or affect anything. Too little can. Key is to use just enough. It's not as difficult as it sounds. It's actually very easy to use.

Larry Gibson

My wife is a quilter so I don't even need to go to the store, just ask her for a high loft piece of polyester batting. I loaded up my first in 8x57 and 7.64x54R this past week. I actually weighed mine, ending up with .7 gr in the 8x57 and about .6 gr in the 7.62x54R. With a little time I'll get the feel for volume and do that. I did 20 of each and they are ready to shoot, just waiting for a shooting day and looking forward to it. Thanks a bunch!

GhostHawk
09-21-2014, 09:04 AM
Jeffg like you I have been weighing mine just so I can get an idea of how big a .75gr chunk is.

It does seem to be making a difference so I'll continue with this for a while.

daniel lawecki
09-21-2014, 09:14 AM
Old timers at the club used cardboard wad and cream of wheat in there 30/06 loads for years.

williamwaco
09-21-2014, 09:24 AM
One more piece of advice:

Do not shoot 'em into the wind.

:bigsmyl2:

JeffG
09-21-2014, 08:30 PM
One more piece of advice:

Do not shoot 'em into the wind.

:bigsmyl2:

Hahaha, that reminds me of seeing the leaves catch fire on the ground out in front of the muzzle loader one fall after a patch fell on the ground smoldering. I think it happened more than once. :shock:

JeffG
09-21-2014, 08:32 PM
Jeffg like you I have been weighing mine just so I can get an idea of how big a .75gr chunk is.

It does seem to be making a difference so I'll continue with this for a while.

Eventually I'll get a warm fuzzy and just go with it. I can see myself measuring already to cut all of them the same size though, just the way I am for better or worse.

gpidaho
09-22-2014, 12:58 PM
Just about to get up the nerve to give fillers a try will read up some on Larrys method. For annealing checks I use a piece of black pipe with a cap on the bottom and an elbow to more pipe and a tee for weight that rests on the top of my Lyman Mag 20 for weight. just put some checks in the pipe and let it soak in the melt while you cast. the 700 degree lead does a real nice job of annealing the checks making them easier to get on and very tight. GP

Boolseye
09-23-2014, 08:11 PM
I worked up the nerve to try Dacron recently and have been happy with the results.
in 7.62X54R, a lot of loads with fast rifle powder are 80% case capacity or less.
The filler seems to tighten the groups and give me slightly higher velocities (more complete burn?).

waco
09-24-2014, 12:28 AM
As per Larry Gibson's advice, I tried Dacron for the first time some months ago in the .30-30 and .308. 2400 and SR4759 were the powders used. The filler almost cut my groups in half!
Not just a fluke either. Consistant from day to day. .7gr of Dacron to be exact.

1johnlb
09-24-2014, 12:37 AM
Just about to get up the nerve to give fillers a try will read up some on Larrys method. For annealing checks I use a piece of black pipe with a cap on the bottom and an elbow to more pipe and a tee for weight that rests on the top of my Lyman Mag 20 for weight. just put some checks in the pipe and let it soak in the melt while you cast. the 700 degree lead does a real nice job of annealing the checks making themthem easier to get on and very tight. GP

The hard gc's increase your leads capability to grip the rifling for higheri velocity.

RED333
09-24-2014, 07:17 AM
Well my wife does not like fake fiber, so we have a lot of cotton batting, any one used it?

44man
09-24-2014, 08:39 AM
I use what is called garnetted fiberfill. It doesn't have those thick strands. Joanne Fabrics has it.

Larry Gibson
09-24-2014, 11:30 AM
The hard gc's increase your leads capability to grip the rifling for higheri velocity.

Actually the increase in velocity is because the dacron filler increases burning efficiency and decreases case capacity.

Larry Gibson

Pilgrim
09-24-2014, 03:23 PM
Well my wife does not like fake fiber, so we have a lot of cotton batting, any one used it?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Your wife should be tolerant of fake fibers in your shop. If not, look for some old time life preservers. The type that loops around your neck and has a strap that goes around your back. In side of the orange outer covering will be plastic encased kapok. Before dacron was "discovered" and promoted on this site, the old timers used kapok as a filler to hold the powder in place. I've got a bunch sitting under my loading bench waiting for me to give it a side by side comparison with dacron. It is considerably more dense than dacron, so care in trying the stuff is in order. On the other hand, it will "expand" like dacron, but not as much as dacron. It should work just fine. More on kapok later when I get around to trying it. Pilgrim

Larry Gibson
09-24-2014, 04:09 PM
I used cotton for a while and all went well until the dry summer months when the grass dried. After stomping out 2 fires in front of the bench (yes cotton does burn) and ruining a good pair of sneakers I quit using cotton. I've not had a single problem with Dacron/polyester. It's not that embarrassing to being seen in the fabric department at Wally World or even in JoAnnes and buy Dacron batting. Even had a couple sales gals ask for my phone number so their husbands, who also cast bullets, could call me to find out how I used it.

Larry Gibson

1johnlb
09-24-2014, 07:30 PM
Actually the increase in velocity is because the dacron filler increases burning efficiency and decreases case capacity.

Larry Gibson

Softer [annealed] gc's has the same effect as softer lead. Maybe my statement wasn't clear. In my exsperience, if you use a softer gc [example.al ] you decrease you projectile's ability to grip the rifling in turn decreasing the velocity that your able to push the projectile to. When you put a gas check on a projectile and that projectile is pushed down the barrel it becomes part of that projectile from rearward pressure and being incased by the barrel, thus increasing the projectiles ability to grip the rifling. Although my exsperience isn't as much as others here, that has been my exsperience.

Was not speaking of were increase of velocity came from, just the projectile's ability at higher velocity.

I agree with your statement of the dacrons effect. It has been very apparent in my own testing and is why I have jugs of cut up dacron on my shelf ready to use. Thanks to you Larry.

303Guy
09-25-2014, 01:59 AM
Well my wife does not like fake fiber, so we have a lot of cotton batting, any one used it?I have. As Larry says, it can burn and when it does it is pretty good at setting the countryside on fire. I captured the burning cotton in my 'test tube'. it smoulders quietly until it bursts into flames.

frnkeore
09-25-2014, 02:29 AM
Proof that no filler is needed if you use one of the right powders for the application.

13.5 gr AA#9, 33 cal 357 max case, with the bullet in front of the case. Less than 50% case capacity.

All shot at 200 yards, in sactioned ASSRA matches and publicly posted.

Frank

303Guy
09-25-2014, 04:12 AM
I would have thought fillers would only be of benefit in larger rifle cases? Those are pretty impressive groups!

1johnlb
09-25-2014, 04:47 AM
A lot of group variation,but still great shooting Frank. Some dacron very well may have shrunk the last 2 groups. Dacron may not be needed, but it definitely can make a good combination better.

frnkeore
09-25-2014, 12:51 PM
A lot of group variation,but still great shooting Frank. Some dacron very well may have shrunk the last 2 groups. Dacron may not be needed, but it definitely can make a good combination better.

Sorry about the loosey shooting (the largest 10 shot group is less than .69 MOA) but, I know of no shooting records, ever made with Dacron or any other filler. Like I've posted before, fillers are a crouch for a load that isn't the best and like Lyman says, they can't recommend there use because of safety reasons.

Frank

dondiego
09-25-2014, 12:56 PM
Oh, I wish that I could shoot that lousy! ..................at even 100 yards, much less 200 with a handgun?

Don

geargnasher
09-25-2014, 01:02 PM

Umm, no. Not unless you solder them on the shank.

Gear

frnkeore
09-25-2014, 01:32 PM
Oh, I wish that I could shoot that lousy! ..................at even 100 yards, much less 200 with a handgun?

Don

Not a hand gun but, hand gun velocitys of 1470 fps.

Frank

Larry Gibson
09-25-2014, 02:30 PM
Well, we see Frank has made his usual appearance on the topic. Nice to know he does agree with us that "no filler is needed if you use one of the right powders for the application". However if the "application" is not suitable to that powder w/o the use of the proper filler and using the proper filler makes it "suitable" then so much the better. Frank really needs to study the subject and get a little more experience with the use of a proper filler with a proper powder under a proper bullet weight. His ill begotten foray into such have sure turned him against fillers of any kind. That's okay as that's his choice based on his own poor experience.

There are numerous things Lyman recommends against in their latest manual that many of us do anyway, same as with most other manuals. Ever wonder how in Lyman's current #49 manual they simply make no mention if the use of a filler or wad. In Lyman's #4 CBH Mike V says, in his article, both he and Lyman do not recommend fillers........strange Lyman does not mention that in "there" (their?) "Introduction To Data" section .......notice Lyman also doesn't recommend the use of '06 cases for forming into 6.5 swede cases. Many of us have done it for years w/o any problems and most of us will continue to. Most all manufacturers (US ones anyway) of 6.5 cases/ammunition use '06 based case dimensions.............notice how Frank uses a powder not listed in Lyman's manual? Some assume that is tantamount to not recommending it........but Frank has his own opinions and that is ok...........

For those of us (appears there are many from this thread alone) who understand when to use a filler, what to use for a filler and when not to use a filler, which apparently Frank doesn't, that we all shall continue suing said fillers, especially Dacron fillers, for successful and more accurate cast bullet shooting........accuracy records not with standing.........nor as a "crouch"....(crutch?)

Larry Gibson

RED333
09-25-2014, 06:23 PM
Well I aint about to start a fire, so off to the store.

1johnlb
09-25-2014, 06:30 PM
Sorry about the loosey shooting
Frank

Frank , I was by no means putting down your shooting capibilities. I would also by no means want to be in competition with you. Only stating, just maybe, dacron would have helped those groups.

1johnlb
09-25-2014, 06:49 PM
Umm, no. Not unless you solder them on the shank.

Gear

Gear, not questioning your expertise. But please school me as to what possibly could be happening to the gas check when hit from behind with 10-40000 psi and crimped to the lead by the inward force of the rifling. Now, I'm by no means a rocket scientist, but in allmy years of mechanical experience and training, I can bouce for what I learned in grade school, for every action there is a equal and opposite reaction. Under these conditions, while in the barrel the gc, in my experience does in fact add to the capibility of the lead to grip the rifling. Thus softer gc less strenght of that boolit and it's ability.

My appoligise for the drift.

frnkeore
09-25-2014, 08:46 PM
Larry says:
"that we all shall continue suing said fillers"

I didn't mean for you to take it as far as the US courts, Just don't use them.

Speaking of law, I do have a constitutional right to disagree, don't I? Me and a few thousand other, competition shooters can prove that they aren't needed to produce accuracy.

These fillers are about internal ballistic and if you have good internal ballistics by the proper use of compontents, what purpose do fillers have?

My extreme spread, measured over a 10 shot string, on a M43 is 8 fps, can you do better than that, with a filler?

I just got in from testing a new powder and this is my control group of 13.5 gr #9, it measures 1.055, shot at 200. I was testing VV110 and it didn't shoot well.

Frank

Larry Gibson
09-25-2014, 10:25 PM
Frank

Obviously you didn't get the jest based on your "there" and "crouch".................

As to the Constitution Frank, I told you several times in my last post that you and your opinion were ok. I also told you with some combinations of powder, bullet and cartridge you are correct. Most all of us use such loads w/o a filler also. However, with the cartridge, bullet, rifle and powder the OP used he made his point also. "My extreme spread, measured over a 10 shot string, on a M43 is 8 fps, can you do better than that, with a filler?" The real question is, Frank, can YOU do that (answer your own question) with the rifle, cartridge, powder and cast bullet the OP used?

Your problem is, in this matter, only you are right and only what choose to use (left the pun out this time as you failed to get it last time) is correct. What others choose to use is wrong according to Frank. Unfortunately that is not reality. It obviously does not occur to you that many wish to use the powders they have, that they do not shoot at 100/200 yards for "record accuracy" only, they shoot from numerous positions and magazine feed the rounds instead of single loading, their rounds are not loaded into the rifle the same every time to position the powder, they wish to shoot at velocities other than the +/- 1400 fps you do and, most of all, that they do find the Dacron filler reduces the ES and SD of their loads and improves accuracy with what they want to use the way they want to use it. Not hard for the rest of us to understand Frank, apparently it is for you.

As I said before; feel free to do and use what you want. That however does not negate the obvious success the OP and the rest of us have using a filler, particularly a Dacron filler. So, don't we (as in all of us who use fillers correctly) "have a constitutional right to disagree" with you......don't we?

Larry Gibson

Iowa Fox
09-26-2014, 12:45 AM
"Crouch & Draw"

The last two shots I fired for qualification many moons ago.

303Guy
09-26-2014, 01:35 AM
I just got in from testing a new powder and this is my control group of 13.5 gr #9, it measures 1.055, shot at 200. I was testing VV110 and it didn't shoot well.Well if that load 'didn't do well' (I thought that was a pretty good group but I understand what you mean) then might I suggest you dry a tuft of Dacron filler and see how it compares? While I don't dispute what you are saying (in fact I agree with you) there definitely is a place for Dacron filler with cast boolit loads. I use Dacron even when the load density doesn't warrant it just to prevent powder spillage should the boolit get pulled out the case. I also use it to buffer the exposed lead base. Some of us have even experimented with reactive fillers with good success. I do believe this is the ultimate way to go but reactive fillers do add cost but also produce higher velocity.

Boolseye
10-01-2014, 01:02 PM
Any issues with Dacron in an AR-style gas system?

rintinglen
10-01-2014, 02:59 PM
Well my wife does not like fake fiber, so we have a lot of cotton batting, any one used it?.
I have been using a bag of Bamboo fiber that should last me until the next century--if I shoot a lot. I have used cotton in the past, but it compacts more than the bamboo or polyester. I will add that the bamboo is only being used because I asked my wife for some quilting batting when she was going to Joanna's and that is what she brought me. Domestic tranquility has its price.

Larry Gibson
10-01-2014, 03:32 PM
Any issues with Dacron in an AR-style gas system?

Not had any problems after 35+ years and untold rounds through numerous ARs and M16s.

Larry Gibson

Boolseye
10-01-2014, 03:49 PM
Perfect. Thanks Larry.
-jp

303Guy
10-02-2014, 01:15 AM
I have been using a bag of Bamboo fiber ...I'd like to know more about this.