PDA

View Full Version : Olympics

cbrick
02-09-2014, 01:50 PM
Anyone tried watching the figure skating? I about gave up on that as a sport during the Utah games. If the scoring isn't rigged it's done by some pretty stupid folks. Maybe both.

Last night during the women's skating the American skater was in first, it probably wouldn't have been gold but still, she did good. Then the Chinese skater put on a dazzling performance and easily takes first, ok fine, she deserved it. Then the Japanese skater comes out and in the middle of her performance falls flat on her hieny . . . And takes second from the American by a good margin. Huh? No points deducted for falling down and nearly falling a second time?

Seems like that sort of thing with every Olympics in figure skating.

Rick

pretzelxx
02-09-2014, 01:52 PM
I only watch some of the snowboarding. I don't care about scores just how cool it looks watching people flip doing like 30 mph on a board haha

btroj
02-09-2014, 01:56 PM
Rick, they actually changed the scoring system to eliminate much of that garbage. It is scored based on difficulty of each move, a bonus is given for jumps in second half of program, and what not. They even have judges who use replay to verify that things are actually done properly.

Dang it, I got as top listening to my former skater wife. I'll be back in a bit, I need to go wash my brain out.

cbrick
02-09-2014, 02:05 PM
Must be me then, I wasn't aware that sitting on your hieny and nearly doing it a second time in the same performance was considered difficult moves. I turned it off at that point, not worth the time it takes to sit and watch it.

Rick

fouronesix
02-09-2014, 02:06 PM
Haven't watched much of either the summer or winter games in several cycles. I did watch most of the biathlon that was covered (kind of surprised they even aired it!). Pretty much straight forward- little to "judge" once the competition begins. Little metal popper target, short lap penalty for missing and the clock.

btroj
02-09-2014, 02:08 PM
I have no desire to do the tricks of snowboarding but it is interesting to watch.

Monttexan
02-09-2014, 02:11 PM
I was wondering the same thing, but saw a write up about it this morning. Each move is first given points for difficulty, and then deductions are made based on how well the move is completed. The Japanese gal tried the most difficult jump of any that was attempted so she had more potential points to score. The US gal tried a move worth 9 points, and didn't complete it (under rotated the jump) so there was a 30% deduction for being incomplete....THEN she got further deduction for falling. It also talked about there being different "levels" of spins. The US gal only did level 3 spins while the Japanese gal did level 4 spins worth more points. It did seem pretty arbitrary last night, but makes a bit more sense after reading that on Yahoo earlier.

cbrick
02-09-2014, 02:13 PM
I have no desire to do the tricks of snowboarding but it is interesting to watch.

Doing the snowboarding stuff isn't so tough.

It's the six months I would spend in a body cast afterwards that would be tough.

Rick

cbrick
02-09-2014, 02:16 PM
I didn't watch all of the American skaters because I turned it off but the one I'm referring to did not fall. Maybe it's me but it seems logical that staying upright would be more difficult than sitting on your butt.

Rick

btroj
02-09-2014, 02:20 PM
A failed quad jump can be worth more than a successful triple IF you complete all the required rotations. If you don't complete the rotations it is a failed triple. They have judges who use replays in slow motion to determine if rotations are completed and many other things.

The point is to reward those who try something more difficult and are marginally successful.

Make sense?

btroj
02-09-2014, 02:21 PM
Doing the snowboarding stuff isn't so tough.

It's the six months I would spend in a body cast afterwards that would be tough.

Rick

At your age? Six months? I would figure on a lifetime as a vegetable if I tried it.

cbrick
02-09-2014, 02:34 PM
That would make sense IF melting ice with your butt were more difficult than staying upright but somehow that just doesn't seem so. H*ll, I could go out there and fall down, a lot in fact. Should I win?

Rick

btroj
02-09-2014, 02:38 PM
Don't forget that one must complete the revolutions for that to occur.

I don't always understand it but my wife does. I don't care near as much a s she does so I love with it.

Bzcraig
02-09-2014, 02:44 PM
When the Olympics changed from purely amateur athletics (for the most part) I lost interest. Has there ever been a better victory than The Miracle on Ice?

btroj
02-09-2014, 02:47 PM
It was never amateur for many eastern block countries. Still isn't in china.

Boyscout
02-09-2014, 02:49 PM
To make it less subjective they should run it like a steeple-chase race in track. All the pretty pairs start out on a race course and they do their pretty jumps and rotations over obstacles like thin ice and 3 foot of water. It they don't make the distance or do their routines in the allotted space, they end up in the drink. It would be much more entertaing that way I would think.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-09-2014, 02:56 PM
It seems like a Dog and Pony show for the world's various Government entities and dignitaries. I can do without it, but If I had a wife or girlfriend, I suppose I'd be watching it also.

btroj
02-09-2014, 02:57 PM
My wife likes dogs and ponies.....

quilbilly
02-09-2014, 02:58 PM
I enjoy watching the biathlon. Did a little of that (too old, too late)and helped officiate at some summer biathlon competitions. Always worthy of note is that the U.S. never places in the biathlon events even though we have millions of active shooters. Even the French are better (gag). The answer to that is that very few of the really good U.S. skiers were capable of hitting the target (couldn't hit the floor with a hat in three tries). Most U.S. cross country skiers are so politically correct, they would be scared of those guns let alone disciplined enough to shoot them in a race. I love those slings they use for carrying the rifles. They are great for coyote hunting by bicycle or on skis. Those slings are all custom made in Europe.
Hint Hint to LoveLife - You could be on the U.S. Olympic Team in 2018 without even breathing hard.

Rick Hodges
02-09-2014, 03:06 PM
The ONLY reason I watch figure skating (other than the fact that SWIMBO is glued to the set) is to watch the wipeouts. I would give extra credit for a spectacular fall...and the more the better. I love the surprised look on their faces as they know they just are not going to make it. Yeah...kinda like the NASCAR fan who lives for the "big one" at Talladega.

LUBEDUDE
02-09-2014, 04:33 PM
If you've ever been in any type of competitive sport involving complex acrobatic moves you can appreciate the partial credit for failure/almost making it. You can tell a big difference in a fall if it is a first time try versus one that has been done successfully a thousand times. (Did you see how quick she got up like it never happened? It didn't seem to shake her up) That is why you can see some beauty in the form even though there was a mistake. Keeping in mind how much harder the trick was do. In fact, she was the only one in the whole Olympics with the Heart to even try it!

starmac
02-09-2014, 07:37 PM
Was she the one that put an ice pack on her hip as soon as she sat down. I'm thinking something was hurting too. lol

MT Gianni
02-09-2014, 09:30 PM
I enjoy watching the biathlon. Did a little of that (too old, too late)and helped officiate at some summer biathlon competitions. Always worthy of note is that the U.S. never places in the biathlon events even though we have millions of active shooters. Even the French are better (gag). The answer to that is that very few of the really good U.S. skiers were capable of hitting the target (couldn't hit the floor with a hat in three tries). Most U.S. cross country skiers are so politically correct, they would be scared of those guns let alone disciplined enough to shoot them in a race. I love those slings they use for carrying the rifles. They are great for coyote hunting by bicycle or on skis. Those slings are all custom made in Europe.
Hint Hint to LoveLife - You could be on the U.S. Olympic Team in 2018 without even breathing hard.

Another former Summer Biathlon official here. Several members of the US team trained in the higher altitudes in MT. When they were done they would put on clinics for the rest, mainly on shooting form. Great people. The man that officiated the station next to mine was a former German Air Force pilot. His full time assignment was ferrying the biathletes around. He liked it so much he married one. When someone asked if she was any good he replied "no, both Olympics only Bronze, she tried hard but only Bronze both times". That is a small example of the dedication the sport has in Europe where training begins as a pre-teen.

Bzcraig
02-10-2014, 01:07 AM
That's what made the miracle on ice so sweet.

Gelandangan
02-10-2014, 02:04 AM
LOL, I do watch them figure skating.
I don't really care much of the scoring system, but I really enjoyed those nubiles shaking their booties.
I can't help it, I am a pig..

Echo
02-10-2014, 02:22 AM
After Hank Iba and the US BB team got shafted 30+ years ago, I stopped having much truck with judged sports. Sports that depend on measurement are still of interest, but the debacle of Sarah Vaughn several years ago completed my antithesis toward judged sports.

dale2242
02-10-2014, 08:35 AM
I find figure skating about as exciting as watching paint dry.....dale

garym1a2
02-10-2014, 10:33 AM
But can you skate backwards, jump ten feet in the air and spin 4 times first while looking gracefull.

That would make sense IF melting ice with your butt were more difficult than staying upright but somehow that just doesn't seem so. H*ll, I could go out there and fall down, a lot in fact. Should I win?

Rick

Freischütz
02-10-2014, 03:38 PM
My interest in biathlon dropped when they went from center fire rifles to rimfires. I do enjoy the sledding, skying, and speed skating.

02-10-2014, 04:52 PM
When the Olympics changed from purely amateur athletics (for the most part) I lost interest. Has there ever been a better victory than The Miracle on Ice?

As an Australian I would have to say yes,
Australia's first Winter Olympics gold medal was a true miracle, Steven Bradbury made it through the quarter and semi finals of the 1000m short track due to fellow competitors crashing and being disqualified. Last corner of the final he was last by 15m when the other 4 competitors crashed taking them all out, last man standing won gold.
At his peak he may have been good enough to make it into the final but I think he was past it by 2002, luck, luck and then more luck saw him win gold. Having said that he could obviously skate, was a member of the short track relay team that won Australia's first ever winter medal in 92.

Duckiller
02-10-2014, 06:55 PM
If you can't determine who won with a stop watch, tape measure or by counting goals then it is not a real sport. Style points let people who can't compete pick who they want to win. Figure skating and gymnastics may be ardous but they are not real competive sports.

Blacksmith
02-11-2014, 01:21 AM
A failed quad jump can be worth more than a successful triple IF you complete all the required rotations. If you don't complete the rotations it is a failed triple. They have judges who use replays in slow motion to determine if rotations are completed and many other things.

The point is to reward those who try something more difficult and are marginally successful.

Make sense?

Makes about as much sense as giving me more points for trying to shoot a 300 yard target and missing than you putting all in the black at at 100. To me a perfectly executed double is worth more than a botched quad. How many points for a skater who attempt all most difficult moves and misses every one. It went down hill when they stopped mandatory figures.

btroj
02-11-2014, 11:37 AM
It only counts if you fall on the landing but did complete the correct number of rotations.

I don't like skating either but at least they tried to come up with a enter scoring system than just having judges pick winners and losers. Now they have a formula that reduces the potential for collusion.

Ubet
02-11-2014, 08:39 PM
The latest medal count for the US is 2 Gold, 1 Silver and 4 Bronze. Our current standing is the US is tied for 4th place overall.

popper
02-12-2014, 10:37 AM
I'll give credit to the skills of the players but lost interest after tours to L.A. & Seoul. About as interesting as Pro Bowling. Just a big advertizing campaign.