PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan Gas Checks

Lizard333
02-09-2014, 09:10 AM
Ok, so I get updates from eBay about 30 cal gas checks that are newly listed. I see a new offering from Vulcan gas checks. They look like a pretty good buy. So I do search here and nothing comes up. On their website, they have a link to our site here, but I can't seem to find them here.

Anyone use these yet? They have sample packs for a buck with free shipping to see what works best. I like that idea as I have only ever used Hornady gas checks.

Their website is Vulcanchecks.com

Anyone?

lancem
02-09-2014, 09:13 AM
I use them in .30 cal, I'm new to gas checks so my opinion may not be worth much but I use two different sizes and they both work well, no defects found to date, shipping was real fast.

Tatume
02-09-2014, 09:20 AM
Unless there is some advantage to aluminum gas checks of which I am unaware, I think I would prefer the less expensive copper from Hornady or Gator.

nighthunter
02-09-2014, 03:10 PM
Just a thought ...... Perhaps the thinner 30 caliber check with it being able to fit a larger shank might be very useful with Powder Coated bullets so that bullets could be checked and sized after the coating is applied. I think I am going to give them a try.

Nighthunter

Blammer
02-09-2014, 05:55 PM
I thought the purpose of powder coating was so you wouldn't have to GC them?

elwood4884
02-10-2014, 07:01 PM
Hello all,

Thought It would be worth introducing myself since I am the person selling VulcanChecks Gas Checks. We provided a link on our website because I have been a long time lurker over the years and learned a lot here. If there is anything I can do to help you folks out let me know. We are currently testing copper versions of our popular gas checks and should hopefully have something out for you folks soon.

John

Lizard333
02-10-2014, 11:45 PM
Well, I ordered some sample packs. I'm going to try the 30 cal and 45 cal, see how they fit. I'm needing a few thousand and these might fill the order. I'll let you guys know what I find.

You guys have plans to do 35 and 44 cal products as well??

elwood4884
02-11-2014, 12:43 AM
Lizard,

Thanks for the order. We are relatively small right now so we have been adding calibers as we go. I will add 35 and 44 calibers to the list of calibers we will be looking at in the short term.

Thanks.

John

Lizard333
02-15-2014, 06:27 PM
Ok, so I got home and my sample packs of gas checks came in the mail. These checks look good, were packaged great, and shipped promptly. I tried them on my 311299 mold and both sizes, .013 and .0145. Both sets fit my shank, and neither of them after sizing could not be pulled off with my thumb nail. These hold better than some the copper checks I have used and look like a pretty good product.I am personally going to be ordering a few thousand of the .013 as they were easier to apply before sizing and held great.

Seems like a good company to work with, looking forward to getting my next package.

quilbilly
02-15-2014, 06:35 PM
Welcome to our group, John!

elwood4884
02-15-2014, 09:48 PM
Thanks! Hope to post more often on here!

Lizard, Glad to hear they are working out for you. If you need anything dont hesitate to contact me.

Shiloh
02-16-2014, 10:39 AM
Unless there is some advantage to aluminum gas checks of which I am unaware, I think I would prefer the less expensive copper from Hornady or Gator.

+1

Shiloh

DLCTEX
02-16-2014, 10:53 AM
Do you have checks for. 459 dia boolits?

Lizard333
02-16-2014, 04:00 PM
I just ordered 3000 30 cal checks for 21.00 a thousand. My math says that is more than 12.00 a thousand cheaper than hornady's. To me that is a no brainer.

elwood4884
02-16-2014, 08:53 PM
DLCTEX, we have 45 Caliber Gas Checks available through our website at www.vulcanchecks.com . If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact me. If you are not sure if these will work for you feel free to try our sample packs.

Lizard333
02-21-2014, 09:17 PM
Ok. So I got my 30 cal checks in the mail. First off, dealing with Vulcan Checks has been very easy. After placing my order online, I got a quick email back indicating that my order was picked and tracking info was attached. This was within a couple hours of ordering.

Next, the product arrived promptly and packaged well. The gas checks are clearly labeled and nicely done.

Bottom line, these guys are legit. The product is great, well packaged, and they keep you informed every step along the way. I will definitely be using these guys again in the future.

mikeym1a
02-21-2014, 11:17 PM
Thanks! Hope to post more often on here!

Lizard, Glad to hear they are working out for you. If you need anything dont hesitate to contact me.

Small businesses. The only jobs added to the workforce in almost 6 years. Go America!

blikseme300
02-21-2014, 11:21 PM
I received my sample pack yesterday and will give these a work out this weekend. I will be testing 30 and 22 cal using a 30-30 Marlin and AR-15 in 223. Checks look good and crimped on fine through a Star sizer. I will be comparing to Hornady checks using the same loads and batches of CB's. As long as accuracy and function match the more expensive checks I will be sold on this product.

nighthunter
02-25-2014, 12:14 PM
I placed an order for 2000 30 cal and 2000 22 cal checks on Friday evening. The checks arrived in Mondays mail. Is that fast delivery or is that fast delivery. Thanks Elwood. I wanted to try the .013 thick 30 cal checks because I thought they might be useful on my 30 cal powder coated bullets. I was correct. I am able to apply this check over the powder coating without deforming the coating on the shank of the bullet. Thicker checks gouge the coating and end up not seating squarely. I'm very glad this product is available and I will be ordering more.

Nighthunter

paul edward
02-25-2014, 02:32 PM
Thanks everyone. Good to know that gas checks remain available at competitive prices and with good customer service.

elwood4884
02-25-2014, 04:49 PM
Night, Glad we could be of help. Also thanks for letting us know that the .013 are good for powder coated. We havent done much testing with powder coated bullets.

elwood4884
02-25-2014, 04:57 PM
All, We are now offering 30, 44 and 45 Calibers in Copper as well. If you are interested they are available at our website. Our sample packs now include aluminum and copper.

elwood4884
04-26-2014, 12:32 PM
If anyone is interested, VulcanChecks is now on Facebook! http://www.facebook.com/VulcanChecks/

Char-Gar
05-30-2014, 10:59 AM
I got an email from Glen Fryxell with the draft of an article he had written up about Vulcan checks in his 6.5 Swede. He says they work as well as copper.

I went to their site www.vulcanchecks.com and ordered out 1K for some 357156 bullets I found in my shop last month from a long forgotten casting session. Their prices are VERY GOOD.

I am glad these folks are around. Looks they are a boon for us casters.

fatelvis
05-31-2014, 11:48 AM
I like the ability to fit checks onto oversized or undersized GC shanks. You get what you get with Hornady! I'll be buying a bunch of 30 cal soon. I still have to measure up all my 30 cal shanks and determine what size to use.

MaryB
05-31-2014, 11:05 PM
Will have to get some sample packs next month, need to grab a .225 sizer from lee too so I can load for my bolt gun.

jimwill48
06-01-2014, 11:45 AM
Have you any plans for 7mm gaschecks....james

Finarfin
06-01-2014, 12:09 PM
32 caliber. Missing out on the 32-40 market just wouldn't be logical.

Should work on 32 winchester special and the 8mm also.

leadman
06-01-2014, 12:31 PM
I have been using 338RemUltraMags' aluminum checks for quite awhile now with no issues. I have pushed the aluminum over 3,500 fps.

popper
06-01-2014, 12:55 PM
any of these GC come annealed & cleaned?

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-01-2014, 01:46 PM
I like the ability to fit checks onto oversized or undersized GC shanks. You get what you get with Hornady!

A month ago, I connected with Vulcan via Facebook and tested some of his 6mm aluminum GC's. I hesitate to post this, as I see their website doesn't offer 6mm checks yet, But I assume they will offer that size soon. I didn't write up a formal report as they requested me to fill out a online Q&A form with my results, otherwise I would have gladly posted a report here. But I can offer you a few highlights.

To me a Gas check is a Gas check, aluminum or Copper, it doesn't matter ...what matters is how the GC fits the shank and of course how it sizes and crimps on the boolit, which is a product of FIT. This is why I quoted fatelvis. When I got the samples from Vulcan, they sent some made with .010 alum and some made with .0145 alum. I was happy to see that, as I have two different 6mm molds each with a different sized GC shank.

My Lyman 245496 has a shank that measures .231 and normally I use the old Lyman brass slip-on GC's as the Hornadys are sloppy loose. When I applied a Vulcan .010 alum GC to it, it would pull off easily, but when I applied the Vulcan .0145 it crimped on tight...tighter than even the Lyman Brass slip-on GC.

My NOE 245-75 FN has a shank that measures .234 and normally I use the Hornady GC's, they snap on easily with just finger pressure and crimp on nicely. The old Lyman brass slip-on GC's don't really fit and are just too small for that boolit. When I applied a Vulcan .010 alum GC to it, it would snap on easily with just finger pressure and crimped on tight, but when I applied the Vulcan .0145 It was very difficult, I "HAD" to use the press with my Gas Check Seater Plate, to seat them and when I attempted to size the boolit and crimp the GC on, with was difficult to say the least...I damaged more than one while doing that function.

In conclusion, as fatelvis said, "I like the ability to fit checks"
One of their thickness's offered fit one of my Boolits ...and their other thickness fit my other boolit.

Bullshop Junior
06-02-2014, 02:15 AM
Ok, so I get updates from eBay about 30 cal gas checks that are newly listed. I see a new offering from Vulcan gas checks. They look like a pretty good buy. So I do search here and nothing comes up. On their website, they have a link to our site here, but I can't seem to find them here.

Anyone use these yet? They have sample packs for a buck with free shipping to see what works best. I like that idea as I have only ever used Hornady gas checks.

Their website is Vulcanchecks.com

Anyone?

I have used a bunch of their checks. I like them.

Bullshop Junior
06-02-2014, 02:18 AM
Hello all,

Thought It would be worth introducing myself since I am the person selling VulcanChecks Gas Checks. We provided a link on our website because I have been a long time lurker over the years and learned a lot here. If there is anything I can do to help you folks out let me know. We are currently testing copper versions of our popular gas checks and should hopefully have something out for you folks soon.

John

Good to see you on here John. I was gonna suggest you join this site. I've been too bust to test those 270 checks yet but they look good.

Bullshop Junior
06-02-2014, 02:19 AM

Less expancive??? Really? I think you are backwards.

elwood4884
06-02-2014, 12:25 PM
I got an email from Glen Fryxell with the draft of an article he had written up about Vulcan checks in his 6.5 Swede. He says they work as well as copper.

I went to their site www.vulcanchecks.com and ordered out 1K for some 357156 bullets I found in my shop last month from a long forgotten casting session. Their prices are VERY GOOD.

I am glad these folks are around. Looks they are a boon for us casters.

Char, I am glad to hear that our checks are being well received. We started making checks because we werent happy that the market was locked with only a couple of manufacturers charging crazy prices. We also found locally here in Rochester, NY that we couldnt get any (No political comments needed.... we all know the problems in NY! ). So thats when we decided we could do a better job at a cheaper price and keep people shooting. The last thing I ever want to hear from anyone is tha they couldnt get out to shoot because they were unable to find gas checks for their cast boolits.

Thanks again.

elwood4884
06-02-2014, 12:27 PM
Have you any plans for 7mm gaschecks....james

jimwill48, We are continually adding different caliber gas checks to our inventory. The best suggestion is to sign up for our mailing list on our website. We generally release new caiblers there first. I have added 7mm to our list of calibers we have received requests for.

Greg_Mid_TN
06-02-2014, 02:23 PM
Just ordered a .30 cal sample pack. Can't wait to try these out as I have had trouble getting the Hornady GCs on my 170 gr boolits.

parson48
06-02-2014, 05:44 PM
Saw the thread title and, being a fan of original Star Trek, I envisioned an episode wherein Mr Spock was trying to deal with a quite indelicate problem.

Sorry, carry on.

leadman
06-03-2014, 01:13 PM
For casters that heat treat their boolits and use aluminum gas checks I found I had to install the gas checks before heat treating. I heat treated linotype 22 caliber boolits and then installed the gas checks. The boolits were 35 bhn and the aluminum extruded up the side of the boolit when pushed thru a Lee sizer. Copper gave no problem.
I do have a mold that could use and oversize check so will be ordering a sample pack.

nighthunter
06-03-2014, 10:11 PM
Popper ... I don't think you will need to anneal the aluminum checks. They seem to seat on even oversized shanks with no problem. I even use them on PC'ed bullets with no disturbance to the coating.

Nighthunter

leadman
06-17-2014, 03:43 AM
I got the sample packs and tried to fit the checks to a 314299 with an oversized shank. I was able to get the 2 thinnest checks on the shank but they would not crimp down as the outside diameter of the check is smaller than what the boolit will be sized to. The outside diameter of the checks is .310" to .311" and I size this boolit to .314" and .315". A Hornady GC is .320" and 338RemUltraMag's checks are .318" or so.
So in this case it is back to the punch I made to expand the inside of the Hornady and 338's gas checks. I am thinking of how I can make a device to fit my press to do this faster. The expanding part is easy, getting the check off the punch is not so easy.

elwood4884
06-22-2014, 07:03 PM
Free shipping through Saturday, June 28th. You will receive a credit on your shopping cart for the cost of shipping. Check us out www.vulcanchecks.com . Details on our homepage.

JWFilips
08-08-2014, 06:36 AM
I recently needed some copper 30 cal gas checks quickly since the ones I had here were too small to fit the base of my new 165 RD NOE mould Boolits
Since Vulcan was close by I bought 500 from them online on e-bay ( very quick got them the 2nd day) however I still had the issue of those being too small to to fit the base of that boolit ( came as my other commercial brand) even after anealing & springing the mouths on them.

I wrote Vulcan to ask if they had anything that would fit. Instantly John Overacker e-mailed me and said he was sending me out some slightly larger copper checks to try (No Charge) Got them in 2 days & they fit! E-mailed him to let him know they worked and to ask If I could return the standard 30 cal checks I had bought.

He went way beyond as far as customer service goes. by sending me a new batch of larger checks @ No charge & I didn't have to return the original 500 I bought.

BTW I got those in 2 days. Looks like I will be using more of their products. Their copper checks are very high quality and size on to the boolit bases tightly!
Jim

1johnlb
08-08-2014, 07:32 AM
I bought some over eBay of the aluminum checks for a cheaper alternative than hornadys copper. Ran about 60 thru my 300bo ar pistol. The aluminium was melting and left a nasty coat of aluminum all over my bolt in the gas system.I was pushing them hard though around 2100 fps. 16.2 grs 300mp.almost a full charge. Needless to say I pulled the rest and threw the rest in the scrap brass bucket. I don't want to coat my barrels with aluminum.

There was a definite group size increase about 3x bigger.

Magana559
08-08-2014, 07:48 AM
You are never going to melt aluminum while firing your AR. What you have is a case of leading. I use these checks on my SKS with not one issue, I even recovered a few still on the boolit after they hit rocky soil.

elwood4884
08-08-2014, 07:59 AM
Magana and Jim,

Thanks for the praise. Glad to help!

John,

Check your private messages. I would like to help you out if we can.

1johnlb
08-08-2014, 04:07 PM
You are never going to melt aluminum while firing your AR. What you have is a case of leading. I use these checks on my SKS with not one issue, I even recovered a few still on the boolit after they hit rocky soil.

OK, Magana, let's say it was lead, it wasn't there shooting hornandy's. That would mean they weren't gripping the rifling, which would also explain the group size growing.

I am not trying to slam Elwood, Vulcan, or aluminum checks I'm only saying they didn't work in my application. They were well made .

Pm on the way, Elwood

Magana559
08-08-2014, 04:23 PM
OK, Magana, let's say it was lead, it wasn't there shooting hornandy's. That would mean they weren't gripping the rifling, which would also explain the group size growing.

Well let me explain again. We can't just say it's lead because I say so, I'm saying I'm 100% sure it's lead. It is impossible to melt the aluminum gas check much less vaporize it and cover your bolt.
Also you said you were pushing the projectiles hard that day. Another reason why you can having your leading problem.

Gas checks are not miracle workers.

1johnlb
08-08-2014, 04:44 PM
Well let me explain again. We can't just say it's lead because I say so, I'm saying I'm 100% sure it's lead. It is impossible to melt the aluminum gas check much less vaporize it and cover your bolt.
Also you said you were pushing the projectiles hard that day. Another reason why you can having your leading problem.

Gas checks are not miracle workers.

LET ME MAKE THIS PRESCHOOL SIMPLE, TO YOU.

Same load, brass, primer, powder, alloy, and projectile design.

Copper check, NO problem

Aluminum check, PROBLEM

Understand, if not I can't help you!
Thanks and have a nice day,
John

Magana559
08-08-2014, 06:44 PM
You are simply not making yourself clear from the beginning.

First you state that the aluminum checks were coating your barrel and bolt with aluminum. ...I simply stated that was not true and that you have other issues.

if the thickness of the check is not identical to the previous check you were using then that's your problem.

But someone with such high education should have already known that, you do not need a uneducated person like me to tell you that.

P.S I hope you got all that aluminum off your barrel and bolt..Next time try using smokeless powder vs uranium in that AR pistol to avoid vaporizing the aluminum gas check.

1johnlb
08-08-2014, 07:29 PM
Magana it has become increasingly apparent to me that you must be on Vulcan payroll. Only after I posted my experience with aluminum checks did you come on the scene and started defending their/your product. If you have a problem with one bad review, that's your problem. After rereading my post I know that I made my self perfectly clear. Neither have I changed my story of what happened to me . I did NOT say I had aluminum in my barrel but only stated that I didn't want it in my barrel. I had aluminum in my gas system. Please reread it except this time do it very slowly.
How do you know what happened to me, were you there?!!!
I am done with YOU!!!

elwood4884
08-08-2014, 07:33 PM
No one on this forum receives compensation from VulcanChecks besides me.

I am requesting that people refrain from attacks on each other. People have different opinions and different experiences. While no one is right or wrong we should respect each other's positions.

If we can't respect each other no one wins.

Thanks for your respect and again please refrain from attacks.

1johnlb
08-09-2014, 01:37 PM
Bumpidy bump

jhalcott
08-09-2014, 02:28 PM
I do NOT know what your problem is, BUT I've shot PAPER patched bullets faster than 2200 fps and NEVER melted the paper! SOME THING you did to the bullets changed their size and allowed ignition gasses to ablate the lead. Even coating the BOLT! (?) I have had lead in the gas system of my 30 carbine and even in my M1 Garand, but it did not affect the bolt.

NVScouter
10-22-2014, 08:13 PM
I ordered .30 and .45 sample pack as well as 500 .30s since I'm out! Ordered Sunday night lets see how fast they get to Wyoming. I have deer and antelope to kill next week.

Got my confirmation email but not a shipping one yet though (Wed)

elwood4884
11-25-2014, 05:43 PM
All,

People have asked and we have heard. We are now carrying 8mm Gas Checks. You can pick them up on our website at www.vulcanchecks.com (http://www.vulcanchecks.com) or through Amazon/Ebay. Also, since you folks have been so good to us I would like to offer you folks 10% off your order. Use coupon code TRR10OFF at checkout to get 10% off your total order. 10% off is good through the end of the year.

Thanks again.