PDA

View Full Version : New RCBS mold is awesome!

Hounddog
02-09-2014, 02:14 AM
Had some extra cash burning a hole in my pocket and decided to pick up a RCBS 45-270-SAA to feed my Colt 45 Bisley Blackhawk and my Colt 45 Puma 92. This is my first Iron mold so I was a little nervous about using it. After de-gunking it with a Q-tip and brake cleaner I set it on my hot plate and heated it up. It only took about four pours till it got up to temp and was dropping keepers. Once at temp I was amazed at how well it held temp out in my cold work-shed. Normally with my aluminum molds I have to dip the molds to get the temp up but this mold just kept on going. The only thing that slowed me down was having to put more lead in the pot. All boolits dropped around 275-280 grains with my range scrap alloy and miked out at .455" before sizing. Overall I am very impressed with this mold and will be definitely purchasing more from RCBS in the future!

Slow Elk 45/70
02-09-2014, 02:51 AM
Good for you!! RCBS is producing fine molds at this time , IMHO... I have 2 -45 cal & @-44's.
They all drop boolits very close to what we need as casters....Good Luck[smilie=1:

PbHurler
02-09-2014, 08:44 AM
I like the RCBS molds I own, now if they would only produce 4-holers........:cool:

osteodoc08
02-09-2014, 09:17 AM
That's a fine design. I love my MiHec copy. Great for lever guns as well.