PDA

View Full Version : Ran into another problem

Walter Laich
02-08-2014, 10:52 PM
I'm running out of cast bullets to PC.
I've pc over 40 lbs and now have to get back to casting so I have something to coat
It's always something :)

Beagle333
02-08-2014, 11:04 PM
Same thing here. I have been dragging bags of old LLA tumble lubed boolits out of storage, washing them in gas and thinner and drying them so I can coat more! :-D

I haven't cleaned any regular lubed boolits yet, I'm gonna shoot them as-is, but all the LLA will soon be a distant sticky memory.:wink:

RP
02-08-2014, 11:32 PM
you guys are sick stop right now and start wearing a face mask your breathing the powder. Oh never mind I have been casting so I to have bullets to PC. And its so bad I plan days around when to cast and when I am going to coat. BTW do not PC your house key so you can find it faster it will not go in the lock well that's what I hear.

bayjoe
02-08-2014, 11:51 PM
Come to my house, I have a gallon of 30 caliber rifle bullets and a half gallon of 22 that need coated and gas checked.

williamwaco
02-09-2014, 12:07 AM
I have heard of sniffing paint thinner.

Does this have about the same effect?

Bzcraig
02-09-2014, 01:54 AM
Same thing here. I have been dragging bags of old LLA tumble lubed boolits out of storage, washing them in gas and thinner and drying them so I can coat more! :-D

I haven't cleaned any regular lubed boolits yet, I'm gonna shoot them as-is, but all the LLA will soon be a distant sticky memory.:wink:

I have just recently taken a liking to all the PCing stuff but after reading this, I'm thinking this is going to make me a PC junkie. This website is making me poor!

Freightman
02-09-2014, 10:39 AM
you all are a bunch of addicts, you need a program financed by the Government. :2_high5:

mdi
02-09-2014, 12:48 PM
Jes wonderin', I've remelted a bunch regular lubed bullets now and again to get some lead for casting new bullets, but how do PC bullets do in a melting pot? Mebbe leave a goopy mess? Or burn off?

prickett
02-09-2014, 01:27 PM
Melting PC in a pot leaves the empty shells, so you can scoop them out.

Walter Laich
02-09-2014, 03:37 PM
then we could fill them with aluminum or something similar and see them to the Army as 'green' projectiles

BIGRED
02-09-2014, 09:27 PM
I am in the same situation. I keep running out of boolits to PC. I have a few thousand lubed with LLA. How do I use gas or thinner to clean it off? I believe lubing boolits is in the rear view mirror.

Beagle333
02-09-2014, 10:48 PM
I put em in a gallon coffee can and cover them with gas and carefully swirl/tumble-around til I don't see any more brown on em, dump onto some mesh and let them dry. They might coat well at this point, but I just give them a little swirl in some thinner because they still smell like gas even after it is dry. The thinner leaves no smell when they dry after using it. I have not tried using thinner only to remove LLA..... I always have a spare quart or so of gas sitting around that is getting old and needs replaced.

kryogen
02-09-2014, 10:54 PM
I've heard that they dont coat well if they were lubed before.

Honestly, I will just re-melt mine into ingots to burn all lube, and cast again. Probably going to be faster to re-cast than trying to clean, PC, and then see the fail, and then re-melt....

Walter Laich
02-10-2014, 11:53 AM
Since I love casting, too I'm fine with melting them down and casting fresh

catman81056
02-10-2014, 12:02 PM
I've just been throwing them in the pot and remelting. After they are melted I throw in some sawdust to help soak up the alox, leaves a nasty residue on my spoon otherwise.

mdi
02-10-2014, 01:35 PM
Since I love casting, too I'm fine with melting them down and casting fresh
Yessir! me too...

prickett
02-10-2014, 02:21 PM
I've heard that they dont coat well if they were lubed before.

Honestly, I will just re-melt mine into ingots to burn all lube, and cast again. Probably going to be faster to re-cast than trying to clean, PC, and then see the fail, and then re-melt....

I believe that is specific to HI-TEK. The sizing process leaves the boolit too smooth (or something like that) for the coating to adhere to.