PDA

View Full Version : mp 452-200 penta pin hollow point

Bogone
02-08-2014, 08:49 PM
I am having a real problem getting the boolit to release from the penta pen in my mold anyone have a tip. They stick everytime. I tried smoking tem, heating the mold up hotter to no avail. Thanks

ballistim
02-08-2014, 09:12 PM
I cleaned up the rough spots on mine with an ignition point file and cover them with pencil lead graphite and it's helped, seem to do better after being broke in a bit. Hope this helps.

Forrest r
02-08-2014, 09:17 PM
Did the same thing, smoothed them with 500 grip sand paper using glass as a base/pad. I just do the sanding automatically anymore, 5 molds. They all work flawlessly after cleaning them up.

Mal Paso
02-08-2014, 09:23 PM
That and an electric hot plate with flat surface or add a metal plate on top so the bottom of the pins are in contact with the hot plate. Preheating like that gives you a running start.

xacex
02-08-2014, 09:32 PM
That and an electric hot plate with flat surface or add a metal plate on top so the bottom of the pins are in contact with the hot plate. Preheating like that gives you a running start.

+1 to this^. Best investment for a new caster, or an old one.

Oreo
02-08-2014, 09:46 PM
I clean up the tool marks on the pins with some 600 grit wet sand paper. I wet the paper so it sticks to a piece of glass and then carefully go to it. It doesn't take much. Once that's done there's nothing really for the lead to grip.

Bogone
02-10-2014, 08:57 PM
96403I lapped the pins with 400 grit diamond stone and polished them. I'll give it a try tomorrow......... I took that photo with my iphone isn't that crazy.

Stonecrusher
02-10-2014, 09:50 PM
That is a great mold. I just used mine for the first time yesterday and it was an eye opener. I have been casting for almost 30 years and have always had single or double cavity iron molds, except for a 32 cal Lee 6 cavity. What a surprise when after an hour and a half I had 17 lbs of good bullets. Most bullets ever cast in that short of a time for me. And that time frame include discovering the penta pins were sticking after stoning them lightly and switching out to the rounds. And they dropped just a few tenths oversize.
I also used my new NOE 316299 and dropped about 12 lbs of those. Both excellent products. All my new mold buys will be Mihec or NOE. Just doesn't make sense to spend nearly as much on an iron 2 cavity and get the luck of the draw when you can have the best!

tomme boy
02-10-2014, 11:23 PM
I have a spray can of Moly that I spray the pins with. Keep heat cycling it, do that 5-6 more times and it should clear up. If not, mix some graphite powder with some rubbing alcohol and apply it to the pins. I don't put anything on them anymore.

Bogone
02-11-2014, 09:09 PM
96523The mold works perfectly now. I also purchased a hot plate. Thanks for the help

Forrest r
02-11-2014, 10:20 PM
Very nice!!!!

A little massaging works wonder on those penta point pins. Enjoy your now mold, your in for a real treat with those bullets.

forrest r

CPL Lou
02-14-2014, 08:02 AM
I've always had success by taking an ordinary lead pencil and rubbing it all over the pins.
Never had a stuck boolit doing it that way.
Another trick is to coat them with Midway's Mold Release (actually useful for something !), then installing them in the mold and heating it up on my hotplate. I tape off the tips so I don't get the stuff all over the pins.

CPL Lou