PDA

View Full Version : Had a MAJOR issue today

pearcetopher
02-08-2014, 07:36 PM
Hi guys

in the past I have melted range scrap on my patio using a hotplate and an 8 inch steel skillet, after 30 mins of heating I would produce 15 lbs of lead from 20 lbs of material

After collecting 5 20 gallon buckets I went to walmart and bought a 60,000 btu cooker and 2 20lb propane tanks

I got to my gf's house and got to work, the weather was windy at about 20 mph which I am not used to and it was about 28 degrees farenheit.

I fired up the burner adjusted the collet to get blue flame and got cooking. I filled my 10 quart pot to the top, put the lid on and sat in my jeep while it cooked. After 40
minutes I found that only the bottom 3 inches of material had melted, by the time I pulled it out most of it had stuck to the other jackets and I was left with only 4 lbs of lead even thought I had put in probably 30 lbs of material.

I have never smelted in wind or cold but I figured 60,000 BTU would be enough to melt everything, the stand I use has no shield from the wind either. I'm hoping this was a weather issue but has anyone else ever run into this?

for next time I think I'm going for cast iron pot and no wind. Ive also considered buying a king cooker dual jet 360,000 btu to get the job done.

beagle
02-08-2014, 07:43 PM
I once carried my furnace to the range for some smelting. I'd mine and melt. Had a heck of a time melting. Finally had to make a wind shield and that helped a bunch./beagle

dubber123
02-08-2014, 08:02 PM
It's the wind. I tried it once with dismal results. A few scraps of plywood for a wind break later and I had more melted in 15 minutes than I did in the previous hour.

cbrick
02-08-2014, 08:11 PM
Was it cold AND windy? [smilie=1:

That's what it is. Not only does the cold wind keep the pot too cool but it also blows a lot of the heat away before it even gets to the pot. Think good wind shield and all should be good.

Rick

Jailer
02-08-2014, 08:42 PM
This is what I did with mine to help hold the heat in. Sorry for the lousy cell phone pic.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b180/Jailer/posting%20pics/shroud_zps1ace42b0.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/Jailer/media/posting%20pics/shroud_zps1ace42b0.jpg.html)

bhn22
02-08-2014, 08:48 PM
10 quart pan? You aren't using an aluminum pot, like the one that comes with most fish cookers are you?

Aluminum pots melt when you try to melt lead in them. Ask me, or many of the other guys how we know this.

JASON4X4
02-09-2014, 07:27 AM
Need a shield to block the wind and hold the heat in. Even on a calm day it will help melt faster and use less propane.

zuke
02-09-2014, 07:35 AM
I would have just called it a day, like I have in the past.

dave 45-90
02-09-2014, 12:19 PM
Same effect trying to solder a pipe outdoors....I have air movement shields on my smelter and the blueing tanks.. Just makes fuel sense

Bzcraig
02-09-2014, 12:50 PM
Was it cold AND windy? [smilie=1:

That's what it is. Not only does the cold wind keep the pot too cool but it also blows a lot of the heat away before it even gets to the pot. Think good wind shield and all should be good.

Rick

Rick speaks the truth. A 360k burner would be a bit of overkill.

Vulcan Bob
02-09-2014, 02:03 PM
It may look a bit goofy but on a windy day I wrap a sheet of tin foil around the lower part of my fish fryer burner. It really does help.

Iowa Fox
02-09-2014, 02:52 PM
I don't smelt until the temp hits at least 80 degrees with no wind. I have scrap tin heat shields to direct the heat to the bottom of the pot. Anything less for ambient air temps just makes everything much more difficult to get nice clean ingots poured. The better the smelt the better the finished product.

MarkP
02-09-2014, 02:59 PM
Making a 10 gallon batch of beer when cold and windy takes more heat to maintain a boil as compared to not windy conditions.

felix
02-09-2014, 03:09 PM
Best to do SERIOUS cooking in strong sunlight, no wind, low humidity, high temperature atmosphere. As many BTUs as can be arranged under the pot is most desired. Even the use of weed burners for top re-melting (tall pot) would provide immediate help just before adding flux to thoroughly stir down and in. Serious cooking is defined here as an all day affair with perhaps 1000 pounds minimum of WW and other trash in one BIG pot. Tin can be expected to vacate the premises during a such powerful cookout, but that can be best added based upon casting demand later. ... felix

GLL
02-09-2014, 03:19 PM
Another potential problem is the btu rating of the burner. Many burners on the market have highly exaggerated claims ! Propane produces 91,500 btu/gallon so it is easy to see if the claims are valid.

You better have a couple extra tanks available for that 360,000 btu model ! :)

Could you post a reference to where you foundthe King cooker 360,000 btu unit for sale? I would like to see what the burner looks like.

Jerry

DLCTEX
02-09-2014, 04:50 PM
Double post

DLCTEX
02-09-2014, 04:52 PM
That size cooker could definitely melt an aluminum pot before enough lead melted to absorb the heat as it develops. An +1 on a heat shield. I made mine of galvanized flashing. Made a big difference even in hot weather.

cwheel
02-09-2014, 05:15 PM
I smelt with a propane plumbers pot, and when smelting, wait for a 60 degree day with mild wind. To much of a heat loss in very low temps trying to get up to temp on a 40 lb. lead pot, it's a waste of propane. Warmer day, mild wind, much better results. Casting with the electric, it doesn't matter once the smelting is done. Spend the day smelting usually and get 200 lbs. + of alloy per day and build up a stock for casting later.
Chris

**oneshot**
02-09-2014, 05:51 PM
I put a tin foil wall around the frame of my burner to keep the wind at bay. I also made a sheet metal ring around the pot to trap the heat on the sides of the pot.