PDA

View Full Version : Lead vs hi tek vs PC

jmorris
02-08-2014, 06:01 PM
Unscientific but heated an aluminum plate side to side behind the bullets and the PC bullet went first. The lead bullet went second. Once the HT bullet looked molten I dropped it. Cracked like an egg.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/IMG_20140208_153658_676_zpse8f73560.jpg

Then the naked bullet went second. I removed it and kept the heat until the hi TEK bullet looked melted, then dropped it. Can't really see it in the photo but the result was somewhat like an eggshell.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/IMG_20140208_154357_469_zps1af82c82.jpg

sparky45
02-08-2014, 06:24 PM
Good pictures, but I don't know what it all means? What's your take on it?

jmort
02-08-2014, 06:42 PM
Has no practical value, but it appears that Hi Tek is a better insulator than PC.

jmorris
02-08-2014, 06:55 PM
I don't know that it adds anything to the topic. Just something I haven't done before.

firefly1957
02-08-2014, 06:59 PM
If you try again put them in a oven set to clean so heat distribution is more even.

kweidner
02-08-2014, 09:41 PM
I can attest to the fact that some ht mistakes I've made when thrown in the pot, Turn into a polymer jacket that will float on the surface. Lead will liquify in it before the polymer jacket goes. PC burns up more as I have never recovered pc like that.

bangerjim
02-08-2014, 11:46 PM
Interesting effect, but not really meaningful to what we are interested. My guns do not heat boolits up to the melting point.

I have noticed the lead will melt out of "recycled do-over" PC's boolits in the pot just before the PC burns to a black lump. Do not have any Hi-T to play with.

But thanks for doing the test. Provides some food for thought!

Inquiring minds want to know...............:coffeecom

banger

dverna
02-09-2014, 04:04 PM
For one thing, it would make the HT coated bullets less sensitive to variations in curing oven temperature. I have seen reports of bullets melting/slumping in some of the cheapie ovens with poor controllers.

But what do I know? I am still fence sitting.

Don Verna

kryogen
02-09-2014, 06:38 PM
hi tek looks nice but so far bayou will not ship to canada....

prickett
02-10-2014, 02:47 PM

Become their Canadian distributor. :-)

Moonman
02-10-2014, 04:06 PM
I've seen a video of the insulating properties.

A coated and uncoated BOOLIT was placed into a spoon,

heated from below with a handheld torch.

The un-coated one MELTED FIRST.

In that test it was only HI-TEK coated and PLAIN LEAD.

Gateway Bullets
02-10-2014, 04:10 PM

Kryogen,

I have been asked multiple times to ship to Canada, so I can only comment on my reasons. The shipping and clearing is expensive for small quantities and not worth the extra charge to the end user in most cases. If you can be a little patient, the powder is coming soon and will allow cheaper and faster shipping to Canada. Also, we have to register with our Department of Defense for any exports of materials, components, etc etc etc.

kryogen
02-10-2014, 08:47 PM
what do you mean the powder is coming?

Why is it expensive as a liquid? because it's considered a hazardous mat?

Moonman
02-10-2014, 09:18 PM
It will be cheaper to ship AIR, Smaller Size, No Haz-Mat.

Presently it must come on a CONTAINER SHIP 3-4 months till

it gets to a southern port.

Need lots of orders for a container too.

kryogen
02-10-2014, 10:13 PM
and how do you apply it?

Moonman
02-10-2014, 10:24 PM
The POWDER HI-TEK is in the PROTOTYPE/DEVELOPMENT stage in Australia.

kryogen
02-10-2014, 10:34 PM
Tell us more

Moonman
02-10-2014, 10:43 PM
Go to the Sticky - - - - simple Hi-Tek coating 124 page thread.

Closer to the end of the thread AUSGLOCK is one of the testers.

He speaks of the colors he's been trying.

Gateway Bullets
02-10-2014, 11:03 PM
Moonman,

The powdered coating is not in the prototype stage. Hi-Tek has created the powder and is in the planning process to "ramp up" production to commercial levels. It will be available in only one type of catalyst and only in a few colors (less than ten if I remember). It may take a 3 months or so for that to happen. BUT IT WILL HAPPEN!

Kryogen,

The powdered coating will have multiple advantages over the solvent based coating. Ease of shipping, storage, usage, and a few other advantages. The powdered version already has the catalyst included in the powder so all you have to measure is the powder and acetone. You will be able to "adjust" the mix a little easier.

popper
02-11-2014, 12:50 AM
Recycling HT, HF PC & lead, results are the same as yours but I don't know that it makes any difference during shooting.

HI-TEK
02-11-2014, 03:57 AM
Moonman,

The powdered coating is not in the prototype stage. Hi-Tek has created the powder and is in the planning process to "ramp up" production to commercial levels. It will be available in only one type of catalyst and only in a few colors (less than ten if I remember). It may take a 3 months or so for that to happen. BUT IT WILL HAPPEN!

Kryogen,

The powdered coating will have multiple advantages over the solvent based coating. Ease of shipping, storage, usage, and a few other advantages. The powdered version already has the catalyst included in the powder so all you have to measure is the powder and acetone. You will be able to "adjust" the mix a little easier.

Gateway,
The "powder" is not powder coating per say, but is in fact 100% version of the solvent based systems, with solvents removed.
Aside from the products being a powder, that is the only similarity to the normal Powder coatings available from various outlets.
Calling them Powder coatings is really not correct description as product is a powder for use in solvents after mixing.
The Powdered resin version already contains all the ingredients to allow user simply to mix powder with Acetone, mix and start coating.
Any plus or minus variations will not be a problem, as the ingredients will remain in correct ratio when taking out quantity needed to make coating mixtures.
Eliminates need for accurate measurements.
The need was for eliminating the flammable aspects, to make the product more friendly with freight, and there is no added costs for all the DG surcharges being imposed by various transport & shipping companies.
We have been testing the powder locally, with small batches being manufacture to see how it behaves.
So far, all is well, and products perform identically to the solvent based systems.

We have plans to have powders with Extreme capabilities as achieved with the Extreme, 2-Extreme and 3-Extreme catalysts, but these projects are not far away with small batch trials.

Ramping up production is on the agenda, but may be at least 3-5 months away.

As product is also dry, stability should be similar if not better that liquid versions.
Unfortunately, some colours will not be available as the ingredients do not allow them to be made into a powder and remain sticky and difficult to handle and measure.

HI-TEK
02-11-2014, 04:00 AM
and how do you apply it?

Simply scoop out about 1 level tablespoonful 10-12 grams,( approx1/2 Oz) into about 4 Oz Acetone 100 Mls.
Mix, and start coating, (same way as solvent based systems),, dry well, and then bake at 200C for 10-12 minutes and will depend on colour and oven type..

kryogen
02-11-2014, 08:22 AM
great stuff coming.

Will definitely try it when it's available.

crawfobj
02-11-2014, 10:00 AM
I like the sound of that. Will definitely try it when it's available.

Moonman
02-11-2014, 10:19 AM
Hi-Tek,

Thanks for the clarifying information

I will be looking forward to the new and exciting products.

MOONMAN

Gateway Bullets
02-11-2014, 12:23 PM
Hi-Tek.... I think you misread my post. I didnt state it was powder coating.... I said it was powderED coating. But either way, I cant wait to get my supply!!!

For those who did not see my other post. Here is a pic of the POWDERED version of the coating. 9648796488

HI-TEK
02-11-2014, 06:31 PM
Hi-Tek.... I think you misread my post. I didnt state it was powder coating.... I said it was powderED coating. But either way, I cant wait to get my supply!!!

For those who did not see my other post. Here is a pic of the POWDERED version of the coating. 9648796488

Apology, I stand corrected.

I was a little concerned, that the powdered coating system, can be confused as being "powder Coating".
I just wanted to make it very clear from the very beginning, that the material we are making is not designed for normal powder coating end use, and, our system needs to be applied after mixing with Acetone and not applied as electrostatic spray like with other powder coatings..
Hope that all is OK.

btroj
02-11-2014, 06:44 PM
This is a huge advance in my mind.

No more settling of the color. No need to measure some many liquids. Simply measure powder, add acetone, and shake. How simple!

Thanks for making a good product even better Hi-Tek.

I look forward in the coming months to seeing this reach the US.

dverna
02-11-2014, 11:03 PM
Really exciting stuff Hi-tek!!! Very well done.

I like not only the simplicity, but the advantages of longer shelf life. Some of us have years worth of components stockpiled. A powdered Hi-Tek should allow longer shelf life under normal storage conditions.

Frankly, I do not care what the colors are but I understand it is a factor for many users.

Again, a significant development.

Don Verna

PS: I may have to buy an oven once this hits the US market. I am converting from .45 ACP to .40 S&W and coated bullets may yet be in my future - LOL.