PDA

View Full Version : Jay Leno

Echo
02-07-2014, 01:44 PM
Who all watched Jay's last show, last night? It was great! Guests included Oprah, Carole Burnett (who gave her Tarzan yell!), Jack Black, and I can't remember the other luminaries. Garth Brooks played "I Have Friends In Low Places', and it was really a memorable event - I say that, tho CRS re the other folks who were there - Oh yeah - Billy Crystal - I should have recorded it...

felix
02-07-2014, 01:53 PM
Who knows, he might be back. And, again! That man has amazing energy and stamina with little or no interference with vindictive pride! A true "at your service" personality. ... felix

starmac
02-07-2014, 02:03 PM
I watched the last 10 minutes of it, I guess I can say I watched him go out. At one point he pretty much teared up.

obssd1958
02-07-2014, 02:41 PM
I didn't watch it on purpose, but was in the same room when SWMBO watched it.
Wasn't a bad show for a farewell, but I couldn't tell whether the "tearing up" was real, or contrived. I'll freely admit that I could be wrong - but something didn't feel right to me.
Not taking anything away from Jay. Being a car guy, I really enjoy seeing his collection. And most of the time he appears to be one of those few celebrities that are approachable.

starmac
02-07-2014, 03:08 PM
I have only watched a few minutes of his show, just a very few times over the years. I don't remember ever watching a whole show, or even tuning in on purpose. I did know the guy that bought the Harley he auctioned off for the 911 benefit.

DeanWinchester
02-07-2014, 03:11 PM
I love what he said about the network. He said they wanted him to be more like Bob Hope.......dead!
HaHa!!

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-07-2014, 03:17 PM
I watched the whole show, I rarely stay up that late, but wanted to see the show. It was a very good farwell show. And I do think Jay was sincere...I believe it 100%

Except for Billy Crystal, I thought it was a strange group of guests...maybe they are all privately close friends ?

HarryT
02-07-2014, 05:36 PM
I've never met Jay Leno but I have friends that have met him on motorcycle rides and at the Salt Flats and they say he's a great guy. Acts just like one of the gang. I was introduced to Johnny Carson back in 1973 in Omaha, NE. Carson was very unfriendly. Hope to watch a rerun of Jay's farewell some day.

rockrat
02-07-2014, 05:43 PM
I meant to and forgot all about it!!!

Blammer
02-07-2014, 06:04 PM
I heard he had a show, never watched it.

Echo
02-07-2014, 06:07 PM
I believe he is a sincere guy, a regular guy who doesn't have to 'Put On', as my Mom would say - what you see is what you get, as Flip used to say.

snowwolfe
02-07-2014, 09:13 PM
Recorded it and just watched it. Thumbs up and god speed to Jay.

pworley1
02-07-2014, 10:35 PM
I missed Jack Parr, then I missed Johnny Carson, Now I miss Jay Leno. I hope I am around to miss Jimmy Fallon.

hicard
02-07-2014, 10:44 PM
I knew that I wouldn't be able to stay awake to see the show so I thought to record it so that I could watch it this morning. Glad I did. I do believe that he was sincere and I am sorry to see him go. I think NBC has made a big mistake again by letting him go. I used to stay up and watch his show a lot, even thought I had to get up at 2-3AM every morning to go to work. Now that I am retired, it is hard for me to stay awake past 10PM.

Three44s
02-08-2014, 01:35 AM
The only thing wrong with Jay Leno's show:

On at the wrong hour!

I wanted to record his "farewell" but forgot.

The two things I like about Leno is that he never forgot where he came from ........ "us" ............ and he hit all Pols equally!

I can't think of any two better qualities in a comedian than that ...... besides being funny ...... and there is no doubt that Leno IS funny!

I will be surprised if Leno stays home and bakes cookies!

We have NOT seen the last of that man!!

Three 44s

Garyshome
02-08-2014, 02:55 AM
Sorry to see him go just like Johnny. Most likely won'y ever watch Jimmy

AlaskanGuy
02-08-2014, 04:15 AM
I am checking out jimmy as we speak.... I saw jay's last dance, just like I saw johnny's last show... Miss them both... Like the other post, hope i am alive to see jimmys last as well... Figured it out, and I will be 75 ish when jimmy leaves following the current trend...

Echo
02-08-2014, 12:25 PM
Sorry to see him go just like Johnny. Most likely won'y ever watch Jimmy
Well, actually, he didn't go 'Just like Johnny'. Johnny quit, after 30 years - Jay was fired, after 22 years. NBC wants someone younger, to appeal to a younger (18-40) audience, and are getting Jimmy Fallon, who will do a great job. I saw him a couple of weeks ago (on his show) singing duets with Barry Gibb, and they were really good.
But the Suits @NBC messed up with a Capital F in firing Jay...

Echo
02-08-2014, 12:28 PM
I am checking out jimmy as we speak.... I saw jay's last dance, just like I saw johnny's last show... Miss them both... Like the other post, hope i am alive to see jimmys last as well... Figured it out, and I will be 75 ish when jimmy leaves following the current trend...
Criminy, I miss Steve Allen, who was the very first 'Tonight Show' host!

clownbear69
02-08-2014, 12:28 PM
while he is a comic I would like to see him do a mini series (or even a series) on the history channel on unique cars and the history behind them. Half the series would be in his garage

But no didn't see his last show was already in bed

twc1964
02-08-2014, 06:47 PM
From what i hear, there is a very good chance he was fired because of jokes and well deserved ridicule of a certain person in high office. figured that network was in the pocket anyway. what a shame. he will be missed for his ability and his ratings.

jonp
02-12-2014, 12:13 PM
I found it odd that NBC which has the worst ratings among the networks would be so determined to fire the guy with the highest ratings in his slot. Could it be that Leno, who pokes fun at the Administration and is most likely a Conservative, does not fit in with the corporate culture?

gnoahhh
02-12-2014, 05:51 PM
It pleased me to see Carol Burnett tug on her ear lobe as she came on stage. It is her "secret" communication with her late grandmother who raised her. She wanted a way to say "Hi Grandma" the first time she appeared on TV without being blatant. She has done it every time since then, even though grandma is long passed.

L1A1Rocker
02-12-2014, 06:20 PM
It pleased me to see Carol Burnett tug on her ear lobe as she came on stage. It is her "secret" communication with her late grandmother who raised her. She wanted a way to say "Hi Grandma" the first time she appeared on TV without being blatant. She has done it every time since then, even though grandma is long passed.

I never knew that.

HarryT
02-12-2014, 07:27 PM
From what I hear, Jay Leno is liberal and his wife is super liberal. He never says one way or the other on TV and I don't think he openly donates money to either party.