PDA

View Full Version : Source for sizing die tubes...

msp2640
02-07-2014, 09:34 AM
Figured this may be the most correct forum to ask this, but does anyone know a source for the plastic tubes that the Lyman sizing dies use to come in? I've looked around quite a bit and the closest thing I can find are the penny tubes that coin collectors use - Thanks Bill

osteodoc08
02-07-2014, 09:51 AM
I use a flip top plastic organizer that you can find a either craft stores, craft section at walmart and you can also find them in the fishing section for lures. I mark off the divisioned areas on the inside of the lid and write what sizer is where for easier sorting, identification, etc.

msp2640
02-07-2014, 10:18 AM
I have that same set up, but am looking to keep the dies in storage tubes as well. Trying to keep the dies separated and keep left over lube off of the other dies and top punches that I keep in them in the separated sections - Thank Bill

Bullshop
02-07-2014, 10:23 AM
MTN 12 gauge double tray ammo box. Trays stack and each holds about 50 each upright in its own tube. Have had one in use for about 15 years. Good investment if you have lots of dies like I do. I have added a third tray to mine.

msp2640
02-07-2014, 11:31 AM
Another good idea, but I have only 20 or so dies, about 6-7 are in the Lyman tubes, the rest are loose, but all are stored in a good size Plano box by caliber and have the top punches and the 450 sizer wrenches stored in there as well - Looking to pick up 2 dozen or so, tubes to store the rest of the dies and have a few spares for the future or replace broken ones along the way - Thanks Bill

Guesser
02-07-2014, 11:52 AM
I use pill bottles, the small plastic ones. I label each one in as large digits as will fit and then store laying in sequential order in a storage container that holds all my dies, top punches, loob and gas checks, all compartmentalized.

Bullshop
02-07-2014, 11:52 AM
MTN makes smaller size boxes I just needed the large one. They are tough and very durable boxes and as I said mine has been in use for about 15 years and shows no sign of giving up. I have quite a bit of weight in it with two trays about full and one partial.

Hawkeye45
02-07-2014, 12:46 PM
I am still using a plastic tube assortment I got from Brownells many years ago. Clear tubes, black plastic caps and are 24 inches long, so cut to your size. I use the smaller ones for scope tube screw taps and drills. Worth every penny to have around.

Mr. Ed

quack1
02-07-2014, 01:15 PM
The plastic containers that test strips for blood sugar meters come in fit sizing dies like they were made for them. Sturdy plastic with an attached snap cap. I just use a marker and write the die dimension on the lid. When I worked, I asked around and in about six months had a lifetime supply.

msp2640
02-07-2014, 01:35 PM
Hawkeye45 and quack1 - thanks for the leads, give me a direction to search. I was also given a tip from a LEO buddy, who said maybe an unused, cut down syringe container may work, he wasn't sure of the tube diameter, but it may be an option - Thanks Bill

DLCTEX
02-07-2014, 01:37 PM
I store mine in prescription bottles. There's room for the nose punch also. The ones I have have a raised portion at the neck of the bottle that makes a push fit for the O ring. I insert them top down allowing the die to slide out to the O ring leaving room to grasp the die body and pull it out.

wlc
02-07-2014, 01:44 PM
I don't know if it would work, but have you tried calling Lyman and asking to buy some tubes??

nvbirdman
02-07-2014, 02:04 PM
How many do you need? I can send you some of the diabetic test strip tubes and if you like them just reimburse me the postage, if you don't like them, just throw them away.

bhn22
02-07-2014, 02:07 PM
Try tool suppliers. They have plastic tube in many sizes to store things like drill bits, reamers, and so on. I googled "plastic storage tubes", and got a zillion hits.

geargnasher
02-07-2014, 03:21 PM
As was said, small prescription bottles. Sharpie the size on the cap.

Gear

lesharris
02-07-2014, 10:58 PM
Prescription bottles are free and work well for my needs.
Les.

zuke
02-08-2014, 12:45 AM
The plastic containers that test strips for blood sugar meters come in fit sizing dies like they were made for them. Sturdy plastic with an attached snap cap. I just use a marker and write the die dimension on the lid. When I worked, I asked around and in about six months had a lifetime supply.

My thought's exactly, I go thru them also.

alamogunr
02-08-2014, 12:48 AM
I'm another one that uses prescription bottles. I don't store my nose punches with the dies since I sometimes have more than one mold per size die.

For the push thru Lee sizers, I made a rack to hold them similar to one that Ben pictured awhile back. I did the same for the few "M" dies I have.