PDA

View Full Version : Find your boolits?

nvbirdman
02-06-2014, 11:59 PM
Some of the places I shoot, I am the only one that goes there so when I find a boolit in the berm it is almost certainly one of mine.
I get the biggest kick out of finding a boolit that I have cast, sized, loaded, and shot and now I can melt it down and do it all over again.
Do any of you find boolits that you know you have cast?

tomme boy
02-07-2014, 12:07 AM
All the time.

Whiterabbit
02-07-2014, 12:07 AM
yes, till they yell at me from the range office that im not supposed to be digging from the berms!

Harter66
02-07-2014, 12:11 AM
I shoot into an 18x24x9 block stuffed w/stacked 4x4s and an 1/8 in plate I get about 90% back.

AlaskanGuy
02-07-2014, 12:17 AM
I shoot mine into a Snow Berm at the range usually.... but after the snow melts, I gleen the range for bullets, and I KNOW my bullets as they are so dang PURTY... [smilie=1: Plus I color my Lube.. he he

Johnch
02-07-2014, 12:20 AM
I get a lot of mine back and other peoples also

At home I have a deflector plate and I mine the sand
At the range I "Help" clean the 50' indoor bullet trap
That is saying I haul 5 gallon buckets of bullet cunks out when I need lead

John

.22-10-45
02-07-2014, 12:31 AM
Best way to check on skidding and/or base erosion.

dubber123
02-07-2014, 12:32 AM
I just shot some lapping boolits into a snow bank at the house, I expect I'll find them in the spring. I usually try to be at the range when the snow melts off, lots of them laying out in the open to be recycled.

AlaskanGuy
02-07-2014, 12:50 AM
Nothing like a good snow berm for getting a great look at your boolits.. I have a Huge bag of them that I keep for reference... and I know the Hardness of the stuff I make, so it is really easy for me to recycle them into the hardness I want to re-cast...

AG

geargnasher
02-07-2014, 01:15 AM
Snow??? Is that the white, fluffy stuff that falls out of the sky in some places? :kidding:

When frozen stuff falls out of the air around here, insurance companies go bankrupt.

Gear

waco
02-07-2014, 01:27 AM
Snow??? Is that the white, fluffy stuff that falls out of the sky in some places? :kidding:

When frozen stuff falls out of the air around here, insurance companies go bankrupt.

Gear

Lolz !

AlaskanGuy
02-07-2014, 01:30 AM
Awww nasher, what are we gunna do with ya....

Echo
02-07-2014, 12:25 PM

Gear
I was on a job in McAllen once, in January, and it snowed! People were outside, sticking their tongues out to catch flakes before they hit the ground and melted - none stuck, but it was a rare event...

TheGrimReaper
02-07-2014, 02:49 PM
Yea, I do on occasion and I get excited waiting to get it home and cleaned up to see what it looks like and the lands and grooves and deformation, etc...

GOPHER SLAYER
02-07-2014, 03:00 PM
Never, don't bother to look.

fredj338
02-07-2014, 03:28 PM
Yes we are ultimately green, recycling our bullets & cases, pulling all that nasty lead out of the ground so a Condor doesn't eat it.

shredder
02-07-2014, 04:50 PM
I get lots back too. I often have the range to myself so a little digging in the freshest hits to the berm usually produces lots of results. I have a collection of snowbank boolits as well.

Now there is something to think about! Enough snow to make dense piles many feet high that actually stop boolits and leave them looking pristine. This happens in my area when the snow has been around long enough to get really compacted, usually blown by wind into hard drifts. My local range is in a coulee bottom that runs east-west so it is in an ideal place to collect such drifts in the west winds we have. I don't see it every year but when they do happen I get out there for a few shoots even if it is really really cold!!

I learned a thing or two about my boolits by recovery as well. Snowbank boolits will show you the details of the fit to your rifle's bore, any skidding entering the rifling, and weather or not your "bore rider" is staying straight or engraving unevenly and causing erratic accuracy. Things like that are pretty easy to spot. I never worry if the gas check is still on or not, or whether the lube stayed on or not. I am more concerned with how they shoot at the bullseye and how they expanded.

Fritz D
02-07-2014, 05:34 PM
I have also been using snow to catch bullets (and boolits) for years. I'm able to shoot on my own property so I make a snow "backstop" every winter. In spring you can just pick them up off the ground. As Shredder says, many of them are pristine. I'm always amazed that many boolits still have all their lube grooves full.

CastingFool
02-07-2014, 05:52 PM
I have recovered a few. I have a large woodpile that's most rotting away. I have shot into it, so has my nephew (last time he shot something like 200 22LR into it) I picked up most of the brass, but once in a while I go mining for lead, and it's always a delight finding some lead.

Wolfer
02-07-2014, 06:45 PM
When shooting here at home I shoot into half barrels of sand. When I get low on lead I siene the barrels.
Every boolit I shoot has been shot several times already.

btroj
02-07-2014, 07:00 PM

Gear

Come on up to Nebraska, we will teach you all about snow. And cold weather this year. Did you know that temperatures can go below zero F?

whisler
02-07-2014, 09:49 PM
Did you know that temperatures can go below zero F?

Oh yeah, even here in KY, several time this year.