PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl to computer.

Rooster
02-06-2014, 10:36 PM
I'd like to transfer my music to the computer. I'm clueless on what equipment, software, etc. that I will need to get the job done. My cd's go into Win Media Player and it organizes them in an adjustable format, which I like. Is there anyway to chop up the albums into song segments after the transfer in order to put them in the spreadsheet/software or am I going to have to manually do that at the front end? Do you have any sites to recommend?

Looking for sound advice (get it?) on a cast boolit forum shows just how clueless I truly must be. Thanks!

williamwaco
02-06-2014, 10:44 PM
You don't need anything. Your computer will already do it.

You just need to read how to do it with your version of windows.

Or ( I recommend itunes (free ) )

Search for itunes.
It has an import function right on the menu.

The Windows equivalent is "Media Center" but not all windows computers have it.

David2011
02-06-2014, 11:37 PM
Windows Media Center is a free download from Microsoft.com. To put CDs on the computer I used to use the free version of Musicmatch Jukebox to make CDs into MP3 files. They were automatically ripped into individual songs with the standard 2 second break between songs. Before a nasty hurricane destroyed my boat and most of the upper Gulf Coast I would put about a dozen albums in MP3 format onto a single CD. I put an MP3 compatible automotive stereo in the cabin and it would play about 10 hours without changing or repeating. It beat the heck out of having to ask someone to go below and change CDs every 45 minutes.

To put vinyl onto a computer you need a USB turntable. They come with the required software and there are many models available for under $100. Some are also available in audiophile quality and pricing.

David

Czech_too
02-07-2014, 07:32 AM
I tried using my Dual turntable with some sort of amplifier, I think, and couldn't get anywhere, probably out of ignorance more than anything else. Now I'm using an Ion brand USB turntable and Audacity software(free download). The Ion came with it's own software but I found it hard to use, so I opted for Audacity instead.

Brian

WRideout
02-07-2014, 07:45 AM
If you look around at the big box home electronic stores, you can find the USB turntables yet; before too long they will probably disappear. My kids got me an innovative technology turntable that plugs directly into the computer. It also comes with the Audicity software, which I think is freeware, but not sure. I like it because it does let you record the whole album, then break it up into individual songs. You have to get used to using the setup, and it's a little tedious at times, but I can now listen to my oldies rock in the car. I don't know if I gain or lose geezer points, because I am using modern technology, but to record sixties music. BTW the music from the 80's is not oldies.

Wayne

Garyshome
02-07-2014, 08:31 AM
What you are trying to do is a PITA. I'm a DJ and work with that stuff all the time, although I have never put Lp records in my pc [Yet] Now some sound cards come with recording software [soundblaster] so all you do is connect your turntable and it will make one loooong file with a bunch of songs recorded as 1 track [that was easy, here is where it gets difficult] Check out this link for more info: http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Talk:Splitting_recordings_into_separate_tracks. Be ready for a learning curve [I hate learning curves]. Some software may be free but some may not. PM me if I can be of more help. Gary

Rooster
02-07-2014, 01:58 PM
Yeah, I figured it would be a PITA. Thank you everyone for the help. I'll be checking out all of your suggestions this weekend. Thanks again!

Czech_too
02-07-2014, 02:47 PM
I don't know that I would rate it a PITA, but it is time consuming. On top of that there is the learning curve with the software. That's where my patience, or lack of, comes into play.

I've got a couple of thousand LP's, in addition to reel to reel tapes and 78's that I would like to do. Made a very small dent in the lot so far!

Jim Flinchbaugh
02-07-2014, 06:42 PM
I've done it some old school. Had to install a sound card with a line input.
It is tedious to sit and split each album into separate tracks.
I just recorded each side of the album as one track.
If I recall, I used an old amplifier with a turntable input,
then fed the line out of the amp (tape deck output) to the line in of the computer.
If your computer has a microphone input that set up above will work.
Find something to do while you babysit the operation - bake cookies? :)

Doc Highwall
02-07-2014, 07:11 PM
I thought about doing that with my records and I was thinking that maybe I could use the lift arm between songs to make a break so it would not come out as one track.

dbosman
02-07-2014, 09:01 PM
Audacity is the program, and YouTube is your friend.
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/manual-1.2/tutorials.html

How To Transfer Vinyl Records to Digital using audacity - no usb turntable required!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYGs3VzgWpk

Splitting Recordings into Separate Tracks with Audacity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77K857xD3bU

David2011
02-07-2014, 09:13 PM
I've used Total Recorder to record some concerts that were braodcast on the Internet. The cool thing about that software was that it allowed me to define the ends of each song without adding a 2 second silent break. It WAS tedious, though. I spent a weekend tweaking one 2-1/2 hour concert to get it the way I wanted it. Other software proably has the same ability but I have only used a couple of programs.

David