PDA

View Full Version : Stinkin' dog.

JeffinNZ
02-05-2014, 07:59 PM
So after work Bella and I go for a run at the forest. Either poisoning or shooting has been taking place as there were a few dead bunnies laying around that were pungent. Well, one of us of rolled in some of them and it wasn't ME!

What a drive home it was. Phewwwwy. As my late father would have said "someone's taken the cork out of the scent bottle".

See got in the shower BEFORE I did.

Thank goodness for Sunlight soap and a dog that can be enticed into the shower with treats.

labradigger1
02-05-2014, 08:12 PM
Ha ha, i get that fairly regular w/ my yellow lab. Poor old fella is 14 years old now and has never had hip problems but has developed allergies to his self and constantly digs, scratches and licks his self. He stinks to high heaven most of the time. Been a faithful kid, hunting partner and comrade but i fear i will be digging a hole soon.
Lab

OBIII
02-05-2014, 08:15 PM
So you are saying you neglected to put her custom purple long johns on? No one to blame but yourself.
At least you got her clean.

OB

aspangler
02-05-2014, 09:53 PM
My Lady (mixed up mutt) don't have to be inticed. Start the water, take the collar off, and stand back. She loves the waterbut getting her to go "potty" when it is raining is a big NO-NO. Hate the rain and loves the snow. Go figure.

GL49
02-05-2014, 10:28 PM
Have you ever noticed that a dog always wants to be your best friend when they do something like that?

xs11jack
02-05-2014, 10:47 PM
We used to have a bluetick hound that loved skunks. Getting her home and not gagging from the smell was an ordeal. I threatened to shot her a couple of times.
Ole Jack

Lee
02-06-2014, 12:11 AM
Well, I just buried mine. Mutt. Haven't cried in 15 years. Did then. Mutt mix. Getting feeble, vet said seen it before....2 weeks....2 months.
Worse and worse. Last day wouldn't come in the house. Wife came home, 1/2 hour later she came in. Sat up straight, petted. Laid down snout on paws, looking around. Bad back, I laid down next to her, woke up hours later to a kick from the wife "I think Taras dead" In my arms she rolled over on her side.
DON'T EVER THINK THEY DONT WANT TO BE ALONE WHEN THEY PASS. THEY KNOW!! It's one month later and I still cry............................................... ......

MaryB
02-06-2014, 03:13 AM
Okay now I have tears in my eyes...

facetious
02-06-2014, 05:56 AM
I worked with a guy who told me that his dog found a dead deer to roll in while fishing and had to smell it all the way home. Half way home he all so found out that he tried to eat all the guts when he puck them up in the back of his SUV:groner:

Harter66
02-06-2014, 02:12 PM
Why the hello do I read dog threads.........

Massengale powder to wash the skunk off.

A guy asked me once how to get his lab to go in the water .... wth" take it back its defective".

Its been 9yr since I laid Purdy down next to Unique,I still get the keys wet.

LUBEDUDE
02-06-2014, 02:40 PM
We used to have a bluetick hound that loved skunks. Getting her home and not gagging from the smell was an ordeal. I threatened to shot her a couple of times.
Ole Jack

I had an Alaskan Malamute like that.

When we lived in the country, skunks would come to our backyard a few times a week. My Malamute was not phased at all by the smell.

We bought large 1/2 gal cans of tomato juice by the case.

I finally had to start trapping skunks all over the ranch and shooting them in the traps. That was no fun at all!

w5pv
02-06-2014, 02:53 PM
For evil smells tractor supply makes/sells a product called Natures Way that ends the evil smell from skunks and from the pets wanting to change the way they smell.I have never used it but I know those that have and they say that it is very good.If i was still hunting with dogs I would buy a gallon to keep in the truck or car.

bear67
02-06-2014, 05:18 PM
Some dogs just like to roll in the stink more than others. I have a widow lady lives south of us that has a russel terrier that makes frequent visits to the dog groomers and my stinky stuff too. Since she was a puppy, she would visit me at the barn or shop when her owner let he outside. Always rolling in fresh horse hockey and the really pungent black phallic shaped mushrooms that grow in the edge of the woods. Neighbor would complain, but not blame me.

Then! The dog came over one morning just after a shampoo and grooming and I happened to be draining the rear end of a '37 John Deer H of it's old sulpher smelling 90 wt gear lube. The drain pan was a cut off 55 gallon steel drum and the next thing I knew, "Cammy" was over leg deep in the pan. I pulled her out and rubbed her down with shop rags and let he find her way home. Neighbor said she spent $85 to get her cleaned and they had to almost shave all the hair off. Gear lube may not have smelled as much, but sure is hard to get off.

aspangler
02-06-2014, 05:44 PM
Okay now I have tears in my eyes...
Me too.

mpbarry1
02-07-2014, 12:47 AM
This is something I have had a LOT of practice doing. My shorthair has never seen a skunk that she didn'twant to smell the a$$ of. I have tried every commercial, home remedy, old wives rale and suggested solution there is out there. none are perfect, but here here is the best I've found. (and I do mean i have tried everything!)
1. tie the dog up with two opposite leashes so it can't move side to side.
2. mix a small bottle of Hydrogen peroxide, 4 heaping tablespoons of baking soda, tablespoon of vanilla, and sqeeze dish soap in the mix until you think it will lather up really well. stir until soda is desolved.
3. lather up the dog a little at a time until you have used up all of the solution. do not rinse!
let the dog sit for one hour. the leashes will keep it in place.
4. now rinse. not only will your dog smell much better, it will be blonde.

good luck!

mnkyracer
02-07-2014, 02:22 AM
+1 to mpbarry. Every trapper should know this recipe. Although I've never added the vanilla, but hey, why not?

Harter66
02-07-2014, 12:05 PM
Trust me the Massengale douche powder mix works .I work in a grooming shop as a young teen . 1 spring we must have done 20 skunked dogs.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-07-2014, 12:15 PM
Some dogs just like to roll in the stink more than others...snip
My folks' House, when I was growing up, was on a Lake in central MN (a blessed thing for any youth). One Lab we had, would love to roll on dead fish, there was always something drifting/blowing into our shoreline on the north side of the lake during a summer southern breeze..."Lady" would always find it.

Oh, we would always bury the remains DEEP after cleaning a batch of fish...after the Cats got their fill ;)

monadnock#5
02-07-2014, 04:06 PM
My Lady (mixed up mutt) don't have to be inticed. Start the water, take the collar off, and stand back. She loves the waterbut getting her to go "potty" when it is raining is a big NO-NO. Hate the rain and loves the snow. Go figure.

Years ago, I looked out the window one day to see my wife wearing a raincoat and holding up an umbrella while walking the dog. When they came in I had to ask why my wife felt she needed both items. Sensing that I might go into rude and sarcastic mode with her next utterence, she informed me on no uncertain terms that the umbrella was for the dog. "She gets distracted when she's being pelted with raindrops, and won't do her business!"
So if you see me wearing a raincoat and holding an umbrella while walking the dog in the rain, you will know that I took well to my training.