PDA

View Full Version : Boolit Casting Process Improved

38 Super Auto
12-12-2007, 12:25 PM
I have been casting for years, but I have picked up alot from the Cast Boolit collective. I wanted to say thanks and detail what I have done to tweek my results:

1) Lap and improve venting lines on Lee 6-cav molds - together with the use of graphite mold release, this has eased bullet drop and improved fill.

2) Installation of flathead screw on aluminum face where sprue plate lever contacts mold on Lee 6-cav - this hasn't affected quality, but should give me improved mold life. I drilled and tapped a #8 flathead machine screw

3) Creating ingots for several different alloys - general purpose and high velocity - this has improved by bullet weight uniformity when I cast large quantities. It eliminates the need to alloy in the leadpot and allows much quicker recharge times. Also for 45ACP and other lower velocity loads, I am using a higher lead alloy (less antimony).

4) Muffin tin ingot molds - I have found the non-stick coatings work better for me, when I am smelting down a batch - I think three 12 ingot molds is about right - the first is totally solidified by the time I have filled #3. I don't know if the coating will hold up over time, but they show no wear after 6 uses. The ingots produced are a good size to drop into the pot.

4) Sprueplate cooling sponge - I saw this first on Goatlips casting site. This has dramatically improved my throughput. About 3 sec after the sprue has solidified, I place the mold sprueplate down on wet sponge for 2 sec. When I cut the sprue, It is a nice clean cut. I can run my pot very hot using this trick. That allows me to run the pot all out - gives me great fill and recovers quicker after ingot refill. This increased my throughtput by 50% and I am getting great looking boolits.

I am always looking for more improvements. :drinks:

Shiloh
12-12-2007, 01:04 PM
I re-cut the lower vent lines on a Lyman 35891 that I purchased used. Made for a complete
fill-out on the front band.

Lee molds often cast better with some minor clean up.

Shiloh :castmine:

VTDW
12-12-2007, 01:16 PM
Good stuff there 38. I will digest this and give it a try.:drinks:

Dave

hotwheelz
12-12-2007, 10:58 PM
[QUOTE=38 Super Auto;256710]
1) Lap and improve venting lines on Lee 6-cav molds - together with the use of graphite mold release, this has eased bullet drop and improved fill.

[QUOTE]

Do you have pics how is this done ????

38 Super Auto
12-14-2007, 03:13 PM
[QUOTE=38 Super Auto;256710]

[QUOTE]

Do you have pics how is this done ????

This where I found it.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=654

VTDW
12-14-2007, 04:48 PM

Do you have a pic of this? I cannot get a mental picture.

2) Installation of flathead screw on aluminum face where sprue plate lever contacts mold on Lee 6-cav - this hasn't affected quality, but should give me improved mold life. I drilled and tapped a #8 flathead machine screw

Thanks,

Dave