PDA

View Full Version : Places to eat Ft Sill/ Lawton Ok

coleman
02-04-2014, 03:56 AM
My stepdaughter is finishing basic up in a few week and going down for her graduation in two weeks and was wondering of some good places to eat, A lot of what I am coming up from the internet search is a lot of places went out of business and trying to plan ahead. I am not looking for high end food, but good cheap places to eat, as the whole family is going down there. I did see Luigi's express had gyro's are these any good?
Thanks
Coleman

PbHurler
02-04-2014, 06:46 AM
Try the Meers Store, all I've ever had there was their Meersburger (purty good!). Occasionally, my wife & I will drive down from Yukon, to eat at Meers'. Interesting place. Oh, have a Meers beer as well to wash things down.

Thank you & your daughter for her service.

The attached link shows the short drive from Ft Sill.

http://www.meersstore.com/

rockrat
02-04-2014, 11:53 AM
Not in Lawton, but if you travel down the H.E Bailey turnpike, stop in Chickasha, at J&W grill, over on Choctaw ave and 5th st. Pretty good onion burgers and fries there.
Can't help you with Lawton, been too many decades since I ate there, but I do remember the burgers over in Meers. Good eatin.

richhodg66
02-04-2014, 01:52 PM
Meers is good as is Luigis. Meers is actually out of town and on Sunday afternoons there's always a long line to get in, but it's a great place.

There are several pretty good breakfast places in Lawton. The two good German restaraunts I knew of both quit business a few years ago.

Lawton really is a dump, no real kind way to put it. I spent a lot of time there over the career since I'm Artillery and my brother and his family still live there. Keep your stuff locked up and I'd stay out of central Lawton after dark (north of Cache Road and between Sheridan and Fort Sill Boulevard). Unbelievable what kind of crime rate a relatively small town in Oklahoma has. Kindof a shame too, as most of Oklahoma I've been in outside of there has the friendliest nicest folks around.

richhodg66
02-04-2014, 02:01 PM
By the way, while you're there, take a drive out through the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge there. The mountains there are beautiful and they have free roaming buffalo herds big prairie dog towns that are cool to see.

GOPHER SLAYER
02-04-2014, 03:11 PM
Coleman, our son graduated from artillery school at Fort Sill in 1998. While we were there he took us to an old trading post out on the prairie that still has all the old fixtures including the wooden wall phone. Some time in the past they turned it into a restaurant and it is a great place to eat. While you are waiting for a table you can feed the prairie dogs and watch the other wild critters. It is an experience you will never forget. The prices are very reasonable. Also take in the museums as well as the old stables. Don't forget the Apache cemetery where Geronimo is buried. One more thing. Late in the day they put on a demonstration of horse drawn cannon. The battery comes onto the parade ground mounted on running horses pulling the old cannon, set up and fire in a minutes time. Actually the only horse carrying a rider is the horse next to the cannon on the left. The other men in the battery our on their own mounts. I almost forgot. When you visit the old stockade, take a picture of the ivory griped silver plated Colt 45 Geronimo surrendered in 1886. I stared at the pistol for a long time wondering what it would bring at auction today. For some stupid reason I didn't think to take a picture. Do all you can of what I have mentioned. You will never regret it. Give your daughter our thanks Along with a hug from all of us. Good luck and God bless.

gsdelong
02-04-2014, 07:26 PM
Plus 1 on Meers a truly unique experience.

richhodg66
02-04-2014, 07:45 PM
There used to be a really good barbecue place down on Lee about where Sheridan runs into it. Can't remember the name but it was owned and operated by a family from down south somewhere. Kind of a hole in the wall, but the food was good. I'll see if I can dig up the name of the place.

This is the place with a little history about it.

http://www.johnandcooksrealpitbbq.com/about.html

coleman
02-04-2014, 07:55 PM
Thanks for all the info on places to eat and things to see. I will let her know about the support form the castboolits forum.
Thanks again
Coleman

archmaker
02-04-2014, 11:21 PM
John and Cook is good bbq, most locals refer to it as "John E Cooks". Fully agree that Lawton isn't what it used to be (I graduated from Cameron, and worked at Ft Sill in the early 90's). Folks live about 25 minutes away and rarely make it into Lawton. All the places I used to eat, it has been too long since I have been in the town i would not recommend any. Let me reach out to my folks, my Mom is still in Banking, and you know bankers they know the better places to eat out. it is to late to call them but i will post tomorrow.

DLCTEX
02-05-2014, 02:26 AM
The only place I ate in Lawton was the mess hall on post. Can't reccomend it. That was 1967, but I'll bet it's still open. Any time I got a pass I didn't stop until I got to Texas.

TheDoctor
02-05-2014, 08:46 AM
Used to be a place on called Sophies, ran by an old greek woman, had some of the best gyros you would find. Mid 90's, real close to there, was a place called Ivan P's, wasn't fancy, but had the best burgers I've had anywhere in the world, bit its gone now... While on post, be sure to go see Medicine Bluff. Check out Geronimos grave, buried at the corner of the MP station. On Cache Blvd, there was a place called Mr. Z's, german type food. I remember really liking it, but that was before I went to germany, so I cannot attest to if its authentic. Meers is ok, but definately not what it was 20 years ago. Get your pic taken by Atomic Annie.

richhodg66
02-05-2014, 09:56 AM
The Cannon Walk is neat to see. There's only three of those Atomic Annies in existence anymore, the one at Sill, one at Aberdeen Proving Grounds and there's one on a bluff just outside Fort Riley which is in sad shape now unfortunately.

Tn Jim
02-08-2014, 02:05 AM
I was stationed at Sill in the mid 80's and really liked Lawton and the surrounding area. I really hate to hear it has become a dump.:sad:

gmsharps
02-08-2014, 04:06 AM
Unless it has changed the Meers restaurant had hamburgrs that would basically feed 4 people. A unique turn of the centrury (1900) town with at one time recently a population of 2. Great burgers and fries and good secenry getting there.

gmsharps