PDA

View Full Version : would you help a fellow member keep his rifle.

300savage
02-04-2014, 12:43 AM
Gentlemen, and ladies if you would hear me out.
greenmtnranger has had a project rifle he built and obviously cares a great deal for up for sale here.
his story rings true to me and it has become obvious to me that he must be in a bit of a pickle, so he is forced to sell this project he has spent too many hours of love building to ever get what it is worth to him out of it.
i suggested he just keep it and put up a little money towards that end. a few others have chipped in, including our own winged foot daniel which really impressed me that he is already trying to uphold the standards of generosity that you all have shown him even though he is still struggling to get on his foot..
"dam a person can get some mileage out of anothers mishap cant they? "
just thought i would toss this out there to you all and see what happens with it.
i would like to see him get at least what he is asking for his rifle, and we are about a third of the way there.
thanks for listening folks.
craig.

OeldeWolf
02-04-2014, 06:33 AM
How do we get funds to you for this?

300savage
02-04-2014, 08:35 AM
if you would pm me i have his address and paypal account number and will share it so you can send directly.
for the most part you all are a good bunch.
and i never thought i would say this about a dam internet site but it makes me proud to know ya.

Gar
02-04-2014, 09:21 AM
Craig, would you PM me with greenmtnranger information also.

rockrat
02-04-2014, 11:50 AM
PM me too

crazy mark
02-04-2014, 12:08 PM
PM me also. Thanks.

Bloodman14
02-04-2014, 01:04 PM
Count me in, too.

300savage
02-04-2014, 02:02 PM
rockrat ur mailbox is full.

and folks if you would not mind letting me know the amount you are sending so i know where we are at.
i would like to buy him his rifle, not a new car..

and to those who have pm'd me privately, thanks there are some classy folks here.

Charlie Two Tracks
02-04-2014, 02:10 PM
Sent it over his way. Just let you know what it was

300savage
02-05-2014, 05:29 PM
just wanted to say thanks, didnt realize what i had started.
i can understand why some of you just give anonymously.
i hope that grnmtnrngr is able to enjoy his rifle for many more years.
you guys impress me.

DLCTEX
02-05-2014, 08:02 PM
Is it paid for or do you still need help on this one? If so, PM me.

OBIII
02-05-2014, 08:13 PM
Same for me Craig. If you are short, pm me his info and I will send some also.

OB

WallyM3
02-05-2014, 08:15 PM
PM sent.

rockrat
02-05-2014, 11:37 PM
300sav, please try again. Been getting PM's today.

shooterbob
02-06-2014, 12:16 AM
I'm new to the site but from what I see, its a great group of guys. Count me in. Pm sent

300savage
02-06-2014, 01:10 AM
now that is about as good as a first post can get, your going to be worth knowing.
thanks

Ajax
02-06-2014, 06:48 AM
pm sent

Andy

300savage
02-06-2014, 01:36 PM
folks l am waiting on an update from grnmtnrngr today to see what has come in to him so far. i have an idea but not exact as some members havent informed me of the amount they have sent.
i suggest we give it a couple days rest to allow for snail mail and i can give you all a better reckoning at that point, sound good ?

300savage
02-06-2014, 01:38 PM
oh, and ajax i just noticed your tree needs an s.

300savage
02-07-2014, 02:57 PM
folks greenmtnranger contacted me last night and said that so far he had recieved $220.00 from paypal but he had been away working so had not been able to check his mail yet.
i have a feeling we are getting close to what i had in mind as a target which is the price he had put on the rifle.
so in essence we would buy his rifle from him, for him.
i just want to say to the lot of you from me that you make me proud just to know you.
i also am coming to appreciate grnmtnrngr's character immensely, and i am sure you all are going to be hearing from him.

after he gives me a new total i may be contacting some of you who inquired about helping if still needed to reach our goal.
and if i dont please send me another pm because frankly the responses i have gotten so far have been a tad overwhelming..

i wish i could post everyones names, especially those that have given anonymously, some of what you have written to me and being willing to help even though times are tough for you as well,, well i dam sure aint going to sniffle like a girl about it but my chest has gotten a little tight at times.

i have realized this aint about no rifle.

msp2640
02-07-2014, 03:21 PM
300 Savage, first thanks for organizing the drive to help him keep that well made BP rifle, secondly could you PM me his pp info? Wouldn't mind sending him a bit extra, to cover the cost of a beer, cup of coffee, or to help pay for some BP supplies (gotta shoot it if you keep it)- Thanks Bill in MA

1989toddm
02-08-2014, 01:43 AM
I'm new to the site but from what I see, its a great group of guys. Count me in. Pm sent

Precisely what I am seeing. Very impressed with the attitude of you all.

scarry scarney
02-08-2014, 02:01 AM
Ok, somebody PM the info to me as well! I'm in.

greenmntranger
02-09-2014, 11:17 AM
I have stayed away from this tread out of concern that I would be seen as self promoting. When 300Savage posted in the original WTS tread and contacted me with a PM, I was speechless. Never in my life could I imagine that the community that is Cast Boolits was so giving. Don't miss understand, I have seen fund drives and auctions here and on other forums for members experiencing hadr times in the form of heath scares and surgery, long term unemployment, and personal catastrophes, but I have never seen a board come together just so a member can keep his rifle.
A little back story to this rifle:

Many years ago, My single mother, in an effort to bond with a boy hell bent to spend as much time a he could in the woods of Vermont, gave me for Christmas a CVA Big Bore Mountain Rifle Kit in .58 Cal.
I held onto it for 5 years, wanting to build it but not having the skill. When the "opportunity" came to acquire a 8mm m98 mauser at a local gun shop ( I had to throw in 2 Stevens single shot breakdown .22) I jumped at the chance. With the acknowledged inexperience of youth and hind sight I understand just how foolish I was.
I have spent the past few years wanting to get back that Mountain rifle with the hope to take it moose hunting if I ever pull another moose tag in VT but every time one became available, the timing was off. Then last year a basket case fell into my lap at a local gun show and the rest of the story is told in the WTS thread.
I still cant get my head around the generosity of this group. I want to thank all who have donated. Most of you who have donated thru PP did so w/o including your screen name so I cant thank you directly, but to say the least, I am honored and deeply touched to be a member of this community.
May God bless and watch over every last one of you guys and your families

If ANY member of the board makes it to my stompin grounds, the beer is on me

Greenmntranger

300savage
02-11-2014, 03:11 PM
hello folks
gave it a few days for the pony express to arrive, and it looks like i am
the only one to send in an envelope,, behind the times..

so, still about $125.00 short in my books, i said i would let you all know so consider yourself known..

thanks craig

300savage
02-12-2014, 07:31 PM
Gentlemen we are almost there !
according to my best calculations it stands at about $375 raised towards the $400 i told him i would try to help him get, which was his lowered asking price.
if there is anyone who asked for the information to make a donation that i have failed to reply to i apologize and if you would let me know again i will send it . or if anyone else would still care to pitch in with a few dollars just send me a pm.

thanks so much, its been all worth it for me at least just to get to see what kind of folks so many of you are.
and i am so happy for this gentleman who is going to be able to keep his rifle, and what a story it has behind it now.
instant heirloom status i believe and all thanks to the great people on this place.

sincerely, craig

scarry scarney
02-13-2014, 12:17 AM
As they used to say on the TV show "shooting USA," share your sport.

greenmntranger
02-13-2014, 09:52 AM
Um on the road running a 4 state delivery loop in this nor'easter, but I wanted to take a moment to say thank you all for this incredibly generous act. By my calculations, the 400.00 mark was reached las night.

GMR

Charlie Two Tracks
02-13-2014, 05:33 PM
If you get a chance sometime, see if you can put up a picture of that new rifle you bought.

greenmntranger
02-14-2014, 08:45 PM
If you get a chance sometime, see if you can put up a picture of that new rifle you bought.

here ya go Charlie

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?229311-Bringing-it-back-58-Cal-CVA-Mnt-Rifle-Bottom-Price