PDA

View Full Version : Camaraderie and Loyalty From Cast boolits Members.... and, I'M BACK

BruceB
02-03-2014, 09:58 PM
This tale has its roots on the old "Shooters" internet board of years ago.

When that board dissolved, a number of bullet casters were left searching for an Internet "home" which we finally found in March of 2005, when 45 Nut, Ken, took it upon himself to create this Cast Boolits site which we all know so well, and appreciate so much.

Following a series of severe medical occurrences, including cancers, strokes, heart failure and amputations, my personal outlook is not very rosy.

After seeing me through these medical tribulations over a period of more than six years with great devotion, my wife of 47 years has now opted for divorce, meaning I had to find a new place to live. My new residence is a two-bedroom apartment in Reno NV, where just today my daughter Kimberley has gotten me set up and back on-line.

The whole point of my thread here, is this:

Since Year 2000, we have held an annual Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot.... all except the first Shoot being held in my (then) hometown of Winnemucca, and all under the loose umbrella of Cast Boolits.

When word went out out of my upcoming move to Reno, and my new "status" as a handicapped citizen (I can't walk, having lost my left leg) , there were MANY volunteers to help me make the move. After a lot of planning, the date was set for January 25 2014.

Several folks arrived a day or two in advance of the appointed time. On January 25, a MOB of Cast Boolit members descended on the former homesite to assist in the task. They came from several different States, at considerable cost in both money and personal time, from as far away as southern California and northern Idaho. One was even just-returned from CHINA.) By the end of that day, my worldly effects (not much to show for 47 years) were installed in my new digs in Reno.

At breakfast with the whole group on the 25th, I said that I was honored and humbled by the support and friendship put forth by this group of wonderful people. I'm still unsure of just why I merited such a display, but I'm VERY grateful indeed.

All these helpful amigos are "veterans" of the annual NCBS. We have all met many times and had fine opportunities to expand our friendships over the years. There was a grand total of SIX members at the first NCBS in 2000.... FOUR of the six were involved in my move in 2014! Does this not speak well for the durability and longevity of the friendships formed in our hobby?

It's not much fun, living alone and being responsible for everything. However, I'm settling in and getting used to it. Sure would help enormously if I could drive, but right now I cannot, and so I'm dependent on the charity and WILLINGNESS of others....namely, those of my friend Bill Lose (NVCurmudgeon). He has done FAR more than I can ever hope to repay.... maybe, someday, a suitable chance to do so will present itself, but until then, all I can say is .....muchas gracias, amigo.

Stonecrusher
02-03-2014, 10:40 PM
Speaks well of people on this board. There are good people left in the world today. Best wishes for your future. And, welcome back. I've always enjoyed reading your posts.

btroj
02-03-2014, 10:46 PM
Good people here. Lots of em.

Welcome back Bruce. Hope life is treating you well.

RayinNH
02-03-2014, 11:30 PM
Good luck to you Bruce. It sounds like you have been through plenty. I hope life treats you more kindly...Ray

armexman
02-03-2014, 11:34 PM
MR. BruceB,
Bienvenido again and good luck with that monster D.
please keep on sharing your knowledge with us young ones;) 53YO and still learning from you sages of the cast lore.
Welcome back and pray you keep on having casting angels.

BNE
02-03-2014, 11:36 PM
Hope you can get some trigger time soon. It always helps.

fatnhappy
02-04-2014, 12:14 AM
Good to have you back Bruce. The member's here are a cut above.

Artful
02-04-2014, 12:33 AM
Welcome back to cyberworld - we missed ya. Glad the move went well.

GLL
02-04-2014, 12:46 AM
Welcome Home ! :)

Jerry

429421Cowboy
02-04-2014, 01:14 AM
Good to see you back after all that!

waksupi
02-04-2014, 01:39 AM
Good to see you back!

Bzcraig
02-04-2014, 01:43 AM
Welcome back Bruce! You know what makes this site and it's members different? Nobody does what they do with nary a thought of getting paid back. It's done from the good in their heart and just cause it's the right thing to do. I have learned much from the wisdom you have shared here and will be looking for more in the very near future!

BruceB
02-04-2014, 02:35 AM
Gentlemen, thanks for the 'welcome home'.

I have here, still in pieces in its box, a five-foot Harbor Freight workbench which is fated to become my new loading bench. I saw one which had been assembled and put on display in their Reno store, and it was not only very impressive "in-the-flesh", but over 100 customer reviews on their website were very enthusiastic.

It comes with four large felt-lined drawers, a woodworker's vise, and a well-finished oak top which is two inches thick. It also feels very sturdy indeed, and for well under $200 it seems to be a screaming bargain. I reckon we'll see....

I figure that the actual loading can be done here, but casting will be done in Curmudgeon's garage, where the "management" is a bit more understanding.

He and I will be taking the shooting re-qualification for our Nevada carry permits on February 9th, and we'll be heading for the range for a bit of advance practice in the next few days. ANY revolver may be fired for the revolver re-qual, but autoloaders are type-specific. I will fire at least my SIG 220, and might also shoot a 1911.

We might be a bit geriatric, but by gum. we'll be the meanest ol' SOBs in the valley!

Dean D.
02-04-2014, 02:45 AM
I'm glad to hear your move went well and your back with us Bruce. As a relative newcomer, I've always felt this site has some first rate people as members. Your story confirms it. Take care and enjoy your range time!

Ramar
02-04-2014, 06:09 AM
Welcome back! One day at a time and and a lot of things to plan and look forward to can keep you going forever. There's always another load to work on.
Ramar

sav300
02-04-2014, 06:14 AM
Welcome back Bruce

square butte
02-04-2014, 07:39 AM
Welcome back Sir.

Wayne Smith
02-04-2014, 08:52 AM
Welcome back, Bruce. Look at it this way, to keep from becoming victims, the more handicapped we become the more dangerous we need to be!

LIMPINGJ
02-04-2014, 11:27 AM
It's great to see you back.

contender1
02-04-2014, 11:30 AM
Well, all this is new "news" to me. But what is not, is the overall generous nature of serious gun owners. Gun owners who truly delve into the hobby, be it casters, collectors, competitors etc. are for the most part the best folks in the world. I frequent a few forums. All gun related. It never ceases to amaze me how good the folks are.
And today, I read this.
Bruce, I don't know you, nor can I recall any of your posts. But from what is shown, you are a great guy who others care for & I'm sure you'd do the same for any of them.
While you may have lost one part of your family, you have never lost a bigger family. Gun folks.
I'll simply say I'm happy to be part of such a GOOD bunch of folks.
I know you are.

Echo
02-04-2014, 12:21 PM
Welcome back, Bruce. Although we have never met, we are family. You say that you were honored by the actions of family members that assisted your move. Those guys were honored to be there, and be able to help their kin.

blackthorn
02-04-2014, 01:01 PM
Welcome back! Congratulations on a successful move. Things can only get better from here.

Bullshop Junior
02-04-2014, 01:06 PM
I hadnt heard of any of this before this time. i thought I was going through a tough time, but nothing compaired to this.

All I can say is welcome back, and if you ever need any help that I can offee from Texas let me know.

John Allen
02-04-2014, 01:11 PM
Welcome Back Bruce. I have found no other forum like this one, the quality of people here is great.

BSalty
02-04-2014, 01:23 PM
Welcome back, I am sorry life has been kicking you while you are down. I really enjoy the threads and topics you write. The thread you did on the M1A is what finally got me to sign up here after a long time of just reading.

Then again maybe you regret that. [smilie=b:

quilbilly
02-04-2014, 02:49 PM
Welcome back Bruce. Holly and I hope to see you again soon.

Bullshop
02-04-2014, 02:58 PM
Bruce
I am saddened to hear of your tribulations, it makes my heart sick. Over the years since Shooters we have often agreed and often disagreed but most often I have been on the receiving end of learning and not the giving end.
I don't know where you are spiritually but since reading this post I have prayed that if you don't yet you will come to know and love the Lord as I do.
This life is but a fleeting vapor as it says in the Bible but God has an eternal plan. I pray that the Lord will catch your heart and give you eyes to see and ears to hear his truth and that you will be a part of that plan.
Any time you would like to chat about having faith in the Lord you are welcome to PM me, ANYTIME.

JeffinNZ
02-04-2014, 05:50 PM
I had no idea you had such a run in with your health.

"Following a series of severe medical occurrences, including cancers, strokes, heart failure and amputations, my personal outlook is not very rosy."

How much of you is still original? You could be the Boolits forum's equivalent to Steve Austin!

bhn22
02-04-2014, 06:01 PM
Glad to see you're back Bruce!

Firebricker
02-04-2014, 07:27 PM
Bruce, Glad your back and getting settled in. Going back to living alone is always a hard adjustment to make but it always works out. I've had to make that same adjustment a couple times myself. FB

flyer1
02-04-2014, 08:13 PM
Bruce, I am very sorry for what life has thrown at you. I also went through a divorce. It is difficult. I can assure you it does get better. Many prayers and faith helped me. I still am dealing with some issues but, I now have a wonderful wife, a little girl and a son. It took some time but God had a plan for me and I am sure He has one for you. With Him and the folks here life will get better. I will keep you in my prayers.

RugerFan
02-04-2014, 10:14 PM
Welcome back Bruce! I've always enjoyed your posts and look forward to many more.

Catshooter
02-04-2014, 11:29 PM
Welcome back to us Bruce. I too have learned much from your posts.

I once read that a man can't make it through life without friends. I'd guess you'd agree with that! :)

Cat

xs11jack
02-04-2014, 11:43 PM
Good to see you back, as you know the sum of the parts are greater than the whole. With your wisdom as a part of the whole board we are in deed more than the whole.
Ole Jack

Ajax
02-05-2014, 07:09 AM
WB Bruce. Glad things are working out for you.

Andy

BeeMan
02-05-2014, 08:58 AM
Welcome back Bruce.

As one who learned several things from what you posted here, I want to say thanks for what you have given to us.

BeeMan

osteodoc08
02-05-2014, 11:25 AM
Welcome back. I'm relatively new here, but this is my favorite place to spend time. Lots of sage wisdom available here and not just about cast boolits. Anything in life.

w5pv
02-05-2014, 12:00 PM
Hope you recover from your trials and welcome back.

mold maker
02-05-2014, 12:34 PM
For what ever reason, I too am just now hearing of your problems. Glad to hear the CB members, have once more stepped up and helped.
Hope your new digs are indeed satisfactory and you'll be soon pulling the handle on your new bench.
Welcome back, and glad things are improving for you.

Char-Gar
02-05-2014, 01:01 PM
Bruce..You have made a great contribution to this community with your experience in cast bullet shooting and your wisdom in life. You have been a steady hand and head for a very long time. You have some difficult adjustments to make, but if there is one among us who can do it with grace and style, it is you.

It is good to see your "by line" again and I am looking forward to many more posts by you. Ten cuidado amigo (take care friend).

nekshot
02-05-2014, 01:11 PM
welcome back BruceB, I thought of you often in my prayers after your last post, glad you are settling in.

Wolfer
02-05-2014, 01:17 PM
Glad to see you back. Since you've already been thru the mill I hope things get better in the future. Woody

shdwlkr
02-05-2014, 07:18 PM
Bruce
Done the divorce thing and it takes time to get used to the new world after. I am looking at some issues new to me from a wreck last year and hope it is nothing more than arthritis settling in.

As we age there is only one sure thing and that is only the strong make it to the end of the line of life. Doesn't matter your age when you reach the end of journey as that really isn't what it all about. It is the good times, the sad times, and most of all the challenging times that make us who we are and who we want to be remember as.

Best of luck to you in your new digs, new life and may the road smooth out for you as you travel life's highway

Black Powder Bill
02-07-2014, 06:13 PM
WOW Shooters!! LOL I worked midnights in the boiler control center. Talking it up on Shooters on the MS 3.1 system. My cell phone has more power than that 1st PC had. My only advantage was the corporation's internet address was miss listed as a country and not a .com. I could track, trace & talk on other super computer's around the world long before all that security stuff. I even took a course at Cambridge University. LOL I thought I had joined a chat forum and it was a online course.

I screwed big time with many animal rights groups and even made onto a few officers email list. Nothing like watching the next round of tactics and protest unfold before they happened.