PDA

View Full Version : Ed's Red substitute.

pretzelxx
02-03-2014, 01:46 AM
So I've been looking around trying to find k1 and can't seem to find it anywhere around here. However, I've seen "klean-strip" kerosene substitute for candles and such. I'm wondering if anyone has used or heard of the substitute working as well as or nearly as well as a k1 mix. I've googled, yahood and boolit searched for answers, yet the only thing I've seen is try it yourself. I don't dirty up my weapons as much as I wish to, so a bad batch would probably take me a lifetime to use at my current rate. Amy suggestions?

Outpost75
02-03-2014, 01:51 AM
Jet-A turbine fuel.

pretzelxx
02-03-2014, 02:08 AM
I suppose I could get some jp8 purified...

wlc
02-03-2014, 02:24 AM
You can get it at WM, or at least I can here. In gallon and 5 gallon cans. Its for stuff like the indoor kero heaters. AFAIK its just more refined to take out some of the smell.

uscra112
02-03-2014, 05:12 AM
Buy lamp oil. Unscented preferred. That's right from the master himself.

Moondawg
02-03-2014, 11:36 AM
I can find K-1 Kerosene at the following: Ace Hardware, Walmart, Home Depot and Lowes.

Moondawg
02-03-2014, 11:39 AM
I bought some mineral spirits the other day in order to mix up a new batch of Ed's Red. Instead of being clear, the stuff was white. It looked like it had some kind of chalky stuff in it, or like someone had been soaking a paint brush with white paint in it. What is happening with mineral spirits? Is this something the guvmint or EPA though up to mess it up?

Blacksmith
02-03-2014, 11:52 AM
Pretzelxx where are you located?

Moondawg white mineral spirits , something is wrong take it back and buy your spirits somewhere else.

pretzelxx
02-03-2014, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the input! I'll have to see if I can go locate some soon!

C.F.Plinker
02-03-2014, 12:22 PM
The white mineral spirits are probably the environmentally correct water based spirits. For Ed's Red you need the petroleum based spirits.

Whiterabbit
02-03-2014, 12:32 PM
yup. Don't buy the plastic bottle odorless mineral spirits. It's the milky stuff that doesn't work.

geargnasher
02-03-2014, 12:39 PM
White, milky "mineral spirits" is water-based GARBAGE, no good for ANYTHING. It's water-based and leaves a film that paint and tub/tile sealant won't adhere to, don't ask. Worthless, the companies making it should be sued into bankruptcy for false advertising, right after the entirety of the EPA staff and the CARB is deported to China and their US citizenships revoked.

Kleen-Strip makes a good, true, mineral spirit in a metal gallon can and it's widely available anywhere Americans live. Massachusetts, California, or New York residents may have a tough time, IDK.

K1 Kerosene is available through Ace hardware or craft stores as "lamp oil" as was mentioned. Lamp oil is either red, blue, or yellow, choose your color, it's all the same.

The way things are going, we won't be able to buy toilet paper without a hazmat license and a certificate of VOC compliance for use.

Gear

ETA, if all else fails, use Hoppe's #9 or you can buy Ed's Red from Brownell's.

Whiterabbit
02-03-2014, 12:59 PM
Kleen-Strip makes a good, true, mineral spirit in a metal gallon can and it's widely available anywhere Americans live. Massachusetts, California, or New York residents may have a tough time, IDK.

Funny thing, is we have the true mineral spirits in every home depot. Location? Right next to the plastic-can junk odorless mineral spirits. :)

SciFiJim
02-04-2014, 02:18 AM
Got my K1 at the local Lowes here in CA. It is labeled as heater fuel.

MtGun44
02-04-2014, 02:07 PM
The white water-based "mineral spirits" fooled me once. Never again. It is ONLY useable for
cleaning brushes.

Bill

Dale in Louisiana
02-04-2014, 03:41 PM
Go to your local 'artsy-farsty' store and get a bottle of lamp oil. It's basically purified kerosene. While you're there, you can check for other useful things like beeswax and wax dye so you too can have deeply colorful home-made boolit lube.

Locally, Hobby Lobby has a lof things of interest to us shooters.

dale in Louisiana
(who's in central Mississippi today watching his job rain out)

Whiterabbit
02-04-2014, 03:56 PM
I disagree. I can't clean my nice paint brushes with it at all. had to go buy proper paint thinner.