PDA

View Full Version : my computer just joined the bot net...help

lylejb
02-03-2014, 12:58 AM
About 3 days ago, I started getting about 20 "bounced" email notices a day, for stuff I did not send. All in German language, all to .de or .eu addresses. I don't know anyone with a .eu or .de address.

Anyway, I updated to the latest AVG antivirus, and full scanned. It found nothing.

I updated Malwarebytes and scanned. It found a trojan. It cleaned it, or so it says. I rescanned the next day, and it found nothing, but the notices keep coming.

I installed Super anti spyware and scanned, It found some cookies, but nothing else. The notices keep coming.

I updated and run Spybot S&D, scanned, and found nothing. Also "immunized" but the notices keep coming.

I'm just about resigned to formatting and reloading. I run XP pro with sp3.

Whatever it takes to get this clean is what I need. I do my own taxes on this machine, and in no way do I want to risk sending all my personal info to who knows where.

Thanks in advance for any help.

stephenj
02-03-2014, 01:42 AM
You may have already gotten rid of the trojan ...maybe

But who ever sent you the trojan already had access to your email
Did you change your pass word as well ?
Its likely a good idea to change passwords for every email acount yiu have along with passwords for every site you visit .
Once hacked just getting rid of the trojan doesnt always fix all of your problems ... the hackers already have all of the info the was looking for in the first place.

obssd1958
02-03-2014, 01:48 AM
LB

The problem probably isn't on your PC. It sounds like your e-mail has been hacked.
I had that happen to me just about a year ago. Someone hacked my password for my yahoo mail account, and then used it to send e-mails (SPAM) that looked like they came from me. My first clue was all of the bounced e-mail notices - like you are getting.

Who do you get your e-mail through? Yahoo was hacked again a few days ago, so maybe that's where this is coming from, if they are your provider.

Regardless, you should immediately change your e-mail login password, just as a precaution. If you can't access it - because the hacker changed it - get hold of your provider.

Hope this helps!

Don

MaryB
02-03-2014, 01:58 AM
Before scanning you need to turn off system restore, do the scan, reboot, then turn system restore back on. Otherwise trojans can reinstall themselves from the last system backup.

fryboy
02-03-2014, 08:29 PM
about the only thing i can add to the above is superantispyware 's free version , run it in safe mode and possibly msn's malicious software tool , download it on a safe computer , save on a flash drive and then run it on the questionable machine
i tend to agree with the hacked e-mail aspect the most , after you feel comfortable again be wary of any pop up adds and questionable links etc and never click on a link on facebook

lylejb
02-03-2014, 10:26 PM
Thanks all,

I called my ISP today (small local phone co-op) about noon, and changed my email password.

Tonight, I had only 4 bounced emails, all before noon..........and 1 angry reply (to the spam) from some woman in Germany:shock:

Fingers crossed....