PDA

View Full Version : Henry 38/357 Lever gun

Kimber-45
02-02-2014, 09:58 PM
I have a 38 / 357 Henry Big Boy lever gun and it mis-feeds.
When it tries to lift a new round up to the chamber it cant because the next round in line has traveled too far past the carrier and jams up.
How can the next round be held back?
I suspect the carrier is the problem.

Thanks in advance for you help.

jmort
02-03-2014, 06:56 PM
Unfortunately I can't help you, other than to contact Henry customer service and not mention reloads if that is the problem. If factory ammunition is not a problem, then probably an OAL length issue or bullet profile issue. In one of the recent threads in this forum, a member put black marker on the ammunition to see where it was hanging-up. I don't disagree with your diagnosis.

Ben
02-03-2014, 07:01 PM
Some will behave like you've described if the bullet protruding from the end of the cartridge case is TOO SHORT.

.5mv^2
02-03-2014, 07:01 PM
I have the same gun with the same problem. I have tried several different bullets including J words. All give the same result. It isn't every round. Both 38 and 357's. About once a year I get it out and think, just a little more break in. Nah its the gun.

Ben
02-03-2014, 07:04 PM
Ummm, my be time to head back to the factory.

Those guns cost enough that they should not be doing that.

I have a 1992 Marlin 38 Special that will even feed and function with full 148 gr. 38 Spec. wad cutters.

Kimber-45
02-03-2014, 08:15 PM
I have the same gun with the same problem. I have tried several different bullets including J words. All give the same result. It isn't every round. Both 38 and 357's. About once a year I get it out and think, just a little more break in. Nah its the gun.

At a price of 800 bucks out of pocket and less than 50 rounds through it. It just became Henry's problem.
UPS took it away today on Henry's nickel.
Way to much money for a gun that is going to treat me like that.
If I want that kind of treatment I'll get a hooker.

FergusonTO35
02-03-2014, 08:16 PM
No need to spend time trying to fix it yourself since you just paid serious money for the rifle and its cold outside. The last two new guns I bought had to go back to their respective makers for minor but irritating defects. Contacted the manufacturers by e-mail and received return labels at no cost. I'm sure Henry will make it right, they are really nice folks.

Bo1
02-03-2014, 08:20 PM
Sounds to me like Henry might have some quality control issues..
I agree that for that kind of change, it should work flawlessly..
Bo

Iowa Fox
02-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Don't fight it, Henry has some of the BEST product support in the country. Send them an email with your concerns and they will get back to you pronto tonto. Might even be the owner of the company that you hear from. Henry takes care of their customers. Let us know how you make out.

starmac
02-04-2014, 03:28 AM
No experience with the Henry, but from everything I have ever heard, a phone call lets you talk to the man himself, and he jumps through hoops to make you a happy customer.