PDA

View Full Version : Arizona

starnbar
02-02-2014, 05:56 PM
Does anybody live near Prescott Ariz? By near I mean within 100 miles got a job offer but I have never been in Arizona.

starmac
02-02-2014, 05:59 PM
I don't live there, but have worked a few months at a time several times over the years. If I ever had to relocate to Az, the prescott area would be one of my top choices.

bangerjim
02-02-2014, 10:08 PM
Nice town. Good clim. House prices a bit high compared to where I live. Davidson's right down the street!!!!!!! Just about every store (big box and small), eatery you would ever want.

I have thought of getting a summer property up around that area to escape the desert heat.

banger

canthitsquat
02-02-2014, 11:30 PM
I live about 16 miles south. Not a bad drive.
Still has a small town feel and everything you should need. Everyone at the local swap meet carries, even some of the ladies.
Get away from Prescott itself, and home prices aren't bad.
Weather is pretty good year around. Some snow in winter and rain in summer.

starnbar
02-03-2014, 08:31 AM
I have heard that's a good area and although being retired for a few years a good friend of mine called and told me he has a job for me if I decide to relocate. Florida is getting more like Cali every year if I can get the missus to agree about moving I think the change of scenery would be worth it thanks for the input.

Wag
02-03-2014, 09:32 AM
I grew up in Arizona and I consider it to be my home stompin' grounds.

Prescott is one of the more beautiful areas and is close to Jerome, Cottonwood, Sedona and Flagstaff. They're all spectacular area in my never-to-be-humble opinion and I'd move back there in a heartbeat.

As stated above, the real estate values in Prescott and Prescott Valley are pretty high so get into the more outlying areas to find a place to look around.

--Wag--

Iowa Fox
02-03-2014, 09:36 PM
My Son in Laws brother lives in Prescott and really likes it. He has been there a long time, has a good job, and hunting is good. Talked to him at Christmas, he plans to retire in just a couple more years and is staying there. Not coming back to Iowa for sure.

starmac
02-03-2014, 11:08 PM
Do they still have the fourth of july water gun fights. Some bad water guns come out of that tradition. lol

NewbieDave007
02-03-2014, 11:37 PM
Prescott is my favorite town in AZ, but housing prices and a job can be an issue there. I would love to retire there. Btw, there are three colleges there.

armexman
02-03-2014, 11:39 PM
When you do move to the Prescott area take a day trip to Jerome. Was there (in Phoenix) visiting family and any way you approach this beautiful town is worthy of an internet posting;)
On the east side of Jerome my wife and my cousin-in-law (cousin's wife) were ready to lynch me.
Strange they were more pissed at me not finding parking, so we could have dinner there;)

starmac
02-04-2014, 12:53 AM
And then for an eye opener you can visit arcosanti.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEqPBZ-2Vz8

canthitsquat
02-04-2014, 01:31 AM
Do they still have the fourth of july water gun fights. Some bad water guns come out of that tradition. lol
The fuzz finally put a stop to that tradition.
I still miss the old days when the rowdies were handcuffed to the trees in the square when they ran out of jail space.
They have made it more family friendly. I drive one of my friends old Olivers in the fourth of July parade every year.

starmac
02-04-2014, 01:39 AM
Too bad, there were some good times had in them days.

The water gun fights, made for some pretty good wet tee shirt contest too. lol
Is the swap meet still a big thing at P valley?

Littleton Shot Maker
02-07-2014, 12:13 PM
I like tucson, Mt lemon is nice, WAY WAY back cabins could have been had on the cheap, not now! Nope, most of those burned down and anything there now is new- big- expensive etc.... But I would live there full time if I could.
Side note: i lost my brakes on that road one day, thought me and my brother where going to have to leave my 68 falcon up there in whatever canyon it would have rolled down into and fireballed - got real lucky that day.

second choice would be Prescott Valley- Maybe---
Flagstaff is nice, but way strange, can't put my finger on it but just odd, IF you did not 'grow' up there you will have a hard time with most things flag.
Pinetop- Sholow- nice, WAY too cold for me these days, but Phnx will be mids 60's- today, 70's on the weekend
Payson is cool small, though, high country desert, on the edge of the woods,

Hoping to sell off our stuff- build our get away just south of Concho Lake,
Raw land away from the big town and city can be had, and some with power line on or next to it is not priced so high that it sounds crazy to roll a camper there as you build a structure.

Crank
02-14-2014, 01:35 PM
starnbar,
I lived in Prescott, Prescott Valley and Chino Valley from 1990-2005 (I moved there when I was 22 years old) and I still visit some friends there once or twice a year. Gun laws are very positive, but the enormous volume of people moving there has changed the perception of open carry and use of firearms. Don't get me wrong, it is one of the best things going, but times have changed. There is a difference between some ***hole wanting to look cool and the guy that puts a pistol on everyday just like his underwear, because you would not think to leave the house without it. Housing has increased 4-5 times what it was (in the 90's), everything (gas, food, etc...) is more expensive than the rest of the state, because "they have to truck it in". Prescott is fairly stable and honest, but Prescott Valley is exploding with growth and all of the politicians are in bed with the developers. Chino Valley is okay, but very expensive now because of the larger land plots. I swore I would never see the day that I would leave, but the economy is horrible and after being laid off from Ruger and Pro-Chem, I made a late in life decision and joined the Navy in 2001. I wound up stationed in San Diego and relocated my wife and daughter here in 2005. It was the best decision I ever made, my daughter finally got a great education (if you have school age kids, look into how badly they are rated in AZ.) and has grown into an intelligent and well adjusted woman. My wife needed a bit of adjustment, but finally found numerous opportunities to work in her field and get paid accordingly. I bought a house here and I will admit that it was devilishly expensive, but worth it and would never move back, unless I was retired and did not have to rely on a job for income. I know, the laws stink here, but I realize that the life I led in AZ. was never going to provide for me later in life. It also is a "right to work" state and we called it "right to starve", it keeps wages in the toilet and the most I ever made was $10.50/hr. as a skilled TIG/Plasma Arc weldor in 2001. Do your homework, what that state has to offer may be Utopia compared to where you are, but investigate the whole picture. The best spent money you could ever have would be to take a week's vacation there and don't hit the tourist spots, go drive around, look at the ads in the newspaper and talk to residents of the same age group and ask for their experience. Stop at an employment agency even though you have a job offer, just as a precaution to gauge what is available if the current opportunity goes south. There are some awesome things about AZ. but make sure you know that there are pitfalls that may impact your life in the less obvious ways. That concludes my 2 cents worth.
Best of luck

Mark

marlin39a
02-15-2014, 10:26 AM
I live in Paulden, 35 miles north of Prescott. Been here for 14 yrs. PM me with any questions you have and I'll be glad to help you.