PDA

View Full Version : NASP Archery Tournament

petroid
02-01-2014, 11:56 PM
Hi all,

Just want to brag a bit on my boy. He's nine years old and this is his second year shooting NASP archery. If you don't know, NASP is the National Archery in the Schools Program. It's for 3rd grade through high school and there are elementary, middle school, and high school divisions. Archers use a Genesis compound bow which is adjustable from 10-25lb draw weight with no let-off so draw length is not set. They shoot 15 scored arrows at 10 meters and 15 arrows at 15 meters. Perfect score is 300. Last year his highest score was a 183 with an average in the 150s. His first tournament this year he shot a 207! Alas, it was a practice tournament and didn't count toward his season average. The next tournament he really flubbed it and only scored 127. Not a very good start for his average. Well today he was really on and scored a 239!!! He had six bullseyes and was one of the highest in the elementary division from all competing schools. Needless to say I am one proud papa. I am honestly getting a tear in my eye as I'm typing this because I am so happy for him. As a side note, it was a beautiful day here up to 60 degrees which is unseasonably warm and a very welcome change from the bitter cold. So after a celebratory meal of his favorite homemade fried chicken and mac and cheese I was able to cast up a couple hundred 40 caliber boolits. We all had a great day! Pete

horsesoldier
02-02-2014, 01:05 AM
Awesome!

AlaskanGuy
02-02-2014, 01:17 AM
Wooooo hoooooo dad.... Being a NASP instructor, i KNOW what your talking about... Awesome Job dad and son...

AG

dk17hmr
02-02-2014, 01:26 AM
Haven't heard of NASP but am big into archery. I have shot with some very talented kids when I was shooting 3d comps back in Michigan. Keep him at it.

Got-R-Did
02-02-2014, 02:52 AM
A good friend and fellow club member's Son participates in Todd County, KY. I think he did quite well for his class; this is his first year. I absolutely love the concept of this program and likewise happy to hear that participation is growing.
Got-R-Did.

petroid
02-04-2014, 06:28 PM
Thanks for all the support. I showed my son this thread and he grinned and blushed! Got another tournament this weekend. Hoping to break 250! Need to get some practice in, school programs keep getting canceled because of snow days...