PDA

View Full Version : Too Thin

Hondo 60
02-01-2014, 07:19 PM
Help Please

I bought some lead that seems to be too thin. I don't know the composition.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/141148027237?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

It fills out a cold mold & when the mold warms, it gets under the sprue to form flash on the base of the bullet.

I'm pretty green at this so go slow & explain.
What do I add to thicken it up a bit.

Hawkeye45
02-01-2014, 07:41 PM
I may be wrong, but that sounds like it comes from our own A G.If I have insulted A G I apologize.

Mr. Ed

Czech_too
02-01-2014, 07:45 PM
I did a search of the outfit which, according to your link, made these ingots, and their still in business. If this lead is from fishing nets I would think that it's soft lead. Now, depending on what you're casting for, it could be used as is, or...
You say that it fills out a cold mold. Now that puzzles me. Also, that it forms a flash on the base of the bullet? This I would think is due to the sprue plate, not the alloy. More information is needed such as the casting temp, what you're casting for and what the boolits are to be used for/on.

Hondo 60
02-01-2014, 07:45 PM
The ebay listing says “This lead comes from old used Alaskan Gill nets”

Hondo 60
02-01-2014, 07:47 PM
I've used this mold for almost a year and never had sprue issues.
(does the same thing with another good mold)

I'm casting for a .32 H&R Mag. just for target shooting/plinking
2nd mold is for a 45 colt

DLCTEX
02-01-2014, 07:48 PM
I would think that it would be pure lead, in which case it needs tin added for boolit making unless for muzzle loaders. It sounds as if you have a poor fit of the sprue plate . Check to see if light shows under it from sides or ends. Sometimes loosening the screw will let the plate lie closer to the mould. I have never seen an alloy that is too thin in it's molten state. I would check for lead on the face of the mould, lead under the sprue plate near the screw, warped or bent plate, etc.

bhn22
02-01-2014, 08:50 PM
It does sound like your sprue plate is too loose, or that you are creating too much cavity pressure, possibly by filling the cavity with the nozzle of your ladle or pot pressed against the sprue plate. Pics would help, what kind of equipment are you working with.

Hondo 60
02-01-2014, 08:51 PM
OK, thanks for the suggestions

I'm using a Lee Production Pot IV (bottom pour) & the molds are TL314-90SWC & TL452-200SWC

Not sure what good a pic is, I don't have any.
The bullets with a bit of flash at the base were thrown back into the pot to melt.

Sprue plate is not loose, if anything, it may be too tight.

243winxb
02-01-2014, 09:18 PM
High % lead content alloys need less heat to cast. Dont let the bottom pour nozzle come in contact with the mould. Adding antimony will help reduce the flow from a too hot alloy/mold. Antimony will also increase bullet diameter as it drops from the moulds. If the metal is/has bismuth, it melts at a very low temperature, and may flow very easly.

Hondo 60
02-02-2014, 12:44 AM
Is there an easily available source for antimony?

I know if you want to add tin, just get some tin solder, what about antimony?

Slow Elk 45/70
02-02-2014, 12:59 AM
Lawrence mag shot....has what you need....also read the LASC site for a lot of info on lead alloy's and mix ratio, link on this site...Good Luck

roberts1
02-02-2014, 01:55 AM
I am assuming you are letting the puddle on top of the sprue plate harden before opening correct? As things warm up it takes a bit longer for things to solidify. Cutting the sprue too early will make a mess of things.

44man
02-02-2014, 09:33 AM
The sprue plate screw tightness can be different for every mold. Too tight on some will tilt the plate.

DLCTEX
02-02-2014, 10:01 AM
I think what bhn22 meant by the sprue plate may be too loose is not that the screw is loose, but the fit of the plate to the mould is not a snug fit.

243winxb
02-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Is there an easily available source for antimony?

I know if you want to add tin, just get some tin solder, what about antimony? I would just add Linotype. Metals available from here. http://www.rotometals.com/Antimony-s/1.htm

lwknight
02-02-2014, 12:53 PM
Sometimes you just get strange alloys. I have some of what looks and acts like pure lead in every way except that it has absolutely zero surface tension.

Pb2au
02-02-2014, 01:01 PM
I'm thinking either the sprue plate is a bit loose, or it may be waaaaaay too tight and not laying flat on the top of the mold.
Or the sprue plate might be bent/warped.
Check all of the above.

Echo
02-02-2014, 02:38 PM
The threads where the sprue plate hinge screw go may be upset. Carefully remove the screw and use a counterbore bit to cut a small taper on top to get rid of any residual upset. D&T a hole for a set screw to old the hinge-screw in your desired position. Pure lead shouldn't run under the sprue plate as you indicate. I generally suggest the addition of Sn, but it seems your stuff has all the fluidity it needs...

montana_charlie
02-02-2014, 03:42 PM
It fills out a cold mold & when the mold warms, it gets under the sprue to form flash on the base of the bullet.
On top of those indications, the metal comes from "old Alaskan gill nets".

Since the source is clouded in mystery and the alloy acts like it is more fluid than normal lead, I wonder if you have pure tin ... or a high tin content alloy, such as some kind of solder.

Are the bullets you cast considerably lighter in weight than bullets cast with your older alloy?

CM

waksupi
02-02-2014, 04:22 PM
I'm thinking babbet, or pot metal.

Walter Laich
02-02-2014, 06:12 PM
can you determine the temp at which it melts?
this might go along way to determine what you have

Bad Water Bill
02-03-2014, 01:08 AM
Depending on how much you WON on evil bay it may be worth your time to find a scrap yard where they can use an X ray gadget to determine just what you really won.

MaryB
02-03-2014, 02:07 AM
Lee sprue plates like to not sit flat. I had to stone all mine flat with a wetstone to get a decent fit. Makes them open close a lot easier too.

44man
02-03-2014, 11:49 AM
Weights for any purpose from nets, dive weights, sail boat keel weights and on to a thousand other things only depend on weight. They don't care a hoot to what metal is used.

Bad Water Bill
02-03-2014, 12:06 PM
There have been documented cases of native americans using a mysterious substance after drilling holes in it.

Since I am NOT a chemist I will only give the initials and leave the smarter folks to solve the mixture.

R. O. C. K.:)

It was used for thousands of years to hold nets to the bottom

DRNurse1
02-03-2014, 12:12 PM
BWB, if the OP can melt rock in his Lee bottom pour...he has some other issues to address. This is a good thread for advice to the new caster since it advises early contact with the folks at the scrap yard who, if they are like mine, seem to have some inexpensive lead to trade.

Bad Water Bill
02-03-2014, 12:46 PM
I do not believe I said anything about melting ANYTHING.

I simply was pointing out that many items over the years have been used as sinkers. It WAS intended for educational use only.

Is that no longer allowed?

If so I will delete it and move elsewhere.

country gent
02-03-2014, 01:03 PM
Im wondering if he may have gotten a "test" metal in the exchange. ( think cerosafe) a lot of casting farctories/foundries have large quanities on hand and it could have found its way to wieghts for the nets. It my be some form of bismith or low temp alloy.

waksupi
02-03-2014, 04:32 PM
I do not believe I said anything about melting ANYTHING.

I simply was pointing out that many items over the years have been used as sinkers. It WAS intended for educational use only.

Is that no longer allowed?

If so I will delete it and move elsewhere.

Perfectly understandable. When you were a kid, the only thing to play with was rocks, and they were still new on the market at that time.

starmac
02-03-2014, 05:53 PM
Perfectly understandable. When you were a kid, the only thing to play with was rocks, and they were still new on the market at that time.

That just wasn't right, we are suppose to be able to drink coffee while checking out this forum. lol