PDA

View Full Version : A question for the rock-hounds...

S.R.Custom
12-11-2007, 02:56 AM
OK, so I'm traipsing through the woods, 44 on hip, looking to rustle up some grub, and the sun catches this as I'm climbing a rocky embankment. "Cool," sez I. So like the song says, I picked it up and put it in my pocket.

Anyone have any idea what it is? Weighs about 2 ounces.

http://www.salmonriverdesign.com/STUFF/rock.JPG

45nut
12-11-2007, 02:58 AM
Looks like amber or quartz to me. Could be a Leaverite though.

S.R.Custom
12-11-2007, 03:32 AM
Ha ha... (Yes, I had to look up "Leaverite.")

gregg
12-11-2007, 05:55 AM
OK, so I'm traipsing through the woods, 44 on hip, looking to rustle up some grub, and the sun catches this as I'm climbing a rocky embankment. "Cool," sez I. So like the song says, I picked it up and put it in my pocket.

Anyone have any idea what it is? Weighs about 2 ounces.

http://www.salmonriverdesign.com/STUFF/rock.JPG

Montana Moss Agate Best pictures I can find is here. Can find it mostly
in the Yellowstone River. Use to find it in Noth Dakota in rock pits on the
river bottom washed down from Montana thru thousands of years.
Then again I could be wrong????Salmon, ID???? I don't know what Mt Moss Agate
would be doing in ID.???

http://www.angelfire.com/oh5/ojhoff/cabochons.html

gregg
12-11-2007, 06:00 AM
Ha ha... (Yes, I had to look up "Leaverite.")

Me too ;-(

shotstring
12-11-2007, 09:50 AM
Looks to be Smokey Quartz. If it was lighter and more of a plastic feel and not too hard, then possibly amber, but the picture doesn't appear to be amber to me.

Ricochet
12-11-2007, 03:03 PM
I was thinking smoky quartz, too. It's been worn down in a riverbed.

MT Gianni
12-11-2007, 03:48 PM
Me too ;-(

Is leaverite chair building materiel as in "leaverite chere"? Gianni

Bad Water Bill
12-11-2007, 04:09 PM
From the picture it looks like Moss agate from around Glendive Mt. How did it get there? Native Americans traded all over this continent. Copper from Michigan s upper peninsula has been recovered in Texas. Ohio flint all over the mid west. Kalifornia Obsidian at least to the Mississippi River. And the list goes on. BWB :castmine:

Bad Water Bill
12-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Ricochet The yellowish color is generally from around Glendive if my OLD memory is still working. The black stuff in the quartz is dendrite. Some times they form very nice pictures. I have a matched pair of cuff links with a tree in each piece. Many times you can see bushes, birds. or what ever your imagination wants. When you get lucky you do not need an imagination. It is THERE. BWB :castmine:

Bad Water Bill
12-11-2007, 04:24 PM
MT GIANNI No it is NOT chair building material. BUT it can be used as chair DESTROYING material. BWB :castmine:

Ricochet
12-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Cool stuff!

S.R.Custom
12-11-2007, 05:00 PM
...Salmon, ID???? I don't know what Mt Moss Agate
would be doing in ID.???

Very possible-- Salmon has often been described as the western-most town in Montana. Very easily could've washed down off the Divide, which I have an exquisite view of from the bedroom window...

...The black stuff in the quartz is dendrite.

Negative... there is no black in the stone. What you see is a lack of refracted light along internal fracture planes. Turn the stone another way, and it's absolutely transluscent. And it's not amber, as it has definite crystal facets, not seen in this pic (on the other side of the stone).

Will post more pics this evening when I have time.

Bad Water Bill
12-11-2007, 05:15 PM
SuperMag Since Idaho is called the gem state Just maybe you found a 2 oz yellow DIAMOND. Give it to SHMBO and say merry Xmas. Think you can get away with that? BWB :castmine:

Pepe Ray
12-11-2007, 08:57 PM
Topaz??

The Double D
12-12-2007, 01:48 AM
It's Rocky Mountain keperite. Not all that rare. I have a bunch of it, but none from the Rocky's.

I have collected similir samples all over everywhere else. None from SA as they only seem to have leverite and and Armed Guards everywhere.

Several year ago I took a box of kepertite to a lapidarist and he cut and polished everything into book ends and what not's.

Slowpoke
12-12-2007, 02:20 AM
Looks like amber or quartz to me. Could be a Leaverite though.

Naw it's not leaverite, it looks more like one of them sex rocks to me.

Ricochet
12-12-2007, 11:26 AM
Keperite there?

woody1
12-12-2007, 04:10 PM
Naw it's not leaverite, it looks more like one of them sex rocks to me.

Indian Love Stone?

S.R.Custom
12-12-2007, 05:49 PM
Judging from a lot of the responses here, it would seem that what I have here is a small chunk of Blarney stone... :mrgreen:

crowbeaner
12-12-2007, 08:36 PM
NAAH. Blarney stone is greenish in color. Everybody knows that.

The Double D
12-13-2007, 12:29 AM
Judging from a lot of the responses here, it would seem that what I have here is a small chunk of Blarney stone... :mrgreen:

Ah, this is Cast Boolits, isn't it?

Keperite, keeper right here in my back pack... A close relative to Gramma rock, except for more sophisticated mature persons.

walltube
12-13-2007, 01:59 AM
"A close relative to 'Gramma rock'*,"

*Once used in the manufacture of GrammaPhones. Now discontinued because of suspected Gramma Ray contamination. Second only to lead in destroying lab rat language skills resulting in poor gramma.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry 'bout that, SuperMag, didn't really mean to hi-jack your thread; just couldn't help myself.

Seriously, your 'rock' resembles a mysterious "green glass" found in the Sahara as featured in a recent National Geo program. Maybe a local university can render an opinion? Be interesting to get a clue.

Wayne Smith
12-13-2007, 08:42 AM
My geologist wife suggested Citrine since it is faceted. She says Moss Atate is usually less clear and translucent.

The Double D
12-13-2007, 01:19 PM
"A close relative to 'Gramma rock'*,"

*Once used in the manufacture of GrammaPhones. Now discontinued because of suspected Gramma Ray contamination. Second only to lead in destroying lab rat language skills resulting in poor gramma.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry 'bout that, SuperMag, didn't really mean to hi-jack your thread; just couldn't help myself.

Seriously, your 'rock' resembles a mysterious "green glass" found in the Sahara as featured in a recent National Geo program. Maybe a local university can render an opinion? Be interesting to get a clue.

No, no, no! Gramma, Gramma, Grampa's girl friend. Gramma rock can only be found by little kids and taken to Gramma...

walltube
12-13-2007, 06:34 PM
No, no, no! Gramma, Gramma, Grampa's girl friend. Gramma rock can only be found by little kids and taken to Gramma...

Oookay :-) hee-hee-hee. That's what I figured you meant.

Gave some grand-daughters a few examples of my geode collection. Was reffered to thereafter as, "Paw-Paw Rocks" .

drinks
12-14-2007, 12:26 AM
My best guess ,a crystal of silicon dioxide, that is, a quartz crystal that has been worn down by water, has some fractures and some inclusions and is interesting, but of no special value.
I have kept material that was not that good, just because.