PDA

View Full Version : Alox on commercial cast boolits..Really need help finding info please

opos
01-31-2014, 11:18 AM
I've done "search" to try and find a thread that speaks to a specific issue. I don't cast as I have serious lung issues but I do shoot lots of Missouri 12 hardness "cowboy" projectiles in several calibers..I've slugged the barrels and my loads are light with the softer loadings so I am rarely bothered by leading..but occasionally....for some reason I do pick up a bit of leading..easy to clean out and not been a big issue..but it seems to me I saw a thread where someone had either pan or tumble coated commercial cast (and commerecial lubed) projectiles and it just plain eliminated any leading....I'm just interested is a simple and proved way to get that last "10%" protection from leading if it has been tried and works...

Many thanks for any help

ShooterAZ
01-31-2014, 11:24 AM
A little bit of leading, and easy to clean out would be more tolerable to me than using sticky smelly Alox that might not make a difference. You could try it and see, it might work. It's cheap enough, and it does work if boolit fit is correct.

sghart3578
01-31-2014, 11:34 AM
I have done this before, many times. In fact I just loaded 100 rounds of 45 ACP that I tumble lubed even though they had factory lube in the grooves. The reason is I have a ton of old boolits that I have purchased through the years from estate sales, yard sales, clearances, etc. I only load low speed stuff generally. 45 ACP, 45 Colt plinkers, 38 spl plinkers stuff along those lines. When I dig out some of these old boolits to load them they look a little beat up and the hard lube in the grooves look a little brittle. So I give them a tumble to be on the safe side.

I have used straight Alox but now I use 45-45-10 from White Label. It dries faster and works great.

Outpost75
01-31-2014, 11:37 AM
I have over-coated hardcast commercial bullets with a light coat of LLA and it does help.

Key is to DILUTE the Liquid Alox by equal parts of liquid volume with mineral spirits, then "wash" the bullets by swirling in a milk jug or similar for about a minute, until the solvent begins to slightly dissolve the hard lube already on the bullets, so that they have a light blue, green or red clear coat all over,
THEN pour those out onto a cookie sheet covered with waxed paper to dry. Use a small box fan directly on the bullets to speed up the solvent evaporation.

This also results in a harder waxy coating on the bullets than using LLA by itself. You will like the result. Similar to the process used on factory bullets.

243winxb
01-31-2014, 08:57 PM
Works, but builds up in the seating die. If not cleaned, COL may change a little.

'74 sharps
02-01-2014, 08:49 AM
The commercially cast bullet lubes look great, which is their best attribute.