PDA

View Full Version : A Check Question

JWFilips
01-30-2014, 08:17 PM
Hi Folks, Please understand so far I have not ventured into the world of gas checks on cast boolits but now that I'm moving into casting for my rifles I see that it will become inevitable..... but before I venture into this new realm and spend more money... I call upon this forums ingenious creative minds to ask If anyone has a way to install copper gas checks on cast rifle boolits ( not in a production method mind you just a few for testing purposes) Without the need of running the boolit through a sizer die? Yes I know it must be a strange request ...But I'm certain you all have heard stranger
Thanks

fcvan
01-30-2014, 08:20 PM
A check is normally seated by running the boolit and check through the sizing die. There are some folks who crimp on checks by using a collet die and therefore are not sizing the whole boolit. I hope this was helpful

bhn22
01-30-2014, 08:40 PM
Yes. Seek out older Lyman manufactured gaschecks. They do not crimp on, but just sit on the step at the base of the bullet.

ukrifleman
01-31-2014, 02:36 PM
I fix gas checks to the un-sized 6.5X55 Lee Cruise Missile bullets, I cast for my M91 Carcano with a drop of Loc-tite.

I fix the gas checks to the bullets BEFORE I tumble lube them in Lee Liquid Alox.

A word of caution, DO NOT use this method if the base of the bullet is below the case neck and into the shoulder when seated, as the gas check will be pulled off as the bullet passes through the neck.
ukrifleman.

JWFilips
01-31-2014, 09:56 PM
So no one has come up with a small swage die to plunk these things in place? Ah, Off to the drawing board!