PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Traffic SNAFU - would you have been prepared?

Artful
01-30-2014, 03:18 PM
http://www.businessinsider.com/atlanta-traffic-jam-pictures-2014-1
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfG60rPIUAE7scn.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfGgvygCQAAAyBF.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfIuYEzCAAAI7Yz.png

Seems most folk in atlanta are poorly prepared
- I'm hoping we do better here in Arizona but sort of doubt it.
So what Items do you carry in your car DAILY?
And what Items do you carry in your car for bad weather travel?

1) First Aid Kit
2) Fire Extinguisher
3) Water
4) Food
5) Flashlight / Flares / Reflector or other signaling devices
6) Emergency Blanket - extra clothes and walking shoes
7) Jumper Cables
8) Tow Strap/Cable/Chain
9) Lighter/Matches/Candle/MRE heater packs - something to make fire and warm a car
10) Cell phone and charger
11) Maps in addition to GPS
12) Center punch/hammer to break a window if ditch in water

Not a total list but the top Dozen in my list.

Toilet Paper, Sun Screen, spare Key, Light bulbs and fuses, Germicide (contains alcohol so doubles as firestarter), Baby wipes/paper towels, Shop Hand towels, Bath Sheet/Large Towel, Shovels, Axe, Saw, Basic Handtools to work on vehicle, Paracord, Duct tape, Zip Ties, Mechanic Wire, Tire Inflator, spare flashlight with spare batteries for both, Sand / Salt in winter, Gas Can, Better than Factory Lug Wrench, Tire pressure gauge, Calling Card & Money, Carpet floor mat strong enough to use to drive on when stuck in mud, Roll of plastic sheeting.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-30-2014, 03:24 PM
regarding Atlanta...
This has happened before in 2011 and surely many times previously. If I lived there, and the warnings were as they were on sunday and monday and Tuesday morning, I would have stayed home, knowing the City and state are unprepared.

So Maybe it's because I've lived in Minnesota all my life, but whatever, I think all these people that were stranded on the hiways (and/or some spend the night at retail stores and such) are all IDIOTS! They should have stayed at home. I do not feel sorry for any of them.

osteodoc08
01-30-2014, 03:31 PM
I was stuck in that **** for 3-1/2 hours driving from work to get my daughter and to my home in NWGA. It normally takes me an hour. I got stuck on a four lane due to an accident. Put my truck in 4wd, drove through the median to the other side and took back roads all the ay home. Lots of cars in the ditches, 18 wheelers jacked knifed and sliding down hills. RWD cars and trucks and some fwd cars not able to make it up the hills and sliding into one another. I'd take an empty road with 1-1/2" snow on it any day. I had to drive down in a ditch to keep a car from hitting me and my daughter as well. My truck was able to get me and my family home safely and incident free. 2013 F250 4wd with the 6.7L diesel. It was -1*F and roads were full of black ice this morning, but I was able to make it back to work. Roads are mostly clear now thankfully.

To answer your question though, I have:

First aid kit with mini face shield for CPR.
Usually have some water bottle laying in the back unopened and crumbs in the back from the kids. I think there is an unopened pack of Keebler cookies from my daughters lunch.
20K pound Tow Strap, snatch block and ratchet straps
Jumper Cables
Spare lighter in the console somewhere
Flashlight
Gun
blanket my daughter uses in the morning
I had some flares, but took them out last time I cleaned.
Diesel additive/cleaner/antigel
Plastic Caldwell gun rest and bag in the bed.
Few empty casings from my various handguns.
and a bag of dogfood I forgot to take out last night.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-30-2014, 03:31 PM
What Atlanta should have learned from Snowpocalypse 2011
January 20, 2011

The lead photo in the article shows about 1" of snow on the ground.

http://clatl.com/atlanta/what-atlanta-should-have-learned-from-snowpocalypse-2011/Content?oid=2677315

also in this article, them mention this happening in March '09

osteodoc08
01-30-2014, 03:32 PM
regarding Atlanta...
This has happened before in 2011 and surely many times previously. If I lived there, and the warnings were as they were on sunday and monday and Tuesday morning, I would have stayed home, knowing the City and state are unprepared.

So Maybe it's because I've lived in Minnesota all my life, but whatever, I think all these people that were stranded on the hiways (and/or some spend the night at retail stores and such) are all IDIOTS! They should have stayed at home. I do not feel sorry for any of them.

Its funny how any bit of snow paralyzes the state. If people just took their time and knew how to drive, it woul dbe a non issue.

osteodoc08
01-30-2014, 03:34 PM
What Atlanta should have learned from Snowpocalypse 2011
January 20, 2011

The lead photo in the article shows about 1" of snow on the ground.

http://clatl.com/atlanta/what-atlanta-should-have-learned-from-snowpocalypse-2011/Content?oid=2677315

also in this article, them mention this happening in March '09

Yep and every few years before that and will continue in to the foreseeable future.

I love to see the idiots in their 4wd trucks barreling down the road and then, often times to late, that you still have to stop as well ......

pretzelxx
01-30-2014, 03:40 PM
I generally dress for the weather and if my car dies I'll walk in the snow. I'm currently in Washington state and miss the snow. I was born and raised for 20 years in Wisconsin, the snow means it's good weather! If its not at least 6 inches deep, it's considered a dusting.

Outpost75
01-30-2014, 03:41 PM
The best lesson to be learned from this event is that when "it" happens, if you have not already left on the last plane to Miami before the storm "watch" has advanced to "warning" that you should stay put and NOT go out on the road amongst the incompetent masses of the inept and unprepared in denial. Regardless of how well prepared you are, you are just jumping off the cliff with the rest of the lemmings.... It's stupid to be out there unless it is your job to coddle the ignorant masses and reward their negative behavior.

starmac
01-30-2014, 03:49 PM
Outpost nailed it, when there is that much traffic, there is nothing the state or city can do even if they had the equipment. One inch under heavy traffic, when the temps is right is worse than driving through a foot of snow.

southpaw
01-30-2014, 03:51 PM
Fuel. I don't let my trucks get much under half before I fill them back up. Come to think of it, I do this during the summer too.

Jerry Jr.

MtGun44
01-30-2014, 03:53 PM
Hilarious. What a collective bunch of fools. No idea how to drive in 2" snow.
Of course, if 10% are complete fools, they shut the whole mess down. Anybody even
thinking about getting onto a limited access road in those conditions should have their
head examined.

I had to fight thru 6-9" in south central Illinois thru to the middle of Missouri in early Jan with
just my Honda Accord, std 'M+S' tires and a good bit of skill from driving in snow for decades.
It was stressful for that long because most of the roads were not plowed. The biggest hassle was the
nutballs that were driving along at 15 mph on the interstate in the only halfway clear lane, blocking 40
cars and trucks behind them. Whiteout some of the time in Ill, not much plowing, even in St.
Louis area, which surprised me - it was Sunday, so I guess they didn't care. All the roads were
snow packed at least 90% of that way.

Folks that know snow driving can get thru a good bit with even a regular car. Knuckleheads
will put a 4WD in the ditch.

Bill

Artful
01-30-2014, 03:56 PM
I never had issues with snow until I started pushing without a plow but ICE - Hate ICE - white, black or any color!

grumman581
01-30-2014, 04:03 PM
Its funny how any bit of snow paralyzes the state. If people just took their time and knew how to drive, it woul dbe a non issue.

I was in Utah recently and on their first major snow storm of the season, the news was saying that the police in and around SLC had responded to 300 car "wrecks" that day. Most were just minor incidents / fender benders / sliding off the road, but what it shows is that even people who should *know* how to drive in it (since they get so much), seem to forget how even after a couple of months. Here in the Houston area, it's possible that a person could go 10-20 years without seeing ice occurring naturally. :)

Also, it's a lot different driving on snow than on ice. I'll take snow any day compared to ice.

HATCH
01-30-2014, 04:09 PM
I just don't get it.
I live 8 miles from my work. Its a straight shot down a major highway (not interstate but 4 lane)
I knew that the bad weather was coming just not when.
I filled up every vehicle we owned the day before.

I got a 1/2 cubic yard of sand in the back of my truck ($15) and a shovel.

starmac
01-30-2014, 04:12 PM
I have seen the same thing happen in Denver, when it comes a small snow 1 to 3 inches, rush hour traffic packs it into solid ice within minutes. If the temps are just right it is much worse than driving through snow when your bumper is pushing it. When you have wall to wall cars, and slip 6 inches, there is an accident, I doubt anyone in Atlanta owns studded tires either or a set of chains either. lol

Outpost75
01-30-2014, 04:18 PM
Outpost nailed it, when there is that much traffic, there is nothing the state or city can do even if they had the equipment. One inch under heavy traffic, when the temps is right is worse than driving through a foot of snow.

During an ice storm the only sensible thing to do is to close the Interstate and ban nonessential traffic.

Only emergency, public safety and commercial vehicles equipped with chains.

When I lived in New Hampshire we once had a severe ice storm which brought down over 1000 power poles in my county. The state police did just that. If you abandoned your vehicle it would be pushed it into the ditch with a dozer to clear a path for emergency vehicles. You received a $1000 fine for leaving it there, were responsible for the cost of its removal within 30 days or the state would declare it abandoned and sell it for scrap. The state denied any responsibility for damage to your vehicle because it was a hazard to navigation.

dagger dog
01-30-2014, 07:08 PM
You guys there in Atlanta have traffic problems all the time, my last trip through there made me plan the time I ran I 85 and it's alternatives.

When you know the weather can cause problems you get up 1 hour early and look out the window to see if the prognosticators got it right. If so, take your coffee and do-nut and leave early.

Yes you might have just experienced a 20 year event, but it is just that, a wake up call, step up take it in stride !

Three-Fifty-Seven
01-30-2014, 07:34 PM
Hopefully it will all be cleared by this weekend ... I have a load to deliver just south of Atlanta on Monday morning ...

TES
01-30-2014, 07:39 PM
Atlanta has only had something this severe happen twice in the past 40 years. Once when I was very young and once when I was in highskrewal. The others did not compare. So nobody there "thinks" it can be that bad because of all of the news media calling for winter stormaggeddon and then it never happens. If the news did not sensationalize the weather as they do people probably would have heeded the warning instead of worrying about going to work that day. Now I live in MT and you never hear a peep outta the news about not going out because the snow is too deep and theres ice on the road and the wind is blowing at 40+ mph. People here have the necessary vehicles,tires, chains, and a winter driving kit for an emergency. There they would laugh at you for having this because it is really unnecessary. 4x4$ there are for mud not snow.....:roll:

horsesoldier
01-30-2014, 08:01 PM
I dont drive like a woman on half an inch of snow so I would have been good

dagger dog
01-30-2014, 08:08 PM
[QUOTE=TES;2605548]Atlanta has only had something this severe happen twice in the past 40 years.

When weather becomes news, it's usually the TV media searching for enough subjects to fill the allotted time slot allowed by the broadcast associate.

The digital revolution has allowed everyone easy access to live time Doppler weather radar, it doesn't take but a few minutes to view the track of a significant winter weather event on your I-pad, smart phone, even the TV.

Look at the Doppler and figure it out yourself !

fishnbob
01-30-2014, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE=TES;2605548]Atlanta has only had something this severe happen twice in the past 40 years.

When weather becomes news, it's usually the TV media searching for enough subjects to fill the allotted time slot allowed by the broadcast associate.

The digital revolution has allowed everyone easy access to live time Doppler weather radar, it doesn't take but a few minutes to view the track of a significant winter weather event on your I-pad, smart phone, even the TV.

+1 on the above. The government could waste some of our tax money by sending some city dwelling southerners to Minnesota for three months training during their snowy season(August-June)LOL. I've visited there and it has 2 seasons, beautiful & brutal. I would like to live there from June to the end of August.

Outpost75
01-30-2014, 08:32 PM
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2014/0130/Atlanta-gridlock-fiasco-Did-politics-play-a-role-in-snowstorm-gamble

Nine hours after the National Weather Service issued a 3 a.m. major winter storm warning for the massive Atlanta metro area on Tuesday, Gov. Nathan Deal and Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed were at a champagne awards brunch, and the lights were off at the Georgia Emergency Management Center. When the snow began to fall and rapidly accumulate – sparking a mass exodus of workers and school kids – chaos and human drama ensued. Most of the departing workers and students became frozen in place as accumulating ice caused 1,500 car accidents and hundreds of jackknifed tractor-trailers…..and Atlanta became a national laughingstock, the storm response a “snowball to the face of metro Atlanta’s image,” as the Atlanta Journal Constitution’s J. Scott Trubey wrote…..
The lingering question as Atlanta finally clears its streets, drivers pick up abandoned cars, and a warm wave is slated to melt it all away on Friday and Saturday: How did those responsible for handling emergencies miss what to so many was an obvious call?
More:
http://www.emergencymgmt.com/disaster/Snowstorm-Freezes-Atlanta.html
http://www.ajc.com/news/news/atlanta-weather-abandoned-cars-may-be-moved-towed-/nc6ZW/
http://www.myajc.com/news/news/state-regional/georgias-preparation-in-eye-of-media-storm/nc6h6/?icmp=ajc_internallink_invitationbox_apr2013_ajcst ub1
http://www.businessinsider.com/why-all-altanta-is-stuck-in-traffic-2014-1
http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/30/us/atlanta-ice-how-it-happened/

Rick N Bama
01-30-2014, 08:32 PM
You guys that say we Southerners can't drive in the snow are welcome to come on down & give it a try, provided it was a snow such as what the AL-GA area had on Tuesday. For the most part it became ice as it hit the ground & if it didn't the first vehicle that drove over it turned it into ice. Couple that with a million people trying to get out at the same time equals a real disaster. My Niece that works in Downtown Atlanta left for home at 11:30AM, some 7 hours later she made it to her home in Coweta County in the SW Metro Area.

True the ball was dropped by some officials an example of which is Fayette County Schools only letting out some 30 minutes earlier than normal. That was a terrible decision for the kids shouldn't have been at school at all that day.

Goatwhiskers
01-30-2014, 08:39 PM
Saw on the news today interviews with people blaming "the government" for the mess. "Someone should have done something!" Idiots!! Ultimately we are responsible for looking out for ourselves, the "gimme" crowd has forgotten that. We've had two days of icy roads, me and mine stayed home, fed the fire and our faces. No problem, very few wrecks except for those too stupid to prepare ahead and stay off the roads. GW

Rick N Bama
01-30-2014, 08:56 PM
Saw on the news today interviews with people blaming "the government" for the mess. "Someone should have done something!" Idiots!! Ultimately we are responsible for looking out for ourselves, the "gimme" crowd has forgotten that. We've had two days of icy roads, me and mine stayed home, fed the fire and our faces. No problem, very few wrecks except for those too stupid to prepare ahead and stay off the roads. GW

Heck Goatwhiskers, a well known Meteorologist in Birmingham is taking heat for the mess there....Geez Guys, he ain't God although some seem to think he is.

I might add that some can't simply stay home. My working career was spent with Bellsouth as a Service Tech. To the management it was never bad weather. "Just Like It's 90 Degrees" was their motto.

Handloader109
01-30-2014, 09:08 PM
Agreed, I'm in NY arkansas now, but have driven with no problems in feet of snow in WI PA, SD, MN KS that I remember, 1/4 inch of ice trumps feet of snow any day.

You guys that say we Southerners can't drive in the snow are welcome to come on down & give it a try, provided it was a snow such as what the AL-GA area had on Tuesday. For the most part it became ice as it hit the ground & if it didn't the first vehicle that drove over it turned it into ice. Couple that with a million people trying to get out at the same time equals a real disaster. My Niece that works in Downtown Atlanta left for home at 11:30AM, some 7 hours later she made it to her home in Coweta County in the SW Metro Area.

True the ball was dropped by some officials an example of which is Fayette County Schools only letting out some 30 minutes earlier than normal. That was a terrible decision for the kids shouldn't have been at school at all that day.

osteodoc08
01-30-2014, 09:24 PM
Lots of ice today. Thankfully it's mostly gone. It's the shaded streets that will still be a mess tomorrow. I'll take the roads I know are clear. No biggie.

btroj
01-30-2014, 10:02 PM
I wouldn't have been much more prepared.

I don't keep much in my vehicle but I also drive 2 miles to work. I live in town and don't drive on major roads but the city does an excellent job of keeping things clear.

Preparedness is very dependent upon the situations you think you could be in. I can't see any situations in my normal driving that would leave me stranded for long at all.

Charley
01-30-2014, 10:36 PM
My truck carries:
1 gallon water in two canteens
Emergency blankets
Two tarps
Fashlights
Folding shovel
Hatchet
Matches
Toilet paper
Paper towels
Jumper cables
Tow strap
Other assorted gear that could save my butt.

taiden
01-30-2014, 10:40 PM
Yes, I would have been prepared because I live in a state where 18" of snow means you make a snow angel during your lunch break, because nothing closes.

That said it sounds like it was mostly ice which is the worst. I would have been prepared because I wouldn't have been on the interstate with a bunch of people who don't spend 4 months a year driving on ice.

Dale in Louisiana
01-30-2014, 10:48 PM

Exactly! There are too many accurate weather resources available besides the local news and your friendly local emergency preparedness bunch.

The day will not come that I take the word of either as to the actions I need to take to take care of myself and my loved ones.

dale in Louisiana

dbosman
01-30-2014, 11:02 PM
That storm was predicted. Is the weather reporting around Atlanta so bad that no one trusted the weather people?
I understand the pressure from bosses, to show up for work, but I've never understood risking ones life in a storm. I once worked for a guy that sold salt and I refused to go to work during a bad snow storm.

pmer
01-30-2014, 11:04 PM
People can learn to drive in snow but glare ice and even a slight hill is trouble. Here is an online congestion map that I watch during the day when I'm doing my field service job in the twin cities.

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/tmc/trafficinfo/map/d_map.png

One time there was 27 accidents in the metro area, it was very cold and black ice was causing the trouble that day.

starmac
01-30-2014, 11:08 PM
Coming from someone with their share of ice driving, and has driven in every imaginable condition in every state except for Hawaii and Maine, I would much to prefer to stay above the mason dixon line when it is snowing, and it isn't all because the drivers are used to it. There are several factors, the big one is the temperature and amount of traffic.
When temps get close to the freezing mark all ice is slick, when tires spin or slide on it it shines it even more, when you have a half a million vehicles in slick conditions, you get even more problems because of the exhaust slicking it even more. There are conditions that occur, that even if you were born driving on ice, have the best handling vehicle made with top notch snow tires, weight distributed perfectly, you still have no control, and these conditions get met nearly any time there is a bad ice storm in the south. It is best to just stay where you are (if in a safe place) and wait it out. So far the longest I ever had to wait was in NC (five days), the second longest was just north of Austin Texas.(three days)

Love Life
01-30-2014, 11:13 PM
Snow cripples the southeast. All but the mountain areas at least. Most parts of the south east don't even have snow plows.

starmac
01-30-2014, 11:21 PM
Snow plows are worthless when you only have an inch or two packed down to 1/4 inch by a million cars. lol Sand trucks do help though.

jonas302
01-30-2014, 11:35 PM
I think my truck carries most everything on Artfuls list plus at least on rifle maybe a shotgun chainsaw snowshoes coveralls and all cold weather gear and I walk to work lol a lots not for emergency though some is just handy to have when I am somewhere

Fuel is a big one keep the tank on the full side less condensation in the cold and ready for emergency

Love Life
01-30-2014, 11:38 PM
It would be cool if the snowpocalypse created massive glacier that covered Atlanta, Athens, Augusta, and Marietta.

Blacksmith
01-30-2014, 11:59 PM
Similar things happen periodically in Washington DC, it generally takes more snow than Atlanta, but they get gridlock and people abandon cars in the middle of the beltway. They do get snow and ice most years but they will get a heavy one that starts just after most people have gone to work and the schools weren't closed, then the federal government and the schools all close early at the same time and clog the roads before the plows can make a dent. This happens because local weather service has a poor reputation in making accurate predictions (global warming anyone) and the news media is forever crying wolf "the blizzard is coming get your milk and bread" and nothing happens so people ignore the warnings. When these storms happen and there is a "Southern" administration in the White House i.e. the President is from a southern state the results are worse than a "Northern" administration. Most people not from the area don't realize there is a noticeable population change in Washington DC when the administration changes because of all the appointments and patronage jobs. So it can happen anywhere given the right circumstances and having experience helps.

popper
01-31-2014, 12:06 AM
Somewhat unpredictable weather situation. Don't know hey idiots expect the guberment to save them. Got caught in one that iced up from Austin to Texarkana with a 6 mo old. Iced road and 30 mph crosswind. DFW was iced in for a week. I'll take real snow anytime. Anyway I would look at the school management for failure to get the kids out early, or Mom to say stay home.

MaryB
01-31-2014, 12:51 AM
6 inches of snow or glare ice or 3 inches slush on ice... not a problem have driven in all over the years. Had to drive 110 miles to catch a flight out of MSP on ice. 40mph and if you see traffic ahead slow down well before getting to it. Plus I have 5 days worth of survival gear in the truck, sleeping bag, warm insulated coveralls, boots, extra gloves and hats, food, water that I can thaw over the small propane stove...

oscarflytyer
01-31-2014, 02:15 AM
HE!! YES!! Grew up in IN. Everyone in AL thinks I am crazy for the **** I keep in the truck bed. But there is a dang good reason I keep this stuff!!!

wallenba
01-31-2014, 02:24 AM
Amazing, what a little bit of ice and snow can do to an area not prepared for that kind of weather. Up here in Michigan, we would have just called that day... Tuesday.

dagger dog
01-31-2014, 05:33 AM
Starting late fall,check the anti-freeze, all vehicle locks and door gaskets are given a shot of WD 40, a blanket, winter coat and boots, gloves are in the vehicles along with a chain, shovel, and a bag of sand or cat litter, ice scraper-snow broom.

The freezing rain and icy conditions, well you ain't going to do much unless you have chains. From the Ohio river south and the mighty Miss' east, there ain't enough snow pack to run chains with out cutting them up, so you just have to take it all in stride. 4WD-AWD does have some advantage on ice, but make sure maintain that stopping distance.

Get out of the sack early, look out the window, put on your long johns, layer up, go start the car, eat a do-nut grab the lunch box and some hot Joe and hit the bricks. if it's gonna happen while your at work make sure you take a piece of card board to cover the windshield.

Bad winter days take away 1-2 hours of sleep, just getting to and from work, it's a fact of life for anyone that lives and works in the snow belt.

Artful
01-31-2014, 08:15 PM
Get out of the sack early, look out the window, put on your long johns, layer up, go start the car, eat a do-nut grab the lunch box and some hot Joe and hit the bricks. if it's gonna happen while your at work make sure you take a piece of card board to cover the windshield.

In Oregon we would get mixed snow/sleet/rain/slush - I always used scrap of carpet as it doubled as traction device.

MtGun44
01-31-2014, 11:43 PM
Black ice here in KC this PM. Drove home slowly and made it OK.

Bill