PDA

View Full Version : Annealing and case prep questions

Typecaster
12-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Just picked up about 2000 very clean, fired .308 Win. cases for little more than a song. There were about 150+ Hornady match; all the rest are Federal commercial—I'm pretty sure—marked FC .308 Win. and don't have staked primers. There are no scratches like they've been resized, and they passed the bent paper clip test—no obvious thinning ahead of the web. There is no swelling like they were fired in anything with an oversize chamber...and will chamber easily in my No. 1 without being resized. I think maybe I struck brass.

With the price of cases going up, I don't want to screw up when I process this hoard. The goal is for long-term storage—not for immediate loading. And with that many with the same headstamp, I'd like to make them last as long as possible. My usual sequence would be:
1. Resize & deprime
2. Trim to length
3. Chamfer & deburr
4. Clean primer pocket
5. Tumble clean & bag

I have two questions:
1. Should I anneal the necks now as a matter of course? I don't know for sure that they haven't been reloaded before.
2. I have standard RCBS FL dies. Should I get a bushing-type sizer for the initial resizing, or would that be appropriate for future reloading?

Wow, I love this hobby. The thrill of the chase...the blood...the expense...and that's just scrounging for supplies!

felix
12-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Do NOT anneal answers question 1. Question two is a little more questionable. Only trim the case after being FIRED hard in the gun the case is actually destined for. Only check for maximum case length after and when the cartridge is LOADED. Neck length has little bearing resistance, if any, when being compared to the compression of the neck onto the bullet/boolit. ... felix