PDA

View Full Version : OOPS, Don't Do THAT Again!!

Foto Joe
01-30-2014, 08:19 AM
On Tuesday the Big Brown Truck arrived with my new Lee Pro 4 20 pound pot and a couple of other goodies. Upon opening the box I violated the man code by actually reading the instructions then set about getting the new bottom pour situated on the bench and ready to go. As with all things "New" there is definitely a learning curve with this thing. Over all I like it and things move along quickly but there are a couple of "Note to Self" items I'll share.

Since first visiting Larry Gibson a couple of months ago I've gotten in the habit of running more than one mold when casting. Since I thought that I knew what I was doing I did exactly that by setting up a 429-214 and a 452-200, I probably should have stuck to just one mold for the first attack as it turned out, apparently I don't multi-task well on new things. While juggling two molds I was also trying to figure out the temp control and keep it constant. At some point in time things cooled off enough that the bottom pour spout got just a little too cool and decided to take a break. Although I DID read the instructions I DIDN'T bother to bring a paperclip out with me so after fiddling with it a little bit I gave up and went in search of the magic roto-rooter paperclip. Upon my return I then went to battle with my bifocals trying to hit that little hole with an equally little paperclip while my head is all cocked to the side wearing welding gloves no less. During the battle I made the mistake of adjusting the valve upward in attempt to get the paperclip far enough in to clear the cooled lead. (Oh yeah, I did try the BBQ lighter trick but my lighter is on its last legs.) Unfortunately at some point in time during this adjustment I ran the thing up and out of its threads but failed to notice. Well....when the paperclip finally slid through I says to myself "Self, that wasn't too bad once I actually found the hole", then removed the paperclip and VIOLA!! We have lead!! Given that I'm not a complete idiot I had of course put my little tart pan under the spout which was happily catching the molten lead as it exited but when I went to readjust the flow using that itty bitty slotted screw head on top I once again went to battle with my bifocals and when I finally got the screwdriver in it realized that I'd run it off the threads. Now with one eye on the tart pan rapidly filling and the other on that stupid screw slot, THE RACE WAS ON!! As you can see from the photo I did manage to get it stopped but I was definitely having visions of scrounging up a hack saw later in the day.

All in all I like this thing and my learning curve will continue to steepen I'm sure. I just figured that I would share what I can now grin about.

gray wolf
01-30-2014, 09:06 AM
Very easy predicament to get ones self into, your not alone by any means.
I have multiple T-shirts that say ( Yes I have lead art for sale )

ButterNutZ
01-30-2014, 09:21 AM
I had just about the same thing happened to me first time casting. Except I'm not as smart as you are and had nothing to catch the molten lead. That clean up job was no fun!

Blammer
01-30-2014, 09:44 AM
FYI, a lyman ingot mould will fit nicely under there and then you can move it to the next ingot if needed... ask me how i know....

also keep a few "cold" ingots handy, if it's running away turn it off drop in the cold ingots and it'll freeze it up quick.

Thumbcocker
01-30-2014, 09:58 AM
And they say boolit casting isn't excitng.

Dale53
01-30-2014, 10:01 AM
My RCBS potd have the spout out in the open. If I get the temperature too low, the flow stops due to the spout freezing up. I keep a propane torch handy and simply heat the spout for near instant relief. I keep an ingot mould under my spout at all times ("been there, done that and have the t-shirt"...).

My adjustment screw on the valve is kept loose. As the pot level falls when casting, I finger adjust it to keep the flow constant.

FWIW
Dale53

Foto Joe
01-30-2014, 12:12 PM
My ingot mold is back in Wyoming as I didn't plan on doing any smelting, that in and of itself is another "Note to Self". The tart pan was confiscated from my wife, she loves me more than I irritate her.

The cold ingot trick will be filed away in my memory bank, hopefully I can locate that memory when not if I need it.

Scharfschuetze
01-30-2014, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the tips guys!

I just upgraded to the Lee 20 pound pot this winter as my old 10 pot is now getting a bit long in the tooth. As I usually recoil from new things, I haven't actually used it yet; but when I do, I will keep all of the above in mind.

R.M.
Make sure that "cold ingot" is at least warmed up a bit, else you'll have lead spouting up instead of down.

Larry Gibson
Joe

We going to smooth that SAA action and shorten the cylinder pin?

Larry Gibson

Scharfschuetze
01-30-2014, 12:51 PM
Deleted.

Duplicate post.

Walter Laich
01-30-2014, 01:22 PM
I do this now and then just to keep my heart beating. Course I lead a dull life

milrifle
01-30-2014, 01:33 PM
Sometimes, the paper clip trick doesn't work. The spout is too cool to force the clip through. When this happens, I fill a ladle with molten lead and hold it under the pot and let the spout stick down into it for a few seconds. Usually, I hold the valve open while I do this. When the ladle runs over, I know the clog has melted out.

rr2241tx
01-30-2014, 01:46 PM
If you feel the need to enlarge the hole in the spout, Drill from the Inside after removing the spout from the pot. It actually works much better with a larger hole in the spout if you're pouring heavy bullets but you can cause yourself a lot of grief learning all the ways not to enlarge the hole.

fredj338
01-30-2014, 02:15 PM
I have been using a Lee bp 20# for years, never had the need to jamb anything into the pour spout. If it freezes up, just turn the pot up one # & wait a bit, it will start flowing again. I also don't fiddle with the temp setting once it's up & running. I add metal as I cast to keep the pot temp reasonably uniform, never letting the pot get less than half full.

deerspy
01-30-2014, 04:25 PM
rr2241tx, what size drill due you use I have a new 4-20 lee and was going to lap it a little to start with when I took the flow rod out and looked in the hole it looks like they did not go all the way through it has an lip at bottom, thinking it need drill run through it to make it same size all the way.

uscra112
01-30-2014, 05:30 PM
Since I use only a ladle, I am insufferably smug reading this. . . . .:bigsmyl2:

DRNurse1
01-30-2014, 05:47 PM
Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. Heard that somewhere else and me thinks that going slow at the beginning of the learning curve might be the right choice. Glad the hacksaw managed to stay in the shop (this time).

dverna
01-30-2014, 07:46 PM
Some really good ideas guys.

Don Verna

TXGunNut
01-31-2014, 12:35 AM
Guess I missed the paper clip trip. When my drip-o-matic freezes up I set the mould up top to keep it hot, drop the culls and sprues back in the pot and take a break.

jonas302
01-31-2014, 12:47 AM
specialty spout cleaning tool

tomme boy
01-31-2014, 04:08 AM
Two things I do. First,when I feel like I have the flow at a point that I like, I put a hose clamp around the rod and the adjustment screw. It will never pop up on you again. Second, I keep my propane torch close by. You only have to hit the spout for about a second. It will flow right away. Another tip is to get a set of torch head cleaning tips. Bend the one you need at a 90 degree angle and use a pair of needle nose pliers to push the tip up into the spout. The pliers keep you away from the lead. And the tip will clean the spout if you get anything in it.

h8dirt
01-31-2014, 07:43 AM
Ha! All of us with this pot have had the same experience, I'd bet. The flow adjustment "fittings" (I use that word very loosely) are not very robust. You really must also be careful not to let the adjustment screw head slip out of that little notch in the valve stem or you'll lose control completely -- that's what happened to me. The best defense, as has been mentioned here, is to run your pot a little less than full, have a small catch pan ready and have some ingots ready to chill the melt -- and pull the plug!

tomme boy
01-31-2014, 09:46 AM
Like I said, put a hose clamp around the rod and the adjustment screw and it will never happen again.

Foto Joe
01-31-2014, 11:00 AM
tomme boy I think you're gonna have to put up a picture 'cause I'm not getting the idea that your talking about either.

All in all I'm very impressed with the Lee Pro 4, it obviously isn't as nice as a Lyman bottom pour but for my purposes I think it will work out nice.

tomme boy
01-31-2014, 02:29 PM

tomme boy
01-31-2014, 02:38 PM
To adjust, just loosen the clamp, adjust screw. Put the clamp back on. Just tighten it enough to keep them together, but loose enough so you can take a flat blade to turn the rod if it starts to drip. This also helps if you have a drippy pot. Don't know why, but mine used to drip all the time. Now the only time it drips is if the screw on the top that guides the whole thing up and down

Foto Joe
01-31-2014, 02:44 PM
Okay, now I understand what you're doing. So far I've got a few hundred boolits through this thing (2-cav molds) and she's running good. I'm working on casting 500 .401's for a guy that offered to trade 'em for a Lyman Big Dipper pot almost new plus the Lyman .401 mold and handles. As soon as I finish those I'll be looking to swap the mold for something that I use like a .452 or .429. In the meantime I'm learning to use an iron mold instead of the Lee aluminums, those Lyman molds are HEAVY!!

Cadillo
02-01-2014, 01:41 AM
I just fell back in love with my Dutch oven and ladle.