PDA

View Full Version : How and where to sell his guns

Handloader109
01-29-2014, 08:54 PM
Hi guys, I'm pretty new here and have an interesting situation that I'd like to get some opinions about.

First a bit of background. BIL is a OTR truck driver. He married a lady last year. She has a 12 yr old that was staying with her ex. Unfortunately the ex had developed cancer and passes away this week. The youngun will be staying with her mother going forward. The ex was a pretty serious gun collector from what I'm told, (along with some other items of value).

The issue is providing for his daughter in the future, and insuring that her father's valuables are converted to cash for her as an inheritance. As the ex's abode is not very substantial and is not a residence that will be available for a permanent residence and that my BIL and wife were on the road together with no permanent residence either, there is no good place to store or safeguard the guns for a long term and should (I think) be sold and $ held for daughter's inheritance.

How and where should these items be sold? It will be hard to do online thru one of the gun sites as BIL is OTR, pawn is low return, is there a better method? Or should my BIL rent a small storage building and store these items? (not good option in my opinion) I'd sell for him but I'm 500 miles away.

Opinions? or should I just butt out and let them do what they want?

I don't own many guns right now and they amount to a very small amount of my wealth, but I'd not want my wife to give them away either.

Thanks for the input!
John

bhn22
01-29-2014, 09:03 PM
Set up a table at a local gun show and sell them. Make certain you understand the firearms transfer laws before you do this. If possible, pay somebody from one of the local gun shops to work the tables with you. Research the gun values carefully to avoid selling too cheaply, or pricing yourselves out of the market.

AkMike
01-29-2014, 09:24 PM
You're worrying about the wrong thing..
Where is the daughter going to live?
Surely not in a truck?

starmac
01-29-2014, 10:04 PM
LOL That was my thought too. 500 miles is not a big hop for a trucker to bring them to you over a weekend off. Then the options open up. List on here for one.

contender1
01-29-2014, 10:14 PM
Have the BIL look for a gun dealer who is honest, and will sell on consignment. I have one locally who will handle estates for 15% of the final sale value. He will appraise the guns, give a written estimate of current market value, WITH THE UNDERSTANDING that he is guessing as to what the final sales prices will be. Then, he makes copies of all sales as he sells many via the internet sites. He deducts the costs to sell, and then gets his commission. If any firearms get sold locally, he makes copies of sales receipts to show the customer how much is received.

Usually a smaller dealer can do this type of service easily. Mine does mostly gunsmithing work, but also sells some guns! Great guy & honest.

onceabull
01-29-2014, 10:28 PM
There are a # of reputable vendors on GunBroker & GunAuctions( nee Auction Arms) who advertise the services these folks need.. also Almost all the items sold @ Gunrunner Auctions are consignments to that firm... Just look for someone close enough so that shipping is not a burden...Onceabull

wv109323
01-29-2014, 10:43 PM
Unless you know the market value, I would not go the gun show route. It would probably take several shows to sell all the guns and get decent prices. There are numerous places that will buy gun collections but they have to make money so they don't give top dollar. The best would be to get some one local that would sell on commission. A good dealer would know where he could get top dollar for a particular firearm.. There are probably be guns that would bring top dollar locally and others would need to be put on auction sites. A good dealer would know where and how much of gun would be worth. I would get the firearms in my procession ASAP. Firearms of all things have a way of disappearing quickly.

Handloader109
01-29-2014, 10:46 PM
No, Mother is going to have to find living arrangements for her and her daughter. Changes their outlook a lot on what she and my BIL were just getting started doing. Good advice, I think that them getting table at next show is not in the cards, no time for him to do it and work. Finding broker is maybe best option. Bringing gun to me in his truck is a federal offense. He can't put weapon legally in the truck, and especially multiples. (and I really don't want to deal with them as I have little experience with guns other than strictly buying retail)

starmac
01-29-2014, 10:57 PM
I have carried guns in trucks all my life and still do, even multiples at times when moving from down south through canada to here. Who told you it is a federal offense??

429421Cowboy
01-29-2014, 10:59 PM
Most locally owned gunshops here do consignment, and are particularly happy to help with a collection rather than a single gun since it simplifies things, they make more in the long run, and it fills the shelves. Figure 10% or so for the fees. That way you or your BIL don't have the worry of transfers or any of that, the guns are sitting on the shelf safe and selling themselves for you rather than you listing them and fielding calls and questions. That is what I would do in a situation like this, since they are safe and locked up in the care of the dealer and not yours/BIL's problem if anything happens to them. Good luck to you!

01-29-2014, 11:09 PM
Some auction houses are FFL and can move them. Shop around. Ask several gun guys about who is and who isn't reputable.

starmac
01-29-2014, 11:22 PM
If your BIl is not a gun guy, I would hate to shop around on short notice for an honest dealer to handle them, but surely there are members in the area that knows of dealers that would handle it on consignment.

jcwit
01-29-2014, 11:26 PM
At this point who is the lawful owner of the firearms?

AK Caster
01-30-2014, 12:32 AM
Take some really good photos and list them on gunbrokers with no reserve and a 14 day auction. This will give them 50 state exposure and command the highest prices.
For the most part gun shows and buddies will just try to low ball you to get them for nothing. It will only take 15-20 minutes to list on gunbrokers.

country gent
01-30-2014, 12:47 AM
Right now the guns and everything is a part of his estate, I would first check with a lawyer and find out what can be done legally and How it has to be done. You need to check and see if there was a will also that has his wishes stated. If there is alot an auction on a weekend isnt all bad the auctioneer will get a percentage andd Firearms are a big draw especially if there a popular model or collectables. Tools are also a big draw at auctions, as are antiques. You really need to know the full spectrum of his estate, Have it apprasied and talk to auctioneers that deal with estates. Ive seen modern firearms bring more than new cost at auctions. But first you need to find out the estate laws and what can be done. Gun shows, internet sales consighnment sales can become a long drawn out deal. An aution can sell everything from tools to firearms to household to cars, ANd its done and over with in a weekend or two

jonp
01-30-2014, 01:15 AM
You're worrying about the wrong thing..
Where is the daughter going to live?
Surely not in a truck?
Yeah, I am kinda confused on that. If your wife is coming off of the road then keep the firearms.

jonp
01-30-2014, 01:17 AM
No, Mother is going to have to find living arrangements for her and her daughter. Changes their outlook a lot on what she and my BIL were just getting started doing. Good advice, I think that them getting table at next show is not in the cards, no time for him to do it and work. Finding broker is maybe best option. Bringing gun to me in his truck is a federal offense. He can't put weapon legally in the truck, and especially multiples. (and I really don't want to deal with them as I have little experience with guns other than strictly buying retail)

Absolutely NOT TRUE. This old canard just won't go away. I even had to stand up in orientation and correct a guy giving the company speal. He was not happy but after the break he did have the courtesy to tell everyone that I was right and it was not against the law but rather was a company policy.

jonp
01-30-2014, 01:19 AM
I have carried guns in trucks all my life and still do, even multiples at times when moving from down south through canada to here. Who told you it is a federal offense??

I have also bought guns in the mid-west and brought them through Canada home with me. Stop at customs and declare them, they come out and check the serial number, pay a fee (now) and off you go. This usually involved the customs guy (and one lady) sitting on my bunk talking hunting for a bit. As long as the firearms are legal in the jurisdiction you are traveling through and you are storing them in compliance with the law then there is no problem.

MT Gianni
01-30-2014, 07:54 PM

May be that he is hauling mail. That is the only thing i can think of.

Handloader109
01-30-2014, 08:58 PM
Good advice, thanks, probably no will, no current wife, one child who should inherite but getting lawyer involved is necessary. No, Bils ex will come off road. Maybe I should have said his co would not allow weapons, but I actually thought otr drivers could not possess. My bad. I have a bunch of things to say to bil, thanks guys.

Right now the guns and everything is a part of his estate, I would first check with a lawyer and find out what can be done legally and How it has to be done. You need to check and see if there was a will also that has his wishes stated. If there is alot an auction on a weekend isnt all bad the auctioneer will get a percentage andd Firearms are a big draw especially if there a popular model or collectables. Tools are also a big draw at auctions, as are antiques. You really need to know the full spectrum of his estate, Have it apprasied and talk to auctioneers that deal with estates. Ive seen modern firearms bring more than new cost at auctions. But first you need to find out the estate laws and what can be done. Gun shows, internet sales consighnment sales can become a long drawn out deal. An aution can sell everything from tools to firearms to household to cars, ANd its done and over with in a weekend or two

OBIII
01-31-2014, 12:49 AM
First step is to determine the legal status of the firearms? Can they be sold now or have to wait for probate.
2nd. Did he have a safe or safes? If yes, have them taken to a secure residence (Bil and Wife were looking for a place to live)
3rd. Get a complete list of model #'s, ser no.'s, and look around the internet GB, other gun auction/sale sites, to get a basic idea of value.
4th. If selling, find a "reputable" individual to handle it. I.e., someone who is familiar with the process, and will not be interested in taking advantage. Kind of hard to do, but someone knows someone.
Just do your best to try to help your BIL, Wife, and kid not get ripped off. As long as they can be secured, there should be no rush to sell.
Best of luck to all of you.

OB

jcwit
01-31-2014, 09:57 AM
First step is to determine the legal status of the firearms? Can they be sold now or have to wait for probate.
2nd. Did he have a safe or safes? If yes, have them taken to a secure residence (Bil and Wife were looking for a place to live)
3rd. Get a complete list of model #'s, ser no.'s, and look around the internet GB, other gun auction/sale sites, to get a basic idea of value.
4th. If selling, find a "reputable" individual to handle it. I.e., someone who is familiar with the process, and will not be interested in taking advantage. Kind of hard to do, but someone knows someone.
Just do your best to try to help your BIL, Wife, and kid not get ripped off. As long as they can be secured, there should be no rush to sell.
Best of luck to all of you.

OB

Best answer yet!

popper
01-31-2014, 02:08 PM
wait for probate - No will, there you go unless there is a NFA trust. Tell the BIL's WIFE to inventory all the estate and get a probate lawyer, else the court will do it for her and she probably won't get anything, she is the EX. She could only file as the daughter's parent. You also have to watch death expenses - let the estate pay. Don't think I would want to get caught with 'stolen' guns. Only stuff in a trust will bypass probate.

theperfessor
01-31-2014, 02:08 PM
I would suggest contacting an professional auctioneer with experience in selling firearms. There are several here in the midwest that do this. Some have national exposure, take bids in person and online. They take a % of the sale but you're sure all laws are followed, the sales take place in a timely fashion, and some will even store items for a while prior to sale.

searcher4851
01-31-2014, 04:34 PM
Finding out the legal status is the first thing to do. Everything else may just be spinning your wheels until that is ironed out.

starmac
01-31-2014, 04:38 PM
I would make sure they are secure, then worry about any legalities, but that is me.

dbosman
01-31-2014, 04:46 PM
Secure is good, but a arrest for possession of stolen property won't help anyone.
Legal status first.

GOPHER SLAYER
01-31-2014, 04:56 PM
If my experience is any help, you will never lay eyes on the guns. No matter what your knowledge may or may not be, some relative usually swoops in and muddies up the water. I have seen it play out that way too many times.

DRNurse1
01-31-2014, 05:13 PM
Just my $0.02, but if this is a 'serious collection' it might be better to put them in a safe and wait.

If the $$ are needed now, or if the cost of an appropriate safe is out of reach, maybe some of the collection needs liquidation.

But I have trouble seeing how selling a collection now would be wiser than holding on to them for future use/ sale.

Handloader109
02-02-2014, 11:35 AM
If my experience is any help, you will never lay eyes on the guns. No matter what your knowledge may or may not be, some relative usually swoops in and muddies up the water. I have seen it play out that way too many times.
Yep that is what my BIL is worried about along with them being stolen out of the home. No safe, not real security. The guy was almost always home, and the old house is about to fall in due to no maintenance over the past few years. We'll see. I don't have a lot of faith in good outcome.

scb
02-02-2014, 02:17 PM
FWIW around here almost any guns that are part of an even slightly well advertised estate auction sell for way more than they are worth.

FredBuddy
02-02-2014, 04:33 PM
I had a good experience selling a friend's collection thru Cabela's gun room. The family got roughly 60% of various values, and it was pretty much what my friend told them to expect if he died. He was very concerned about leaving the collection in the house if something happened to him, and left instructions for the son to call me and have me come and pick them up ASAP in the event of his death. I didn't have to continuously follow up with a consignment sale, either.

Depends what you need to accomplish.

In my own situation, I would be concerned about people "swooping down" on my wife, so I have made a rather detailed catalogue, with pictures, to guide her in the process.

You will do well.

WILCO
02-02-2014, 11:16 PM
At this point who is the lawful owner of the firearms?

That was my first thought. If there's no will, your BIL and wife have no business touching a damn thing. It's amazing how many people would rather ask legal questions on the internet than contact an Attorney. Simply amazing.

Handloader109
02-02-2014, 11:49 PM
That was my first thought. If there's no will, your BIL and wife have no business touching a damn thing. It's amazing how many people would rather ask legal questions on the internet than contact an Attorney. Simply amazing.
First of all I'm not about to sell or even get involved unless asked. All this is hypothetical, as guns are probably gone by now. His daughter would be first in line for all the stuff unless will is found and that is extremely unlikely. Second, isn't the Internet where we get all of our advice? I'm sure not paying a lawyer a red cent if I can avoid it. :)

WILCO
02-03-2014, 12:04 AM
Second, isn't the Internet where we get all of our advice?

That's like saying you get all of your load data from youtube.

WILCO
02-03-2014, 12:05 AM
First of all......

Oh yeah, forgot to say welcome to the forums. :)