PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Sizing Revisited

MSgtUSMC
12-09-2007, 11:38 PM
Thanks to all of you who responded to my request for help with a bullet sizing problem. I took the advise of 1Shirt, Bullshop, and Larry Gibson and bought a Lee push through die sizer in .309 and a Lyman sizing die in .310 for my lube/sizer. I lubed and sized with the Lee and then used the lube/sizer to seat gas check and relube with allox in the Lyman. Works good but messy. Next time I will roll the bullets on a case lube pad and then pass through the Lee thereby doing away with the need to use the messy Lee lube.
To 1Shirt and Corporal Martin I say "Semper Fi." In the "Old Corps" (1953-1975) we said "Gung Ho". In Chinese that means "Working Together" which is what we do at Cast Boolits. To Crowbeaner I say "You're Welcome" for thanking me for my service. I only wish that those of us who served in Korea and Vietnam could have received the support our troops are receiving now.
I cast my first bullets in 1969 on the kitchen stove with a pot and dipper. Even though I've done it on and off for a long time I'm amazed at the wealth of knowledge there is on the Cast Boolits site. You guys are great and I'm proud to be a member. I'm sure I'll be asking for more help.

Curly James
12-10-2007, 12:05 AM
Instead of using the liquid alox or the pad method I simply pour a little Murphy's Oil Soap into a small container of water then then soak the boolits for a coupe of minutes while stirring them around in the water soap mixture. They are lubed more than enough to size using the Lee push through die. The Lee will also seat the gaschecks while sizing the boolit. Easy to then run them trough the Lyman lubersizer. Good luck and take care...CJ.

jh45gun
12-10-2007, 12:08 AM
I guess I missed something why not just get a Lyman .309 die and do it all in one step?

S.R.Custom
12-10-2007, 12:10 AM
Spray 'em with Hornady "One Shot" before pushin' 'em thru. Takes but a couple seconds to do hundreds... :-D

shotstring
12-10-2007, 02:32 AM
You might also try having a tin of Imperial Sizing Wax - lots of competition shooters won't use anything else to lube their rifle brass because it is so quick and without fuss or muss. Just rub a little bit on your fingertips every so often and then just pick up the boolits normally and size them. A little lube goes a long way - you don't need very much at all.

MSgtUSMC
12-10-2007, 05:19 PM
To jh45gun: I had been doing that but the bullets were all "shaved" on one side.

mtgrs737
12-10-2007, 05:37 PM
I have used Hornady Unique case lube for 30 years, it comes in a tubb and you use your fingers like the Imperial stuff. Just be sure to use it sparingly on the case neck and shoulder area or you may dent the shoulder from too much trapped lube.

garandsrus
12-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Riccochet once recommended soapy water to lube the boolits going through a Lee sizer. He said it worked great and is of course easy to clean off!

John

Ricochet
12-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Yep, it works! I've also used straight Murphy's Oil Soap.

creekwalker
12-10-2007, 11:34 PM
Really good information folks, hadn't heard of the Murphy's Oil soap trick. Will add that one and the trick about using the Lee push through sizer if I have a similiar problem.

Creekwalker

Char-Gar
12-11-2007, 12:45 PM
I size and seat the gas checks with one pass using either a Lee die or a Lyman/RCBS die held in a Buckshot made gizmo in the top of my reloading press. I will put a little case lube on the first couple of bullets and then just shove them through dry. No problems.

I then lube in a Lyman 450 machine.

I have no problems seating and crimping gas checks in a Lee die. I do anneal all of my gas checks. I am not a fan of Lee Liquid Alox. My experience with it, has caused me more problems that it has solved.