PDA

View Full Version : Winter on the chesapeake Bay

27judge
01-27-2014, 07:54 PM
94795 ITs winter on the Seneca River in the upper Chesapeake Bay. The river has 4-8 inches ice , first time in 8-10 years. The open water is from the ice eater I have on the end of the pier to keep the ice off the poles. We had 2 bald Eagles on the ice this afternoon with a good size fish between them . That's my 27 JUDGE sport fishing center console on the right and my sons 35 ft. DUFFY work boat on the left. The tan colored boxes are for soft crabs and live eels later this spring, summer, fall. A real pretty sunset thought you guys would enjoy. Come on Spring KEN

mikeym1a
01-27-2014, 08:22 PM
Really nice sunset. thanks.............

ph4570
01-27-2014, 08:31 PM
Looks like a sweet setup.

quilbilly
01-27-2014, 08:39 PM
Any stripers head up your river? Beautiful pic

beagle
01-27-2014, 08:40 PM
Was at Aberdeen Proving Ground in the late 70s for about 5 years. One year the bay froze over for several weeks. Man, I don't miss that weather. Not weather for "body booting" for sure./beagle

27judge
01-27-2014, 08:46 PM
quilbilly strippers do come in the river in the late fall they like my soft crab box overflows. beagle Im a old hand at body booting for many years, now its a little hard on these 75 year old bones but man what a time we had in the "old booting days" brings back some fond memories tks KEN

gbrown
01-27-2014, 10:16 PM
Some pretty pics for sure. Beautiful view. Glad I'm not there. Me and the white stuff don't gee-haw.:lol:

xs11jack
01-27-2014, 10:54 PM
Was at Aberdeen Proving Grounds in 65,66 and that winter it snowed so hard the snow filled all the engine compartments full and we couldn't start anything. The old WWII barracks furnaces couldn't keep up with the cold and we slept with 3 layers of clothes with jackets over that. It was a miserable week. Almost like my home state of Wisconsin.
Ole Jack

John Allen
01-27-2014, 11:00 PM
Ken, I know what you mean. It has been a rough winter. I live on a cliff 100 feet above a creek. The wind blowing up the hill is killing me.

mnkyracer
01-28-2014, 12:44 AM
Do you or your son do any sea duck hunting?

27judge
01-28-2014, 01:18 AM
I have not done any sea duck shooting for some years . I used to go out of Tilman Island at least 3 times a week. WE used a 26 ft south wester open boat, man it was a ball .In the past few years I have kind of got away from hunting due to health issues. I have been on the Chesapeake Bay for all of my 75 years. I think I have seen some of the great Water foul Shooting the Bay area has to offer. It is a great sport. And in many cases when the conditions are at thier worst the birds fly the best. It gets very exciting . My Sons and grandsons want to put together a Sea Duck rig for next year using that 35 Duffy it should be like old times .But them young boys can do all the work. Now ill watch tks KEN

mnkyracer
01-29-2014, 02:21 AM
I normally do 1 or 2 trips to Tilghman for sea ducks every year with Chris Sherman. It didn't happen this year, but it did help the taxidermy bill. LOL. It was great coming home with blackheads and oysters right off the boat. great now i"m getting hungry.

Bill*
01-29-2014, 10:26 AM
And Norton would say "hey ralphie boy, try some of these here ersters"

27judge
01-29-2014, 10:28 AM
I went out with P T Hambelton , he has a sea food business in Bozman . We do a lot of business in Tilghman and my oldest son keeps his crab pot rig there and works out of there. Blackheads have really come on this year over in Back River and Middle River. I have quite a few of them down at my pier in the open water from the ice eater. Many years ago we had a load of Canvas backs but they only show up in March now tks ken