PDA

View Full Version : help oal

Benjlan
01-26-2014, 09:59 PM
Hey guys,

I just bought a new mold, the Lee 125gr rn and I am having problems with overall length. After PC and sizing I seated the boolit to 1.110 as I usually do and did the drop test into my chamber. It did not fit so I kept seating deeper till it fit. It fits at 1.0785, this seems a little deep what do you guys think.

Glock 34
lone wolf barrel
BULLSEYE 4.2 grs

leadman
01-26-2014, 10:59 PM
The PC causes the boolit to be larger in diameter then when you size it the boolit increases in length. Measure the diameter of the boolit before and after PCing. This will tell you how thick your PC is. This thickness will also be added the the nose of the boolit causing the ogive to be larger in diameter farther up the nose..

Benjlan
01-26-2014, 11:02 PM
But at this depth am I going to unsafe pressure?

KTM400
01-27-2014, 10:09 AM
I had that same issue with that boolit from that mold in a 34 with a LW bbl and a 17 as well. Yes you need to seat it deeper to get it to chamber. I had to go to about where you are now. It can be done safely. Lessen your powder charge, seat to a depth where it chambers cleanly. And test it. I use a chrono because I have to make minimum PF for matches. I was able to get it to function in the gun and reach the velocity I needed.

I was using 3.8 and 4.0 grains of WST. Not the best choice of powder but it was all I could find at the time and I bought a 4 pound jug. If you don't need to make PF start low, work up a load that will cycle your pistol at the OAL you need and call it good.

jcv63
03-21-2014, 11:53 AM
I had the same problem but my OAL was 1.02 to get it to chamber and still had the occasional round not chamber. I got tired of messing with it so I bought an NOE Mold.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=334

mdi
03-23-2014, 11:29 AM
I doubt there would be any pressure problems unless you are already at the max. powder charge. I would shoot 'em when seated correctly.

Freightman
03-24-2014, 12:31 PM
OK had the same problem with my 30-06 mold so I took some hi-temp 2000 degree paint and painted the nose section of the mold let dry for two days and did it again. Walla the boolits fit now and the paint stayed on, make sure you clean the cavities good with acetone and don't get it on anything but the nose section.