PDA

View Full Version : Wildlife

btroj
01-26-2014, 07:31 PM
http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p733/Btroj/image_zps0a6197e9.jpg (http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/Btroj/media/image_zps0a6197e9.jpg.html)

He was on the patio tonight eating stale bread my wife threw out. Sure wish he was around during the season......

CastingFool
01-26-2014, 09:13 PM
They know when it's safe to come out. Love watching deer come in my yard.

cbrick
01-26-2014, 09:19 PM
I've always wondered if there is someone giving them calendars, they always seem to know the dates huh? Do ya suppose the game warden would buy it if ya told him that ya forgot to turn the page on your calendar and you where just getting ready for Christmas dinner? [smilie=1:

Rick

MUSTANG
01-26-2014, 09:32 PM
No bucks; but we have 5 Does that come to the Front Porch of the House in the early morning, late afternoon, and late at night. Every few days I pull some hay from the large stack, and I keep a sled full of hay beside the house to feed the horses, and the deer take their cut. Have to keep a pellet rifle at the front door, when the # eating at the sled exceeds 5, it's time to send a few pellets down range at some deer butts. Works for a few days until I need to resume the cycle. The 5 does seem to accept the occasional pellet as cost of doing business.

btroj
01-26-2014, 09:34 PM
Boing like sitting here watching TV and having a buck at the door staring in at you. Sometimes it is a groups of turkeys.
I don't even live in the boonies, I'm right in town!

MaryB
01-26-2014, 10:04 PM
I have a woodchuck that stares in the door in the summer, so far he has evaded traps so next spring he is going to get lead poisoning

BNE
01-26-2014, 10:31 PM
I grew up on 20 acres. No deer was ever seen when "the kids" were still living at home. Afte we moved out and my parents quit keeping a dog around, they started seeing deer. Mom thought it was all cute until they started eating HER FLOWERS!!

Now she demands that one of us come out and shoot Bambi or she will....

wgr
01-27-2014, 12:30 AM
I grew up on 20 acres. No deer was ever seen when "the kids" were still living at home. Afte we moved out and my parents quit keeping a dog around, they started seeing deer. Mom thought it was all cute until they started eating HER FLOWERS!!

Now she demands that one of us come out and shoot Bambi or she will....
mom,s are like that:grin:

starmac
01-27-2014, 01:31 AM
If that buck insisted on standing on the porch looking in, I would be tempted to get the best slingshot I could find , and invite him into the freezer. lol

GaryN
01-27-2014, 01:46 AM
Awww, you wouldn't want to shoot it in your yard anyway. That wouldn't be no fun.

wlc
01-27-2014, 03:07 AM
Had a moose look in the living room window once. Scared the bejeebers outta me when I stood up to go get something to drink and there she was.

That's a nice buck. I miss seeing them around. All we got here are those ugly ole moose.

gtgeorge
01-27-2014, 05:59 AM
Yep they definitely have calendars. I went out hog hunting Saturday to brave the cold and while only saw one hog I saw deer on three different occasions. And 2 flocks of turkey. BTW that is a nice back porch view.

farmerjim
01-27-2014, 08:32 AM
To a farmer : Deer = Rat with antlers. Wife does not want them near the house and I do not want them near my crops. They cost me thousands yearly in lost crops even with a 9 foot fence.

CastingFool
01-27-2014, 09:23 AM
Awww, you wouldn't want to shoot it in your yard anyway. That wouldn't be no fun.

It is fun, ask me how I know.

osteodoc08
01-27-2014, 10:14 AM
I love the spring when things get active. Ill stroll through the woods and sit and watch. I had an awesome DSLR Nikon with huge telephoto lens that I'd take with me. Ex got it. Now I have an almost as awesome one. I'm gonna take it and the kids out looking for sheds soon.

osteodoc08
01-27-2014, 10:16 AM
To a farmer : Deer = Rat with antlers. Wife does not want them near the house and I do not want them near my crops. They cost me thousands yearly in lost crops even with a 9 foot fence.

Better deer than hogs.

blackthorn
01-27-2014, 12:15 PM
I have counted as many as 15 Deer on the back lawn, just outside my "office" window. Last summer I glanced up and there was a spike buck with his nose up against the window looking at the computer. He seemed facinated by the movement. We also have had a half grown bear cub looking in at the computer. I scared him off and looked around a bit and sure enough, there was Mama bear comming down the hill from the forrest that borders our land. Even though they eat her flowers, I have been told NO DEER hunting in the backyard! After ten years, Gail still thinks their cute!

mold maker
01-27-2014, 12:21 PM
I was 50 before I ever saw a deer in the wild. Now they're everywhere. Same with ground hogs and turkeys. We used to travel 40-100 miles to hunt deer. Now I could shoot them from my bed.

CastingFool
01-27-2014, 12:28 PM
One summer, when our mulberry trees were loaded with fruit, there were 4 longbeards, 3 hens and about 10 chicks visiting our yard on almost a daily basis. Sometimes, they would be in our yard twice a day. One day, I looked out the window and the turkeys were out there, but three of them had flown onto the mulberry trees, trying to get more berries. All that walking around was causing a lot of berries to drop to the ground, and the turkeys that hadn't flown up, were just going crazy gobbling up all those berries. It was comical watching them. Another time, I caught a woodchuck climbing up one of the mulberry trees. Never got past 6 ft up. A high speed lead berry caught him, and stopped him dead on his tracks.

farmerjim
01-27-2014, 05:56 PM
Better deer than hogs.

Amen!
Hogs run up and down the creek about 3 miles from me, If they ever move up here I am out of business.
I can keep the deer damage down to a manageable amount, but Hogs would be too much for me.

MT Gianni
01-27-2014, 07:42 PM
4 years ago I watched 125 cow Elk with maybe a raghorn or two head N from the Helena Airport towards the Elkhorn Mountains. I have no idea where they had hidden. The season closed two days earlier. That one still gets me. Another one is the 150 class Whitetail buck I spooked out of a vacant yard when I turned the utilities on ten years ago. It was the third week of the season and he had a vacant yard to hide in in Missoula.

starmac
01-27-2014, 09:49 PM

My freezer never asks where stuff comes from, I don't think I ever heard my skillet ask either. lol

ACrowe25
02-05-2014, 10:13 PM
Boing like sitting here watching TV and having a buck at the door staring in at you. Sometimes it is a groups of turkeys.
I don't even live in the boonies, I'm right in town!

They're clearly interested in whatever you're watching! Lol

ACrowe25
02-05-2014, 10:13 PM
My freezer never asks where stuff comes from, I don't think I ever heard my skillet ask either. lol

I'm the same way. All eats the same whether I drove 500 miles or walked 50 feet.

DLCTEX
02-06-2014, 09:15 PM
Our small town has deer and turkeys galore. It's funny to see out of state turkey hunters eyes pop when they look out the window of a local restaurant and see about 100 turkeys stroll by. I caught a young poult when it tried to burrow through a chain link fence next door last fall. Tossed him up and let him fly away.