PDA

View Full Version : Range Finder Recommendations

waksupi
12-09-2007, 02:14 PM
I'm in the market for a range finder, that won't break the bank. I'm looking for something that will range to 1000 yards. What are your experiences, and recommendations?

fishhawk
12-09-2007, 02:22 PM
well for you i would recomend useing a long rope with knots every 3 ft, sling it out pull up tight then count the knots:bigsmyl2:

waksupi
12-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Can't count that high!

fishhawk
12-09-2007, 02:49 PM
actualy i got a bushnell yardage pro goes out to 450 on a reflective object and game out to 250 Tilly and mouse used them this year for elk all they do is range a object and if the game is closer they know it's range fairly close, but for your muzzle loader you need a range finder?

montana_charlie
12-09-2007, 02:55 PM
I have been using a Swarovski Laser Guide 8x30 (borrowed from a well-off friend) and it's a dandy.
CM

waksupi
12-09-2007, 03:11 PM
Steve, we do the mountain sniper course here, BPCR, plus varmint shooting. Flintlocks don't do everything!

actualy i got a bushnell yardage pro goes out to 450 on a reflective object and game out to 250 Tilly and mouse used them this year for elk all they do is range a object and if the game is closer they know it's range fairly close, but for your muzzle loader you need a range finder?

PatMarlin
12-09-2007, 03:18 PM
I've got a pair of those Leupold "Wind River" binocs but the range I think is 850 yrds. Very nice to look through glass though. I think they're are a great peice of all in one equipment... :Fire: :coffee:

crowbuster
12-09-2007, 03:54 PM
I've got the bushnell 1500 elite with arc. Love it, has several modes for bow, rifle, bullseye, even a setting for brush. It gives a true yrds reading from a tree stand or up and down hill slopes.Would buy another. Works pretty good on p.d. mounds as well. C.B.

montana_charlie
12-09-2007, 04:15 PM
I've got a pair of those Leupold "Wind River" binocs
Pat,
I can't find any Leupold range-finding binoculars with the Wind River tag. Could you post the model number?
CM

Whaump 'em
12-09-2007, 04:30 PM
The Lieca works, and it's a cheap lesson in quality glass's power to gather light.

Bullshop
12-09-2007, 07:16 PM
When Bushnell first came out with the pro 1000 Tina got me one. Seems like that has been about 10 years now. It is one of the tools I use regularly. There are better ones but this one can tell me what I need to know usually beyond my range of ability to hit something.
On good reflective surfaces its very dependable even in poor conditions out to 600 to 700 yards. In perfect conditions I have gotten readings beyond 1000. This one my longest reading was aimed at a semi load of hay that was about at a 90% angle to me. I didnt know the thing would even do that. I have taken many readings off round hay bale at between 7 and 900 yards. Trees work good too. Things that dont work good are things that angle away from you like a snow or dirt bank. Things that stand verticle to the ground work good, like road signs, trees, buildings, power poles etc.
Seems like mine works best when it has a new battery and when there no direct sun light. For me thats all winter. I think Bushnell has improved thier line since I got mine but I do highly recomend them. As I said I know there are better ones but this one does all I need.
The short comming is I also have to carry a sepperate pair of bino's because the 6x of the pro 1000 is not enough and the opticle quality is not that good. As a ranging tool only I give it high marks.
BIC/BS

charger 1
12-10-2007, 07:31 AM
I've got the bushnell 1500 elite with arc. Love it, has several modes for bow, rifle, bullseye, even a setting for brush. It gives a true yrds reading from a tree stand or up and down hill slopes.Would buy another. Works pretty good on p.d. mounds as well. C.B.

Yep I would say this puppy for the bucks cant be beat. The problem you have waksupi with any rangefider is holding it on target at crazy long distances. I off handed a cow in a field one time with mine at near the thousand. It took like 20 tries and finally when I got it I think it was way more good luck than good management... Tripods a must past 7-800 I'd say depending on yer hand

freedom475
12-10-2007, 11:13 AM
I have two, one is a Bushnell yardage-pro 1000 the other is a lieca 1200.

Bushnel pro's-=cost, has many settings(rain,snow,zip scan,ect) you can read 200yrds in a blizard, works fairly well in low light, farthest reading was at night at 1278yrds! Will read very close for bow hunting. nice neopreme case.

Busnell cons= size, optic sux, dosen't work well in bright light(500yrd max)

Leica 1200 pros= lighted recticle, size, will read a LITTLE farther than the bushnell in bright light. optic quality is very good. In low light it will read WAAY out there.

Lieca 1200 cons= High cost, has only one setting(if its raining or snowing it will only read 17yrds) this really sux when hunting. with all its down falls, I still pack it over the Bushnell

Hope this helps

Freedom475

charger 1
12-10-2007, 12:14 PM
I have two, one is a Bushnell yardage-pro 1000 the other is a lieca 1200.

Busnell cons= size, optic sux, dosen't work well in bright light(500yrd max)

Freedom475

No hell in the wind either

Pathfinder1cav
12-10-2007, 02:08 PM
Waksupi,
I have the Busnell Elite (no arc) after reading a lot of comparisons (including comparing it to more expensive- Leica etc.)- love it! Ranged a cottonwood tree at 1650. Into the sun & softer small targets will range less. Generally good for 1000+

DLCTEX
12-10-2007, 09:12 PM
+1 on the yardage pro 1000, concur with above comments. Works well but can give odd readings that have proven to be weeds or tree saplings in between me and the target that I didn't see until I didn't believe the reading. It works through glass windows with no problems. I shot a doe at 191 yds. that I thought was further, but proved to be exact when I stepped it off. Dale

waksupi
12-10-2007, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the tips, guys. I'll look around the gun show this weekend, amongst all the beany babies, fantasy knives, and crystals.

shotstring
12-11-2007, 01:42 AM
Leica 1200 - would buy again in a heart-beat. I don't care for the binocular/range finder combinations as it makes for too large of a unit. In optics, both binoculars and rangefinders, you pretty much get what you pay for.

shotstring
12-11-2007, 01:46 AM
Leica 1200 - would buy again in a heart-beat. I don't care for the binocular/range finder combinations as it makes for too large of a unit. In optics, both binoculars and rangefinders, you pretty much get what you pay for. But water changes everything. Water can ruin even the best made optics - had it happen with an expensive set of binoculars so won't spend that much again on a set. But rangefinders aren't that expensive for the best, so a few hundred extra can often prove to be a wise investment.

C1PNR
12-13-2007, 04:26 PM
+ 1 for the Leica 1200 Scan. My Brother and I went together on one.

It didn't work very well for him on the golf course,[smilie=1: but I love it in the field.

waksupi
12-13-2007, 09:34 PM
I don't imagine I will go with a combination tool, as I have an excellent set of Kern Swiss military binoculars, that are the best I have ever owned. So, I will be looking for a stand alone unit.