PDA

View Full Version : Question on 454190 Ideal First Boolits Cast

jonp
01-26-2014, 04:50 PM
After lurking on the board and posting some in other forums I finally got everything together and I cast my first boolits today and have a small problem. I am using an Ideal 454190 single cavity which I got from a member here and 50/50 coww/pb with a little solder for the tin. I am getting a few good ones but 90% are not filling the base completely leaving it rounded instead of sharp and flat. The bullets drop from the mold like they are greased. A little shake and out they come.

The second is the melt. I used paraffin wax when melting down the coww and lead and used some sawdust when I was setting up to cast today. I skimmed but seem to keep getting a skim on top of the melt which at first is dark like carbon but then just looks like...skim. I am using a cast iron pot and a turkey fryer so I think it is hot enough although I do not have a thermometer which is on the "to buy list". I have the turkey fryer up full bore but maybe it still is not hot enough? It melts the ingots just fine.

Also, I could not find 50/50 solder which is what Larry suggested. All the store had was lead free solder of several types so I bought the one for tin, engine blocks etc. It does not say what is in it so maybe that is the problem?

Thanks

Dale53
01-26-2014, 05:54 PM
jonp;
You are probably overheating the bullet metal. My turkey fryer cannot be let run "full out" without overheating. I use a thermometer (highly recommended) to avoid that. When you overheat bullet metal, you actually create problems (more "crud" on top of the melt burning out the tin, etc). There is no need to run your temperature hotter than 650-725 degrees when casting. When smelting, I keep it around 650 degrees to avoid melting any zinc weights that I might have overlooked (zinc melts at 780 degrees).

FWIW
Dale53

jonp
01-26-2014, 07:26 PM
I had thought of it being too hot and pretty much baking the tin out. I was a little hesitant in that assumption as I am getting complete fill out of the mould except the base which is rounded.

GLL
01-26-2014, 10:28 PM
The 454190 1-cavity is a great mold and should produce perfect bullets !
The sprue plate may be too tight and not venting. Adjust so that the plate just begins to swing under its own weight and give it another try.
I assume you are using a ladle so you might try "pressure casting" as well !

http://www.fototime.com/720B35FD551CEF8/orig.jpg

Jerry

jonp
01-26-2014, 10:38 PM
Ah Ha Jerry! I have tried to read about everything on here I could but I don't recall seeing that anywhere. I have the sprue tightened down to where you can move it but it takes a little effort. I will try and loosen it up a little and see what happens. The couple of boolits that came out ok are perfect. I am indeed using a ladle. I will try the sprue first then move on

Thanks.

sljacob
01-27-2014, 12:09 AM
A couple more tips...keep the sprue plate hot, I like to pour a little extra melt on top of the plate after the cavity is full on the first couple of casts to heat it up.

I have a few molds that have a hard time filling out the bases at times, when they do I will keep pouring a little longer than normal after the cavity has filled up. and let the excess alloy drip off the side and back in the pot.

hope this helps

Jake

Dean D.
01-27-2014, 12:19 AM
Great advice so far. I'll add to Jake's comment by saying that I like to leave a fairly large "puddle" on the sprue plate. Dime size or there abouts. If you watch as the puddle cools you should see a divot or dimple form over where the hole is in the sprue plate. This is caused by the mould drawing material from the puddle as it cools. Try it, it may help cure your issues with fill out.

jonp
01-27-2014, 08:49 AM
A couple more tips...keep the sprue plate hot, I like to pour a little extra melt on top of the plate after the cavity is full on the first couple of casts to heat it up.

I have a few molds that have a hard time filling out the bases at times, when they do I will keep pouring a little longer than normal after the cavity has filled up. and let the excess alloy drip off the side and back in the pot.

hope this helps

Jake
Thanks, Jake. I am letting a little puddle onto the sprue to see if that is the problem but it didn't seem to do anything.

captaint
01-27-2014, 11:17 AM
jonp - Do what Dean D stated above. Also, when that dimple sucks down, it's time to cut the spure - right then. Mike

historicfirearms
01-27-2014, 11:23 AM
How does a guy get 1800 posts in under a year, and this is his first boolit cast? Not trying to be facetious, just curious.

Dean D.
01-27-2014, 11:37 PM
How does a guy get 1800 posts in under a year, and this is his first boolit cast? Not trying to be facetious, just curious.

Reading, learning and making sure you understand the process before you actually try doing something, a trait that I normally do not exhibit but admire those who do. I'm sure this is why Jonp's post count is where it is. I wish more folks would give it a try. [smilie=1:

jonp
01-28-2014, 01:07 AM

Reading, Reading Reading and asking questions. Also commenting on non-casting questions about powder, boolit loads, reloading, firearms etc.
I've been reloading for a number of years using commercial j-words and cast boolits and pretty much gave up on j-words my first box of cast.

jonp
01-31-2014, 01:00 PM
Ok, tried the suggestions given here and this is what my boolits look like. Any comments? I am adding tin but maybe not enough.

Ron in PA
01-31-2014, 01:12 PM
More Heat

GLL
01-31-2014, 06:04 PM
Get a thermometer and a hot plate !
Play with alloy temp and preheat the mold.

Just adding more tin is not the answer !

Jerry

paul edward
01-31-2014, 06:49 PM
Your mold and metal are not hot enough.

bhn22
01-31-2014, 07:06 PM
Your mold is cold, especially the sprue plate. The alloy freezes on the sprue plate before the cavity is full. Are you ladle casting or bottom pour? I once got bullets like that with a ladle that didn't hold enough lead to fill the cavity. As mentioned before, you appear to have an air lock at the sprue plate, but a tight sprue plate is only a small part of the situation.

Char-Gar
01-31-2014, 07:09 PM
Yep...look like a cold mould and/or cold alloy.

jonp
01-31-2014, 08:04 PM
Thx for the comments. I am using a hotplate and castiron pancake griddle to heat the mould. I ordered a thermometer but it has not gotten here yet. I also am casting a few boolits to heat the mould and putting a little on the sprue to heat it.

ive narrowed the problem down to a couple of things.

The sprue was too tight.
The solder i was using was not pb/sn but the fake stuff. This was causing weird stuff in the melt. I bought true 50/50 today
General consensus is the melt is too cold.

All will be fixed and sunday going to try it again.