PDA

View Full Version : Bullet Fins

larrymac1
01-26-2014, 11:20 AM
I cast and water drop my bullets so i don't catch the ones with fins until too late to pitch back into the pot. Has anyone discovered a way to remove those fins economically or should I just pitch them back and recast? I know the cause but sometimes my hand just gets tired and I ease up a bit on the handles.

I tried running some through the vibrating tumbler and had limited results but it did take the shine off the bullets.

dondiego
01-26-2014, 11:35 AM
Running them through a sizer helps. Also, I experienced finning with Lee 6 cavity molds by holding the handles too tightly together. The force caused the front of the blocks to open slightly causing the finning.

Beagle333
01-26-2014, 01:19 PM
If the finning is along the sides, a sizer will clean em right up. If it is also along the nose/ogive, you can sit there with a tub of em while watching the news or a ballgame and scrape it off with a carpet knife or an old pocket knife and use em for plinking. If there are many of them, I just save em and recast.

Pb2au
01-26-2014, 01:52 PM
I'm thinking you might have a gremlin in your mold.
Me, I'm lazy, I would toss them back in the inferno.

runfiverun
01-26-2014, 01:57 PM
I'd just re-run them.

Echo
01-26-2014, 01:59 PM
If they are finned, they are also probably overweight by a few grains - toss 'em back in the pot.