PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 450 for Tumble Lube Lee mould???

ravelode
01-26-2014, 01:17 AM
Yes I'm a noobie to this forum and I sure this has been asked before. How well do lee tumble lube bullets work with a conventional lubrisizer? I am using a Lyman 450 and TAC1 lube. Asking because a friend is offering me a good price on a replacement TL452-230TC for my worn out 452 200 RF but it's a TL mould. I've been casting with my dad's old Lyman 61 bottom pour since the late sixties:-D

Shiloh
01-26-2014, 10:33 AM
I've done it, but it defeats the purpose of the tumble lube idea. There didn't seem to be the surface area to hold the lube.
My recommendation is run your boolits through a LEE push through sizer, and lube with Alox or Recluse's 45-45-10 lube.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?67654-Tumble-Lubing-Made-Easy-amp-Mess-Free&p=718275&viewfull=1#post718275

If your boolits will chamber, you may skip the sizing part. I do it for consistency. I lube the unlubed boolits with a teaspoon of very diluted Alox or just mineral spirits for the trip through the push through sizer.

Shiloh

Foto Joe
01-26-2014, 12:25 PM
It can be done and it really isn't a problem, I use a Lee .358 TL and run those through a Lyman 4500. If given the choice I'd by the mold I want and not pay too much attention to whether or not it's a tumble lube. Free is good but I prefer to keep my 45ACP plinking rounds down to 200gr and get a free boolit every six or seven pours if you know what I mean.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-26-2014, 12:46 PM
Yes I'm a noobie to this forum and I sure this has been asked before. How well do lee tumble lube bullets work with a conventional lubrisizer? I am using a Lyman 450 and TAC1 lube. Asking because a friend is offering me a good price on a replacement TL452-230TC for my worn out 452 200 RF but it's a TL mould. I've been casting with my dad's old Lyman 61 bottom pour since the late sixties:-D

The Ranch Dog molds work great, because of the larger TL grooves. I don't think the Lee designs with the tiny grooves would work satisfactorily with a beeswax based lube IMHO.

Foto Joe
01-26-2014, 12:53 PM
I've been using Lyman 50/50 on those little .358's with no problem although if it's cold enough I do need to plug in the heater.

ravelode
01-26-2014, 10:19 PM
It can be done and it really isn't a problem, I use a Lee .358 TL and run those through a Lyman 4500. If given the choice I'd by the mold I want and not pay too much attention to whether or not it's a tumble lube. Free is good but I prefer to keep my 45ACP plinking rounds down to 200gr and get a free boolit every six or seven pours if you know what I mean.
I know what you mean having to dig most of my lead from range berms takes time I want to spend on other things