PDA

View Full Version : What my new PID has already taught me

Mike W1
01-25-2014, 09:50 PM
It's a pretty constant temperature, usually + or - a couple degrees at most with a PID.

Stem thermometers aren't necessarily accurate. Mine read 50+ degrees lower than actual.
They also don't respond very quickly.

My Lee pots had a larger variation of temperature than I had realized.

I don't return my sprue's to the pot while casting but the PID definitely affirmed why I don't.

Have little warming shelves on both my 10 lb pots that let me preheat moulds. THEY WORK! Also while casting each will hold 2 ingots so I can add them to the feed pot and run that one at a much lower setting now that I have a better idea of what temperatures are. When I've got it just right the pot with the PID doesn't even detect a temperature change.

And casting several days lately reaffirmed that 99% of getting good bullets is a STEADY FLOW and centering that flow into the sprue hole. Actually noticed that years ago when casting rifle bullets. If I managed that I had a good bullet in the mould. When I didn't, results weren't so good.

And with this particular alloy and mould I figure I'm casting about 115 deg. cooler!

Am lovin' that PID, thanks to all the good ideas and help over in Casting Gear.

Beagle333
01-26-2014, 12:30 AM
Ain't it great! I cast a bunch today with a ladle and a single cav HP mold. It was very nice to just sit out and enjoy the day and practice my casting cadence and routine while making my favorite HP boolit without even having to think about lead temp.:-D

44man
01-26-2014, 09:26 AM
I love a PID but those I had burned up and are expensive. I need one that LASTS! Don't have plans or a source.

Beagle333
01-26-2014, 11:05 AM
You should look at Frozone's PIDs. They aren't much more than the parts themselves and he offers a lifetime warranty.8-)