PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Bullet moulds in 38-55

McLintock
08-31-2005, 02:50 PM
There's been a number of these offered on E-Bay lately and I've thought about getting one. Does anyone know what diameter they typically drop bullets at or does it vary a lot with each mould? I have an original '94 made in '96 that slugs at .381 and getting good bullets for it has been a problem. Hunter Supply Bullets cast .381 like the Lyman 375449 has done fairly well in it with smokeless powder (26 gr of AA2015), but I'm trying to work up a black powder load with a 20-1 plain base bullet. Both my Lyman Moulds, a 375449 and 375448 cast at .379, so neither is big eough. I used Mountain Moulds computer design stuff and had them make me a 250 gr 2 lube groove bullet that casts at .381, but I think the grooves came out to shallow, although they are pretty wide. Also had Buffalo Arms make me a .381 sizer die for a Lyman/RCBS type lubrisizer. Got some loaded up right now that I'm going to try with 42 gr of Swiss 1.5 and the MM bullet. But still thinking about one of the Winchester moulds as they were originally designed for the gun and should cast big enough. Magma makes a 245 gr mould that throws at .381 or 2 but I don't think it has the lube capacity either for BP. Thanks for any help and advice.
McLintock