PDA

View Full Version : Google complains "Unusual traffic from your computer network"

ohland
01-25-2014, 05:59 PM
Just today, I was using Google's patent search to look at the various leaf sights, and I started to get "Unusual traffic from your computer network" and Google did not let me proceed. After some irritation, I went to work.

Though I'd like to tell you-all what I did next, but that lets the scammers get an idea. If you need some pointers, please PM me. Using Windows 7, but I believe this method will work on Vista/7/8.

:coffeecom

uscra112
01-26-2014, 12:10 AM
Your computer is being used for a 'bot-net". 1000 emails an hour or more, and you never know it.

Step 1, change your email account passwords. Set your preferences to require re-entry of password for every outgoing email. Step 2, don't use Gmail. Ever. Step 3, use firewall/virus program like McAfee. There are some freeware programs around, too. Spybot is a good one. Step 4. switch your email client to Mozilla Thunderbird. Not foolproof, but better. While you are at it, start running Firefox, too.

w5pv
01-26-2014, 11:12 AM
I have noticed that a times google will go to something different if you are searching for anything to do firearms or shooting.

ohland
01-26-2014, 11:52 AM
Step 1, change your email account passwords. Set your preferences to require re-entry of password for every outgoing email. Step 2, don't use Gmail. Ever. Step 3, use firewall/virus program like McAfee. There are some freeware programs around, too.Step 4. switch your email client to Mozilla Thunderbird... Firefox, too.

Soup sandwich, but the problem was Google was complaining while I was using FireFox 26 -OR- Internet Explorer 11. My email is Thunderbird. After annoyance (I do update my definitions for WindBlows 7), further searching found some PUPs. Removed them, but problem remained. There were rootkits. Zapped them, and Google is happy.

Some (if not all) of the PUPs were from firmware update packages, which were scanned by WindBlows prior to activation. Just shows you can't be lucky all the time.

The PUPs were of the phone home or remote access/control kind. For most of my (many) ID/passwords, I don't mind if they get compromised. BUT the important ones I do not have on my system. Less likely for a scanner to find stuff if its on paper next to your home system. NOTE: using notes at work with your secure password is NOT smart.

pressonregardless
01-26-2014, 12:00 PM
My email is Thunderbird.

How do you like Thunderbird? I'm thinking about getting rid of Gmail.

montana_charlie
01-26-2014, 02:19 PM
Your computer is being used for a 'bot-net". 1000 emails an hour or more, and you never know it.
How can it be that 'you never know it' if you are sending that much data?
Whether you connect via a modem, a router, or a wireless adapter ... they all have a 'light' which flashes as data is being passed.

If you are connected to the net and not browsing or receiving email at the moment, that 'busy light' should be (mostly) dark.

Can it be that you are STILL acting as a bot-net when you see no traffic indicator?

CM

ohland
01-26-2014, 04:15 PM
How do you like Thunderbird? I'm thinking about getting rid of Gmail.

I like Thunderbird. Much easier to set permissions and settings than under Internet Exploiter. Instead of zones, you can enable/disable stuff as desired. Some stuff isn't perfect, but on the whole, its far better, IMHO.

ohland
01-26-2014, 04:20 PM
How can it be that 'you never know it' if you are sending that much data?CM

This is also my question, I suppose you could set a log to record the amount of traffic your box is sending. Ethernet uses constant traffic, but the activity levels obviously differ when traffic is being passed. Odd, M$ hasn't seemed to provide a simple traffic monitoring app, I suppose one is within the performance measurement tools, but you would have to set it up first...

:coffeecom

dbosman
01-26-2014, 06:18 PM
If you want to monitor how often your local network (home wireless router) is targeted, install something like http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/firewall.php

The log files will surprise some folks and dismay others.

montana_charlie
01-26-2014, 06:19 PM
Odd, M$ hasn't seemed to provide a simple traffic monitoring app,
I'm still using XP, so you may find something else on the newer operating system features - but the old 'three finger salute' (CTRL/ALT/DELETE) brings up Windows Task Manager.
WTM has three tabs, and one of those is Networking.
The 'readout' on the Networking tab is a visual indication of data flowing through your 'connection(s) with the world' (if you have any).
There are a few simple choices you can make to 'customize' the kind of monitoring it performs.

CM

pressonregardless
01-26-2014, 06:28 PM
I like Thunderbird. Much easier to set permissions and settings than under Internet Exploiter. Instead of zones, you can enable/disable stuff as desired. Some stuff isn't perfect, but on the whole, its far better, IMHO.

Thanks, I'll look into it a little more.

dbosman
01-26-2014, 07:30 PM
I've been using alternative email readers for twenty years, so Thunderbird appeals to me.
That said, This one http://www.emclient.com/ is Outlook compatible, to the point of opening .PST files. It's free for personal use.

uscra112
01-27-2014, 03:58 AM
Yah, get as far away from Google as you can. Find out of your ISP offers it's own email. They usually do. I've been with www.outdrs.net since dialup days. They don't do scanning and selling of your emails, either.

T-bird client is pretty much flawless, IMHO. Only complaint is that it'll sometimes update automatically, and be slow to start while it installs the new files. No biggie.

Use Ixquick for web searches, or DuckDuckGo. Google's bias is notorious, and they sell your search history to spammers.

Firefox with AdBlock, Ghostery, and https-everywhere add-ins. You'll never see another unwanted pop-up.

jonp
01-28-2014, 11:15 AM
Norton 360 and don't turn it off. oh, STAY AWAY FROM THOSE SITES, YOU KNOW THE ONES I MEAN [smilie=1:

smokesahoy
01-29-2014, 06:49 AM
Google doesn't sell your information to spammers, they are much smarter than that. Google controls both sides.

When they finally go skynet on us it's gonna be scary. Most jobs are full of people that got where they were thru networking and nepotism with ability lagging behind. Google sniped the top talent from everywhere.

I have a love hate relationship with them. I know something bad is in the pipeline but they are so much smarter and more innovative than the competition there is no comparison.

joelitespeed
01-29-2014, 12:09 PM
Google doesn't sell your information to spammers, they are much smarter than that. Google controls both sides.

When they finally go skynet on us it's gonna be scary. Most jobs are full of people that got where they were thru networking and nepotism with ability lagging behind. Google sniped the top talent from everywhere.

I have a love hate relationship with them. I know something bad is in the pipeline but they are so much smarter and more innovative than the competition there is no comparison.

This is my problem as well. Its the doubel edged sword. I hate that i use them and feel dirty every time...