PDA

View Full Version : Finally spent a night in a hospital

snowwolfe
01-25-2014, 10:28 AM
I'll turn 61 in April and been having issues with herniated disks in my neck for about the 17 last years. PT and home exercises helped keep surgery at bay until this past August when the pain came back in a violent force. A few doctor visits and an MRI later showed three disks in my neck, C5-7 had to be replaced and a titanium plate installed to help fuse the vertebra together. They cut a hole in the front of my neck to replace the disks and install the plate.

Woke up to a horrible sore throat but almost all the pain on left side which was were the nerve was pinched is now gone. They claim a complete recovery in three months and I should be able to go home this afternoon.

I just want to know when I can go shooting again and eat a steak:) Will say I am super pleased at the quality of care by all the staff and the nurses. Am at the Sky Ridge medical Center in Lone Tree CO which is nicely located within 1 mile of a Cabela's store.

Saltner
01-25-2014, 10:35 AM
I wish you a speedy recovery, and as they say in my part of the best skin care is hot [smilie=1:

bayjoe
01-25-2014, 11:21 AM
Sounds like you are on the road to recovery. I would suggest starting to shoot with a 22 and steak is steak even in tiny small bites.

DLCTEX
01-25-2014, 11:23 AM
Two of my nephews had that surgery. One lost his voice for a month and the other for almost a year. How is yours?

w5pv
01-25-2014, 11:58 AM
Spinal pain sucks had surgey done in 97,felt better in the recovery room than when I did going in.prayers for you and a speedy recovery.

snowwolfe
01-25-2014, 12:37 PM
Voice is fine. Throat is sore. My entire left safe is basically pain free and the entire side is where it hurt the most before surgery. Right shoulder and neck is a little sore and after seeing the surgery on youtube I can now understand why. Should be home today.

All I can say is thank heavens for Tricare. It is just to bad Obama is trying to chip away after our retired military benefits. Us retired military guys earned these benefits so he has no business thinking we did not. Especially since he did now serve a single day in his life.

Thanks for the well wishes.

CGT80
01-25-2014, 02:56 PM
Did they use artificial joints or just fuse the vertebra together so they don't move?

My dad had the fusion in his neck. He might have had wear on his neck already, but what did him in was actually physical rehab for a cut tendon in his finger. A stretch behind his neck with a weight, ordered and done with a therapist, caused damage to the joints. He has problems with the joints next to the fusion now but is hoping to get the artificial joints so he doesn't loose more range of motion.

My chiropractor did say that the joints next to the fusion will take more stress since part of the neck is not mobile. He recommended adjustment above and below the fusion and stretching and massage to keep the neck as flexible as possible. Of course my dad doesn't do any stretches or massage and has never seen a chiropractor. My current Chiro is all about having the patient do whatever they can to decrease visits for adjustments. I seem to have major muscle tension issues, which will just undo any adjustment the Chiro does. The more I stretch, the better I seem to do.

Good luck on your recovery. I'm glad to hear that you are already getting relief.

snowwolfe
01-25-2014, 03:15 PM
I guess there are several surgical options but I elected to have the disks made out of a cadaver hip bone replacement. First they grind open a hole in each of the affected vertebrae. Then they cut disks to fit into place. Once these disks are cut and sized they are placed in-between the vertebra where your disks used to be then they inject them with stem cells that are removed from your own hip. Then a titanium plate is attached to each of your vertebra and they suture up the opening.
If you need any more medical info that's as far as I can go:)

My mistake was watching the surgery on youtube prior to being operated on. Not a good idea, lol.

remy3424
01-25-2014, 03:54 PM
I feel your pain...well lower in my spine....5 years ago I had a disk herniation on the L5 or S5 and I am fighting it again..going through PT now, not sure it is helping, supposed to have a MRI in 2 weeks....hoping I had improved greatly by then...hoping. Sounds like you are on the right road now.

snowwolfe
01-25-2014, 04:34 PM
According to my research disk replacement surgery was just approved by the FDA in 2004. PT helps but in the long run think surgery is the best cure to get you back to being pain free.

DRNurse1
01-25-2014, 04:41 PM
Prayers for a speedy recovery. Follow the PT advice and push but not too much. The sore throat is from the anesthesia device (endotracheal tube).

AkMike
01-25-2014, 04:42 PM
Sorry to hear about this Randy, but it sounds as if you're getting it fixed the best way for the long run.
I had a friend that had this done and he was pain free afterwards. He still was afraid to wear a heavy snowmachine helmet but a warm fur hat worked fine.

jonp
01-25-2014, 05:44 PM
Congrats on the succesful surgery. My proscribed get well medicine is a new firearm to help your recovery. Well, that is always my answer but you shouldn't let that cabelas go to waste

opos
01-25-2014, 05:47 PM
My wife had the exact same surgery about 3 years ago...and it really worked great for her....I wish you a speedy recovery....I urge you to do what the doc says about lifting, bending, etc...my Wife did exactly as told...wore a brace for all the time she was told and has had a wonderful result...the doc said that often times folks get to feeling better right away and don't let the fusion fully knit and it can cause difficulty later on...so do what the "doctor ordered" and enjoy your new pain free life.
opos

snowwolfe
01-25-2014, 07:57 PM
Mike and others,
Thanks! I already feel 200% better as the pain was so bad prior to surgery my left side was useless. Trust me, when it comes to protecting my spine nothing takes priority.
Had to cancel my Bison hunt with Randy Routier for next month but he is a nice guy and we just rescheduled for next fall.

OBIII
01-26-2014, 03:02 AM
I had C2 through C7 replaced with titanium rods and pins. They went in through the back and my recovery took a bit longer. This has been about 10 years ago, and still 100% better than it was before the surgery. Hang in there, and you'll be as good as new before you know it.

OB