PDA

View Full Version : Cast boolits for IMI Timberwolf .357

cwheel
01-24-2014, 11:20 PM
Hello to all. Getting ready to run more .357's in the Dillon 550 again this spring. Usually load cast boolits from grandfathers old Ideal #358156 semi wad cutter 4 banger mold. This is a gas check mold, 156 gr. semi wad cutter design. 38 spcl gets used without a gas check, .357 with. Works well in everything I have except the Timberwolf pump .357 I have. This semi wad cutter mold doesn't seam to want to feed in the pump rifle, flat nose gets jammed on the bottom of the barrel ramp feeding. This problem could be the same with a lever action. Thinking about making my own mold as a project, but thought I'd ask if anyone else has had this problem with a lever action, or another Timberwolf pump. No reason to reinvent the wheel if it isn't necessary. I was thinking a round nose would work better in this rifle, but it has a tube magazine like a lever action, a round nose might set off rounds in the tube ?? Object here, if I have to buy a new mold, would like it to work with several pistols, my Martini Cadet in .357, as well as feed in the Timberwolf. Because of the FPS in the rifles, ( 1850 FPS more or less in rifles ) needs to have a gas check when loaded into .357. Would like to have a boolit in the 150 - 160 gr. range. ( no hollow point ) Thinking it would be great if any 38 special or .357 loaded with this boolit would work well in all of these firearms. I know that boolit performance is a different issue. Any ideas ??? Thanks,
Chris

runfiverun
01-24-2014, 11:39 PM
rcbs makes a super nice 38 caliber cowboy mold that's a rnfp, it comes in about 150-160 grs depending on alloy.

cwheel
01-25-2014, 12:56 PM
I'll go over to the RCBS web site, see if I can look that one up, thanks,
Chris

cwheel
01-25-2014, 01:14 PM
Went over and look it up, yes you are right, like the profile but no gas check grove. Thinking it would be great for pistol, but I'd want the gas check for rifle speeds. If I end up making my own, thinking I'll end up using that profile and add a gas check grove. Still looking, thanks,
Chris

BattleRife
01-25-2014, 02:09 PM
Sounds like a project tailor-made for Accurate Molds. They show a big catalogue in that weight range, something like the 36-158S might be to your liking.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=36-158S-D.png

runfiverun
01-25-2014, 02:55 PM
you are really pushing it getting the boolits up that fast.
I know 1600 is easily doable with that boolit in a rifle.
I might have been able to go faster but I couldn't get much more and still have the loads correspond with my sights adjustments.

cwheel
01-25-2014, 11:41 PM
Turns out my normal Blue Dot loads seam to do that over the chrony with jacketed, and not much effort. The Martini Cadet has more barrel than the Timberwolf, ( 7" more ) so I think speeds out of that will end up being a few feet faster. Also, when rebored to .357 from .310, the person who rifled the barrel did what resembles Marlin microgrove, why, I don't know. If this microgrove rifling somehow adds speed is also an unknown. It will be fun finding out these answers. As for cast, ( in .357 ) this will be the first try with cast with this new boolit and speeds, leading, and accuracy and what the final loading will be are all unknowns subject to workups. Martini has a 25" barrel, Timberwolf has a 18". Also want this boolit to work well in .357 handguns with barrels down to 2 1/2" long. Think I'm asking a lot out of the boolit design. I think Battlerifle might have nailed it with the Accurate mold reference. My mill is sitting idle here, could make my own, but the time cutting and grinding a cherry in that shape might make the price of a 6 banger from them look cheap. Weather I buy a mold or make, my thanks go out to Battlerifle for the fine blue print, almost exactly what I think might work. I'll get a price quote from Accurate, and decide if I build or buy. Retired machinists have more time than money.
Chris